Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
June 15, 2024, 06:27:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: trying understand defense.  (Read 3421 times)
Drackin
Corporal

the world is like a marble, roll with it

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2008, 02:18:54 AM »

im trying to understand defense better. from what i gather defense protects 5 times the amount of total defense of your ship. this means that if you have 1 defense it will protect for 5 points of damage. now if im right, HP protects 1 times the amount of HP so with 1 HP you are protected from 1 damage. now if defense costs 10 times more than HP with only 5 times the protection what makes it worth using? it would have to be either 5 times the price of HP or 10 times the protection just to make it the same as HP. so what bit of info am i missing here?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:48:48 AM by Drackin » Report to moderator   Logged

waylain16
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 02:25:51 AM »

ok i have no idea what the hell that is above me but i do know one thing, is that all the big ship builders and everyone i have talked to, is the defense is a waste of money and space, use it for something bigger and better. Defense = WASTE OF EVERYTHING
Report to moderator   Logged

Drackin
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 02:51:59 AM »

no offense but if you dont know anything about it you probably should not respond to it.. im only asking about defense cause the last update was supposed to make defense worth using again. and since its been worthless for soooo long, i dont know really anything about it. plus i also am wondering  if defense effects marines and what the ratio is for that if anyone knows.

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 06:56:19 AM »

defence is added up for the entire fleet

if u have 10 ships in 1 fleet with 500 def each, and a fleet attacking that with 4999 attack (after accuracy), then u wont lose any of those 10 ships. another great thing about def is that it renews after ever fleet engages.

if that 1 fleet goes up against 10 fleets each with 4999 attack, u still wont lose a single ship.

dont forget to use absorb 19

you probably already knew all of this, but heres the better part.

before the defence is hit by the attacking fleet, the absorb factors in. if u have 80% absorb on ur fleet, than it effectively has 25X the shown defence. 5 times for the absorb, 5 times for the last update, and if u have a swarm bonus, u get between 2-6X more defence actually shown.

depending on the situation, defence can actually be very effective.

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »

The best thing about defence is for swarmers as it will as jessie said stack up for all your ships. And your crew bonus will make your defence go up.

Defence costs 50x as much as Health (500 to 10) so its still 10x as expensive as HP.

And dont forget because you can add a defence bonus% you can make defence somewhat cheaper as if you make a 100 mill costing swarmers you can easily get a bonus to it.

Drackin
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »

so defense is still mostly worthless in single fleets then?.. and is there any particular ratio of def to hp that you use in your swarmers?

KenquinnTheInsaneOne
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:27:02 PM »

so defense is still mostly worthless in single fleets then?.. and is there any particular ratio of def to hp that you use in your swarmers?
Mine use a 1 : 1 ratio as you'll get at least 11x normal HPs from the swarm mod. Of course my defense swamers don't have any real field experience so it's purely based on statistics.
lostedchylde
Staff Sergeant

Beware this heart of gold, This heart is cold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 04:58:01 PM »

im trying to understand defense better. from what i gather defense protects 5 times the amount of total defense of your ship. this means that if you have 1 defense it will protect for 5 points of damage. now if im right, HP protects 1 times the amount of HP so with 1 HP you are protected from 1 damage. now if defense costs 10 times more than HP with only 5 times the protection what makes it worth using? it would have to be either 5 times the price of HP or 10 times the protection just to make it the same as HP. so what bit of info am i missing here?

your not really missing anything. the only reason to buy defense is for swarmers because if the total damage is LESS than the total defense, you lose no ships, where as with hit points you do lose some. if you don grasp this just forget about defense and don use it.

Lostedchylde is Loveless Incarnate.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: