Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
June 23, 2024, 04:02:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Overhaul of bases for SO WARS  (Read 5327 times)
Chrys
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2007, 11:53:46 PM »

Dear Emi...
I would very much like to suggest for a complete overhaul of bases for SO WARS.
Bases are very much a white elephant in which investing in the techs for the bases be a big black hole.
Currently, the only useful tech to research are the cloaks and anti-cloaks...which is more like an arms race. I would like to suggest somethings.

1. Bases have a higher starting ATK value...maybe 50-60bill if you want to maintain the current 5% acc..or maybe 30-40bill ATK while giving it  50% ACC...this will give make bases somewhat useful in defending fleets and itself and reduce the cost of ACC upgrades. Currently, bases just arent proving itself any use in defending fleets.

2.Base HP improvements give...25%HP for the armour tech...50%HP for the nano tech... per upgrade. I argue that bases need to be able to soak damage. and with the high cost for techs u imposed already, it has to be made worthwhile. and considering, with this kind of bonuses, bases can now then keep pace with big ships much more easily.

3.Base ATK improvements give 50% bonus to ATK. using same theory as the above, this tech would help keep the bases a useful place to be at. Increasing cost for the ATK tech can keep this in check.

4. Having a Multi strike satelite tech in the system fleet tech screen. This tech adds a +1 to the number of fleets it can engage and dividing the damage between the number of fleets it attacks. E.g. u have a lvl 2 in this tech allowing u to attack 3 fleets. (+1 inherent and +2 due lvl upgrade) ur base has 60bill ATK....ur base engages 3 fleets but divides the 60bill among the 3 thus doing only 20bill to each fleet stack.
this would help kill the hp boat followed by mass swarmer fleets tactic.

5. An complement to the tech above... A Multi strike satelite energy storage. Tech gives a +5% bonus to atk per upgrade.
    [ATK / (no of satelite)]*[100%+(5%*lvl of energy bonus)]
   this tech would help make the earlier tech more lethal to multifleets.

6. Having a Fleet cloak Tech after the warp bubble tech. This tech allows fleet to be hidden at bases even in the RANK screen. Only way to break the fleet cloak is to kill the base. Make this tech expensive to research and exp to install. If any fleets hiding at the base, the base cloak value drops a lvl or 2..thus having a chance to expose the base but still hiding the fleets and making it even out.

My idea is having fleet cloaks drops the base cloak lvl..exposing it...therefore the HP/ATK upgrades will kick in. If u invest in the upgrades giving those bonuses, ur base will have a much higher chance withstanding attacks and doing actual damage. The Multi satelite would make base hunting more costly to attackers.

My suggestions do not make bases a huge monster but it does give it a fighting chance. Increase the bonuses the upgrade gives is the only way for it to keep up with the ships. It also gives players the choice in researching. Rather than using the cps solely for additional bases and play an arms race for cloaks. Making strong bases a possibility can negate the need for cloaks if the player so chooses then. Bcos rite now, bases are really really sad in SO WARS.

P.S....I knw the coding will kinda kill u adding more work for ya...but i believe it would make it better and enjoyable for your supporters. or just me. \=]
thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:55:41 PM by Chrys » Report to moderator   Logged

Quote of the day "I have sucessfully countered a lot of people before, espically dday. it didn't show up on the news because i had 0 ships when they atatcked me and they had 0 ships when i attacked them back." Ninjastrike40
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:16:02 AM »

I think that rather than individual bases, there needs to be something completely different. What you've suggested is really only a temperary solution. Eventually the players will get bigger than the bases. I would prefer alliance bases that i think i posted somewhere on the forum. Ill find the link when i get the chance.

K here it is. I think that the alliance bases would be a better alternative because then they grow with the players. Also there is less of a reward for attacking a smaller alliance and it limits the attacks that can be made. It would encourage poeple to chose smart alliances and bring in a new aspect of the game

http://forum.spaceo.net/index.php/topic,2681.msg32594.html#msg32594
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 02:24:27 AM by thezerg » Report to moderator   Logged

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 05:13:34 AM »

I'm not sure how you would implement any changes to the way Bases work without disadvantaging someone who has say built their game strategy around the way Bases currently work. I'm not against the idea of changing the way they function, and I queried the way they work and made suggestions fairly early on in the game.  10

I think if Bases were clearly identifiable as to who they belonged too, it would prevent a lot of unnecessary Base destruction. It's next to impossible to tell who owns a Base currently, and hence you have to destroy it in case it belongs to the enemy. I know I wouldn't have killed 90% of the bases I have killed if only I could easily identify who they belong too.  7

I'd like to see Bases take ownership of Quadrants, preventing non alliance members from Building/Mining in that Quadrant, if not preventing travel outright through the Based Quadrants. Unless perhaps you have a Truce with the other Alliance, then you can travel through there.  21

Anyhow, just my thoughts.  15
Report to moderator   Logged

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:53:59 AM »

I've had a chat with Sir Emi last night, and he is working on making a way better technology to protect your bases. When this technology will be released it will probably have a huge bonus to HP, but balancing the cost to its effect is still a problem. Aswell there is a change that some of the existing technology's (like extra HP/ATT/ACC/ABS) are going to be decreased it cost. This is not entirely sure so dont shoot me if I'm wrong.

Hope this answers your questions abit 1

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:05:59 AM »

We're thinking of boosting the HP % of the current techs to make bases harder and add a two new techs on the base tech tree at the bottom, that will be like the ultimate defensive tool for the base, one that will add 100% HP and 30% Attack per level and one that adds 10% Abosorb.

Tech prices will be 3 x Nanobot tech for the first, and 2 x of the other absorb module for the other...

thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 12:41:26 PM »

Im not sure but does the 100% add from the starting hp or the total hp. ie does it go up 100bil each time or double each time. I would think that in order to solve the problem, it would need to be the latter, because other commanders grow exponetially too

Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 02:14:28 PM »

I have a couple of base suggestions also. 

I would like to see bases automatically fire on unfriendly targets as they enter the system - a free attack with no return fire.  I think you would need to add a warning on the nav computer - something like "WARNING: You are about to warp into hostile territory, and you will be fired upon - do you wish to continue?"

In addition to that I would like to see the ability to make like mini-bases - call them "Armed Satellites" or something.  Maybe allow the building of about 8, and +2 per tech level or some such.  A star could either have a base or Armed Satellite, not both - and they wouldnt allow the building of a mining facility.

The Armed Satellites would automatically fire at each unfriendly fleet entering the system, so they would fire up to 10 times if the unfriendly had 10 fleets.  The idea of multiple firing is to make them a real deterrent, if they fired once - people would just have their main ship take the hit and bounce it.  Multiple firing gives them a higher threat value - and might mean some losses of swarmers etc.

I would say cloaking modules would not be a good option for them, rather make them cheap to replace.

Design wise, they should be cheap to build, fairly easy to kill - but have large attack values.  They would be to mark out your alliances territory, and provide a deterrent for unfriendly targets wanting to navigate through your controlled space.

For game purposes they would allow alliances to create an ownership zone, and control some parts of the map.
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »

Didnt think I would say this to an Armageddon Inc, but thats realy a ****** great idear :o

Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 08:16:07 PM »

I'm all for the 'Armed Satellite" idea. I like it a lot.

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:19:04 PM »

It would make the game interesting for sure. I guess as long as there is a warning. And i think it would be more of +2 per alliance member and their power would be based on the average power of the members and only the leader would be able to place it. It would make the alliances into something more which i would like to see
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:22:22 AM by thezerg » Report to moderator   Logged

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 01:07:04 AM »

if we're going down that road, then alliances should be allowed to build sats with their alliance mates' sats (kinda like system fleets)

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 01:46:59 AM »

Whatever happened to the new Base Techs ?

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »

planets, boarding, incursion and commanders happened

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »

the armed staelites and controlling secters is a great idea. but with the arguement about station stats increasing, what would u rather have, increased stats on station, or huge planets?

either way, great idea amagnon.

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 02:33:44 AM »

Made a new topic for this thread - feel free to copy and paste anything still relevent into the new thread.

The issue with this thread is that our understanding of the game has (or should have 16) improved since the original posts were made - so I think in most cases they are obsolete.

If you think theres useful stuff in this thread thats still current, please transfer to the new thread.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 03:09:41 AM by Amagnon » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: