Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 18, 2024, 07:42:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Galaxy Map, Quadrant Map, System Map, Space Odyssey 2D  (Read 22612 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: April 17, 2006, 09:00:05 AM »

The name says it all, I've been testing with a 2D map of the Galaxy. I took 20+ hours this weekend to see if I can get a Galaxy generator up and running, and it was a complete success 1

The Galaxy map has 100 quadrants, and each quadrant has a couple of stars in it. The map works in every browser, will load fast on Dial Up, and uses only simple javascript.

When a new commander joins, he / she will be placed in a random quadrant. From here, the commander can explore the galaxy, view a detailed map of the quadrant, the map of the system, build facility in the system, mining outpost, space stations in the quadrant, gain territory, etc.

As this is in prototype phase, the basic tasks are:
- To be able to move in the galaxy, jumping from one star to the other will require turns. There will be no jump lines, if you have enough turns, you can jump all over the galaxy. (Basic navigation task complete)
- To build a basic mining outpost, hire some workers, than stay there and protect, or leave a couple of fleets to protect. credits production will be stored in the mining outpost stash, so you will need to come back later for it, or just wait.
- Each star has a certain type, Class M, Class G, Neutron, Black hole, etc. Some stars will influence others, like a black hole near... Each star has resource level, acording to how big it is, the surounding stars effects, special objects in the systems, facilities build, etc.

When this is done, it will need some testing, probably just building whitout attacking, or only attack the pirates in the systems, etc, until we figure out how it works.

This is just a screenshot of the Galaxy map, quadrant and system maps will zoom in on this:
http://www.spaceo.net/images/gal.jpg
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 09:05:02 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 11:12:07 AM »

I don't know, this is starting to head a bit too much towards the game Pardus now. I like SO just how it is now, no moving your ship or anything like that. But then again, with this, you could have an alliance base and sit in a quadrant an ambush people. I don't know, sounds neat and all, but Pardus has something just like this and it wasn't that great.....
Report to moderator   Logged

FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:44:50 PM »

I do not think we should head to much off the starting idear of this game. I like SO as it is now, to much extra's would make it to hard to get in as newbie. And extra's not always contributing positive to a game.

Greetz FTP

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 12:59:50 PM »

This will not change the gameplay as it is, it will only provide more attraction.
You could still win whitout ever opening the galaxy map.
When you get bored of missions, exploring the galaxy could bring a little fun...

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:16:15 PM »

hmmm...  this could be interesting.  and luffy, this game will NEVER be like pardus.  pardus has something this game never used, and that is pre-set units.  as far as I know, the 1 main, distinguishing feature setting this game apart from a surprisingly large majority of the others is the fact you don't just go out and buy a "deathstar" or something, you have to design it yourself to. 
main differences:
pardus ~ Space Odyssey (if I am getting this right)
pre-set units ~ everything self designed
1 ship per person ~ unlimited fleet numbers
limited movement throughout the galaxy ~ point, click, go, your there.  not much else, other then figuring out where to go
extensive building dependencies spread out ~ stand alone structures on single planets

Sir Emi, I think this is going to be great, especially if you keep it from having to move 4 little squares at a time throughout a galaxy of millions of squares. 

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 12:58:21 AM »

Ooo sounds familier to what i was thinking earlyer XD

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
nukeman1993
Private

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 09:24:27 PM »

Sounds very interesting, I would like to see how it works out in gameplay. It will either work very well or it will bomb horribly. But it looks like the map is very large. I have a question, Can you only attack the people in your quadrant or would you still be able to attack anyone? Also, the mining outpost is it seperate from your secert base? If it isn't then will you be able to check on it as you move around. Like a new page that you will see all your current mining outposts. I really hope it turns out well!
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 11:10:54 PM »

hmm...  such a huge project, I defeintely hope you will give a test time, or a different server or something.  honestly, I don't really see how this will not completely turn around the way the game works.

but I was thinking, maybe this could be a "side game" type thing to get items, which then you can trade to other people for them to use as well, like those who wish not to play the "side game"  anyway, whatever.

oh, luffy, I remembered one last thing, if sir emi keeps on updating and stuff, it may very well start looking like one thing, that isn't bad at all.  just make sure you get the good parts of the game, and replace the bad parts with how another game makes it interesting.  like I said, Pardus, that game (as I am playing it currently to see how it looks) is mostly about buildings and trading and such, while fighting is important, you can tell it is almost an after thought.  just through "turns" at it see what happens.  Space Odyssey has somewhat limited trading, but a much better fighting system.  I for one hope Sir Emi can pull this off, as it may not be very good by itself, but be a GREAT launching point for other upgrades as well (like the alliance base you mentioned)

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 06:48:45 AM »

I know it won't be exactly like pardus, but it's similar, though jumping from end to end of the galaxy is totally original. But like I said, sounds interesting, and if we can get it to be a side part to he game like you said, it'll be great most likely, but if it is required, well, things aren't gonna be easy. And yes, I wonder too how this could not greatly change the game.

Sir Emi, any idea on how long till council?

Borg!
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 07:22:25 PM »

will you be letting council test soon to see how it works or are you the only one testing at the momeny?

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 01:42:21 PM »

well, right now borg, the council has no power, because that update hasn't been implemented yet.

mrtimbr549
Sergeant

There are those who call me....Timmmm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »

We're the United Nations

Do us all a favor, pull your bottom lip over your head -- and swallow
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 06:34:00 PM »

That's a bad analogy mrtimbr, cause the UN trys to stop wars and get everyone to get rid of their arms mostly (yea right, no one is doing that). We're more like, the government of the US, The council is the executive and judicial branch, sir emi is president and legislative branch.

Borg!
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 10:24:21 PM »

we arnt the judicial branch thats you and charle

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 04:06:18 AM »

Not here on the forum, but in the game. Charlemagne and I are here to get rid of all those useless threads and put threads in their proper places. We're more like janitors with really shiny badges 13

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: