Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 18, 2024, 03:08:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Member Registration Temporarily Closed!  (Read 5525 times)
SnipeDragon
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2012, 03:59:52 AM »

Greetings Everyone,

Its been a while since I've posted and even longer since I've done anything constructive for the community.  After seeing the level that the bot problem has climbed too, I have temporarily shut off new member registration and will be going through and deleted every member that has 0 posts which has not logged in since their account creation date for the last year or so.  I won't delete any member with a low ID, now will I delete any member with posts.

Since the KeyCAPTCHA system obviously isn't working, I will try to revert the forums back to the built-in CAPTCHA system, on the 'High Security' setting this time, I will also run my own bots against it to see how they fare.  If you have any questions please reply to this topic and I will get back with you ASAP.

-SnipeDragon

UPDATE: Re-opened until I wake up in the morning to finish the job.  Here are some interesting statistics about the deletions I just performed --

3112 Members Deleted
15/3112 Members had logged in after the day they were registered.
4/15 Members had posts or a unique Avatar (instead of just pulling Emi's Avatar)

Thats a little over 100 pages of the members that we had out of the 517 that we had when I started these deletions.  If I remember properly, the last time I checked the members list before all these bots started joining, we were at just under 100 pages, I estimate that when this is all said and done we will probably be back down to around 125 pages of members (at 30 on a page)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:25:19 AM by SnipeDragon » Report to moderator   Logged
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »

nice.. good work snipe.. those bots were getting out of hand
Report to moderator   Logged

V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »

I've banned more bots since you posted this than before... so yeah - hows that workin out for ya?

VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

just had a single bot post 36 things...

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »

yeah its kinda funny that in his effort to reduce them, he dramatically made them worse. lol
thats an "eff you" from the bots if i've ever seen one!

VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: