Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
March 28, 2024, 08:53:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you agree?
Yes
No

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A little change in the rules  (Read 8566 times)
Jan`go Vhett
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2010, 12:32:28 AM »

I think we need to show Emi how much all us players agree on this.
There needs to be a rule stating you are allowed to have one account and one account only.
Of course there needs to be a workaround for brothers or people on the same network, but overall I think we need this and I am positive the majority of you agree.
Report to moderator   Logged

Need an s-ship? If you have Gold just search Jangos, then select the price you want. If you don't have Gold just pm me for a design.
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:44:48 AM »

The problem is that Emi does not believe it gives enough of an advantage, or causes enough problems to write up the coding, and have to pay someone to keep watch over it. Basically the return is not worth the headache to him.
That being said, perhaps we should come up with a list of reasons it causes problems, a list of ideas to fix it, and a list of volunteers willing to help.
---Wes

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 06:46:14 AM »

what about people who like to have an ID at every 100,1000,10000,100000 increment

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
Jonathan16
Corporal

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 10:06:58 AM »

lammerlord are you reading this LOL what happed to you  21

DJJBOMB (#11554)
Fester
Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:20:30 AM »

I think I agree with this (my alt is putting up a very strong argument against thought  confused),

I will say it is impossible not to benefit from playing 2 accounts, even if it is as basic as using one to test ships then the other account will/can use what works.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem in sending my alter alter ego to the scrapheap.
Jonathan16
Corporal

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

if you abusee your alt attacking anther player then attack the player with your main then both accounts should be banned on the game.

DJJBOMB (#11554)
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »

Actually one other benefit of banning alts is that people are more likely to play multi servers and give them more life.
It would be very difficult to manage, as family can share one IP address, and others could easily use different addresses to have multi accounts.
Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 07:18:39 PM »

ya i strongly agree with this update.  i have posted some stuff for this in the abusee thread if you want to look there.

http://forum.spaceo.net/index.php/topic,6093.0/topicseen.html

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 03:13:16 AM »

I encourage anyone who voted against banning multi's to come forward and explain why! I would venture a guess that a majority of those people won't come forward as they are the ones who most benefit from alts.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Jonathan16
Corporal

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »

i not going lie, i use alt myself being top 20/30 there no1 to attack.

jezzs so bord, you have to make a noob account and attack people.
i would say everyone on the game high in the ranking does the same as me. i only use emi ships he put on each account so it not like i buying my own ship.

but at the same time i mail them with my main account and tell them how to stop being killed e.g. powerfleet to use a different tips like ( worvand(#132397) ) now he doing better than he was.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:07:47 AM by Jonathan16 » Report to moderator   Logged

DJJBOMB (#11554)
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »

Personally I like having an alt to occasionally play with. I use it to play a completely different style to my main but usually only early in the round when it has the trial gold account. After that it becomes too expensive to buy anything so It goes into hibernation. Another reason I only play it early in the round is that he only has a few ships cloned or built.... too much effort designing new ships for a new account.
  If a decision to stop alts was made then I'd accept it as I wouldnt lose anything. The 2 accounts are entirely independant of each other, dont even use my mains ships on it.
 Alt abuse normally comes from people 'looking after' other players accounts, I imagine alot of the time no one knows when you've been the victim of this. I have once or twice 'looked after' another persons account, but I was extremely careful not even to be in the same part of the galaxy as my own account. Alts are useful if people play by the rules, its the minority that can ruin it.
 The best use of an alt is to help train new players, maybe Emi could give certain dispensation to some players that are reknown trainers, but clearly have the accounts flagged as a training alt.

V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »

While there are a few good reasons for alts, I firmly believe the bad ones severely outweigh the good ones.
For instance, I saw a player attack one of my alliance members in the News, using his alt, which he also played as an entirely seperate entity.
However, since I knew it was his alt, I then can use my account to take both his main and his alts planets, stations, ships, etc. Thus forcing him into linking the two accounts, even though he plays them separately...
Also, if I were to say to him, on his main account "if this happens again, ill zero you, your alliance mates, and your alts alliance mates" then I am again forcing a linking between the two accounts.
He actually brought up this point and I believe it is another good one to show just how harmful alts are becoming...

Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »

I agree completely with what wes is saying.  There are a lot of good uses for alts, but they are just too confusing and cause too many problems and contraversy in the game....  I agree with Saturn that training alts should be allowed (I have one myself), but they should not be able to take action, only train other players.

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
KenquinnTheInsaneOne
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:21:58 AM »

If we were to ban alts this is the system I would want to use due to some people have a half dozen accounts.

You can have as many accounts as you want per IP. However each round you must select an account as your designated driver. The rest of the accounts related to your IP address have turn generation/spending disabled until a new round starts. You may then transfer your designated driver status to another account if you wish to.

This would allow people to have multiple accounts and to keep their existing alts but significantly reduce the amount of alt using players. It wont eliminate them al as it is IP based but it should get rid of many.
Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 12:26:22 AM »

I dont see what the point would be of switching between accounts each round....   If you could only play one account per round why would you even want 2?

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: