Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
March 28, 2024, 04:58:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SpaceO Discussion  (Read 4414 times)
Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »

Every Galaxy is connected in the real world? Correct. Every Galaxy is in the Universe? Correct. Each server on this game is a Galaxy? Correct.

Why not link them together, in some inventive, and well thought out plan? There would be many problems with it, I'm sure.

It was one of the ideas I first thought of as new servers were added. What ideas have you thought of, and written off? Wished were in the game? Wished weren't?
None of these are 'suggestions'. This is just the starting of an overall discussion of the game, how it is, and how you'd like it to be.

I'm interested in how you all think about these sorts of things, but keep any posts clean. (Yeah, I'm one to talk about that XD)

Please, share!
Report to moderator   Logged
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »

wow that is such a bomb idea... never even crossed my mind.

I would like to see a push "back to the basics" per se... I think that as additions have been made, it has made the game so much more complicated and the learning curve is simply too high.

I would like to see the Elite server with salvage down to less than 10% (preferably 0). Then I want the ELITE server to be the FIRST option when registering. Thus if someone registering doesnt change the server then they go straight to the elite server.

Here is the reason I want this to happen. It is not because I want more players on Elite, although I do want that, it is simply because I truly believe that more new players will stick around and play when all they have to learn is how to build a ship, instead of how to set mines/replicate/get cp/build planet/ etc.... THEN once they get comfortable playing on elite and learn the basics there - then we can introduce them to MAIN and they will alrdy know the basics...
doesnt that make much more sense?

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »

Is this so that you can send your SpaceO ships accross to SeaO and blast them all out of the water from space?
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »

yeah i mean how cool would that be?!!?  wow

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »

wow that is such a bomb idea... never even crossed my mind.

I would like to see a push "back to the basics" per se... I think that as additions have been made, it has made the game so much more complicated and the learning curve is simply too high.

I would like to see the Elite server with salvage down to less than 10% (preferably 0). Then I want the ELITE server to be the FIRST option when registering. Thus if someone registering doesnt change the server then they go straight to the elite server.

Here is the reason I want this to happen. It is not because I want more players on Elite, although I do want, it is simply because I truly believe that more new players will stick around and play when all they have to learn is how to build a ship, instead of how to set mines/replicate/get cp/build planet/ etc.... THEN once they get comfortable playing on elite and learn the basics there - then we can introduce them to MAIN and they will alrdy know the basics...
doesnt that make much more sense?

I thought that it might be nice to have a civil talk about the game for once..

On to your post.

The main reason we keep losing players is there is just too much to do and get good at, and then it simply becomes a grind. Many returning players have had a huge adjustment period before being able to come out and legitimately play.

ELITE as the main server that players start off at, I like that idea a lot. If players see the basics to everything right away, maybe that'd be better. That way you aren't being blasted with "Ooooh, encryptions?! Sounds cool--WOAH, A GALAXY? --HOLY CRAP, I CAN GET PLANETS. Wait, how do I do this?", but it becomes more of "Hmm, could you help me design my first few ships? Alright, sick. Should be able to figure it out from here..."

Salvage, I assume you mean on the defender's part? I agree, should be 0. Rewards for a successful attack should be higher on all servers in my opinion too, but..The salvage spoonfeeds people too much. Hundreds of players active at a time, that's how it was long ago, and they didn't have nearly as much help.

~My ideas..well, okay, some basic ones~

Lower the rewards on all servers, as it's just draining the pockets. Raise it when we have more people donating and playing. Offer more benefits in a gold account, so that more people will buy it. Hell, I only use it for the 20% discount, which doesn't much matter after the first few weeks.

Advertise more, as this game is not as highly recognizable as it could be. A higher player base will come from spending more time and money on advertising, thus increasing revenues, ideas, fun, etc.

I understand Emi has his ideas about the game, and I understand he has other games, and others he wishes to make. In my opinion though, for a full success, he needs to spend much more time listening to players, helping them towards ideas both he and they will like, as well as reinforcing and enforcing the rules of the Terms of Service.

Not to bash Emi though, as there are a lot of things I like about this game, there really are. I mean, for instance, the level of depth this game brings to the table simply by the ability to completely design one's own ships, is astounding, and there is no other game I know with that. The math is complex when first starting, but you get the hang of it and any high school kid should be able to do it. The formulas are out there, for sure. That is definitely one of the biggest things worth advertising in my opinion.

EDIT: Lol, yes, Sat. Totally what it is.

My thought process behind that was merely that it would be kind of cool, and would open up, hopefully, a whole new variety of options. That was ages ago, though, and I only used that as an example.
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »

yeah i meant to add advertising to my post too... the current forms of advertising arnt working. if they're cheap - keep them. But i think we need to venture out into new venues... im not positive on how exactly, but im sure some people in here have heard of ways, or we could come up with better advertisement methods brainstorming...
Hell - if Emi would drop me 10 bucks an hour I would make flyers and go put them on every car in walmarts parking lot and elsewhere and post them on the bulletin boards in colleges in the area haha... not going to lie tho - I have thought often about doing this for free simply because i love this game like the fat kid loves cake and i want it to be successful and have many more players.

Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »

I have made Spaceo.net the homepage on every computer at the local library, as well as extended word to several gaming clubs, lol.
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »

oh my god....

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:30:55 PM »

oh my god....

What? 16
SnipeDragon
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:20:58 AM »

rofl, Did you really ToM?

Anyways, as for advertising, I think that if Emi took the money he usually spends on round winners for a few rounds (or maybe even just 2) and used it in some targeted, Pay-per-click advertising on places like Facebook and other gaming sites, that we could see a surge of new players.. that would of course also rely on current players not complaining about a lack of monetary reward for winning in 2 rounds or so.  Ideas?

-Snipe
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »

But does he really spend money on prizes.. Most are just used back into the game so it really costs him nothing

Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 04:48:42 PM »

Yeah, I did. It attracted people right up until the webpage loaded..

So maybe he doesn't spend too much money? He needs to.
NightShadow
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 11:50:38 AM »

That idea is pretty cool.

Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »

But does he really spend money on prizes.. Most are just used back into the game so it really costs him nothing

To expand on this..maybe make prizes exclusively usable only for in game donations?
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: