Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
June 23, 2024, 04:13:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New accounts on Wars  (Read 17559 times)
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »

alright... leme sum your argument tzarkoth we cant compensate people for starting ate in a universe that doesnt reset because they might violate terms of service. so... i guess since new acounts can create alts so can old acounts... so... i guess we just have to ban all acounts other wise people could violate tos. i know this is a ratehr incomplete thought but you should get the gist... my point is, we cant not do something JUST because a player might violate tos with it. thats what tos is for. a player that does that gets kicked to the curb. that problem is solved and i am sick as it coming up as a reason for not giving noobs some MUCH needed help.
Report to moderator   Logged

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 01:44:36 AM »

No, my point is that it you don't have to give anyone anything.

Giving free stuff to new accounts is a dumb idea.

The bonus of starting late in the universe is that you are small, you can go about your business un-noticed, you have a 95% chance of warping away, and most people won't even bother to attack you. Every so often you'll come across a retired player's mothership in your FP range, and you can LOOT it to your hearts content.

The voting mechanic already gives the new guy a huge leg up.

All they need to do is learn how to play by reading and asking questions etc.

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM »

i still say there is no way for a new guy to catch any top guy on wars... expecially the top ones with cloaked bases

Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 01:10:03 PM »

i still say there is no way for a new guy to catch any top guy on wars... expecially the top ones with cloaked bases

Well, I'd be annoyed if a new player could challenge the months of effort the top guys have expended.

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

... right now, i think that i new player could catch up in 6-8 months if they RLY tried and got a gold account. a year from now it will be virtually impossible for a new player to catch up. maybe noobs don't need anything NOW but i think that in the not too distant future, if u want the gamer pool to increase, they will need SOMETHING.

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2007, 01:12:04 AM »

im not saying make it to where noobs can come in and rule.. just give them a better start..

FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »

If you al start small but equal, well ok thats fun. But if you cant build bases and have to relie on missions solely, you'll have a slower start then I had. And then the money to do encounters would come in handy and if you would give them a reasonable start it will increase the mid-ranked battlefield alot and will increase the number of possible attacks instead that the power of everyone gets spread out more and more and more because the new players will have a though job on getting anywere near players that already played for a extend period of time.

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 09:20:22 AM »

I agree with FTP. i started a couple months ago, got a gold account and STILL cant build bases without them getting killed (and i'm in the top 30!).

-Silence444-
Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 09:55:00 AM »

I agree with FTP. i started a couple months ago, got a gold account and STILL cant build bases without them getting killed (and i'm in the top 30!).

Need more cloaking imo.

I'd be all for tweaking the low lvl encounter spawns for people so they can generate CP, segments, turns etc through encounters.

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
Chrys
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 10:08:20 AM »

tzarkoth..i agree...for late comers getting higher encrypts spawn rate and maybe a x2 or x3 turn gain...for abt a mth or so..that way they can grow in segs and have turns to use for research if they should choose that path.

Quote of the day "I have sucessfully countered a lot of people before, espically dday. it didn't show up on the news because i had 0 ships when they atatcked me and they had 0 ships when i attacked them back." Ninjastrike40
Jay Wolfsbane
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 12:54:01 AM »

I, As a new player, Believe that a change in new accounts is in order.
Though i havent been attacked i feel that most players shoudl have a small grace period.
However i do not agree on it being time related.

I am a programmer, Thus these types of games Are all i can actually play on my limited spare time.
thus so that when i played this certain game i realized they have a grace period set based off turns.
Emi already keeps track of number of turns that were taken, this means using that variable he can disable the ability to attack or be attacked by other players till the turns reach a certain limit... I just reached my 20K turn mark. maybe 10K turns is a good cutoff from protection.

im sure that if some players have such an experience that I have had, they would be more likely to stay and not retire immediately.
Playing the game and dying right off by a high ranked player is a real turn off. that 10k turn grace period may bring about a longer lifespan of players and More support for the game itself... Eh Emi?
Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 09:23:54 AM »

I have a suggestion here also - I think that some mechanism is needed to not only push up the bottom, but to slow the top as well (dont throw a fit here ok lol - Im top 10 also).  The more we can compress the players power, the more competitive it will become.

I suggest a simple way is to have 3 bands of encryption rewards.  Low, medium and high.  At the low end, segs reward is doubled, in the middle its normal, at the top halved. 

So for example if you have an encryption level of less than 100, then you get 100 segs per mission (of any level).  Then if your encryption level lies between 100 and 200, then you get 50 segs per mission - agin its not the mission level itself that dictates the reward - but the players encryption level.  After level 200 encryption reward is 25 segs.

Every month the encryption caps can be reviewed and if needed they can be adjusted.

This will tend to allow starting players to quickly become competive, it will also compress the top of the ladder as well, which in my view is a good thing - more viable PvP targets are available.

I should also draw reference to the other suggestion I made about increasing turns costs of missions and increasing segs reward - this will also tend to attract and benefit starting players.

As an aside - new players simply shouldnt be trying to build bases - they should be investing in cloaking and getting their segs up.  Scanning is so much more costly than cloaking, so much so that even new players will be able to get cloaking over the highest scanning tech available within a reasonable time period - we have seen this is the case several times within our own alliance.  Members have joined - built segs - got the cloaking they need, then installed bases successfully.

And .. mining facilities are great sources of income - but they arent the only source of income. 

I agree with Tz - I dont think anyone needs a free lunch, but a broad mechanic designed to compress players into a similar band of power I think is a good thing for the PvP game.
Satan
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 08:43:32 PM »

i think it dosent really matter a whole lot.... this server goes on forever so if someon wants to devote teh tiem requitred tyo go form last too # 1 then they should be able to do it. giving them boosts and ect and slowing down players highger up dosent make much sense to me, if someone wnaqts to reach teh top then thedy can sooner or later.

As long as two people live on this earth, there will be war.
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 10:49:27 PM »

Any sort of crepression of the top isnt needed. The seg missions will eventually reach the point where you will find enough missions where you can use all your turns without moving. When you get near this point, you grow linearly rather than exponetially. This will mean that the differences between players matter less and less

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2007, 10:16:16 AM »

Needs something.

My personal preference would be this - any new player starts with a Commander who has an XP level as if he had been created at the start of the game.  Comes along with all that CP.

If you put this in - then you should automatically advance anyone who's commander is below that level up to that level.

THey wouldnt have the cash etc to spend it all on tech etc, and turns would be a constraint, - but at least they can hide and get some segs and so on - and if they spend wisely they will become competitive fairly quickly.

Alts exploiting that - well  - so what.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: