Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 26, 2024, 06:27:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Short Story competition  (Read 8995 times)
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »

I LOVE short stories.
Therefore, I propose a competition for the best short story.
The winner will receive a ~180 day gold account, or a $5 in-game donation (whichever your prefer).

ALL submissions must be turned in by... August 29th, 2011, and the winner will be determined shortly thereafter.

Rules:
- MUST be less than ... 1000 words
- Can be about ANYTHING
- Can be in any format you wish to use or make up (but must be written in English)
- I am the sole judge, and my decision is final
- It must be an original, by YOU. I have a plagiarism program I will run each story through in order to prove if it is an original, or not.
- By participating in this competition, you are giving me the sole rights to the story you write, therefore forfeiting all intellectual rights, physical rights, etc... that you have. (if you need clarification on this - PM me)
- Submissions are to be posted in this thread

Let's see what kind of creative juices you guys have!
---Wes
Report to moderator   Logged

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:58:27 AM »

Wes is trying to publish our short stories and profiteer from us!

challenge accepted.

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:03:03 AM »

me? 21
never!  7

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »

"A SHORT STORY", by Brent Haglund

Once upon a time there was a young boy named Brent. Brent was 21 years old and lived in Rosemount, Minnesota. While walking home from school one day, a green badger jumped out from behind a Mona Lisa and tackled Brent to the ground. But just when he was about to let out a scream for help, Brent realized that the green badger was only licking his face, not trying to bite it off. At that moment, Brent decided to keep the green badger as a pet. And on the way home he decided to name his pet green badger "Wes."

When Brent and his new pet finally got home, guess who was standing on the front porch? That's right, it was Brent's mother, Tracy. And boy was she surprised to see a green badger following Brent into the yard! "What in world is that?" shouted Tracy. "It's a green badger," answered Brent. "Dah, I can see that, Brent, but what on earth is it doing here?" said Tracy. "It's my new pet!" answered Brent. "Oh you think so do you?" remarked Tracy. "I wouldn't get your hopes up. You know how your father hates green badgers. But, well, I suppose you can keep him until your father comes home." And with that Brent grabbed Wes by the scruff of the neck and led his new pet into the house -- even though he knew his father was probably going to dissaprove.

Once in the house, Brent and Wes played and played, that is until Brent's favorite television show, "Dexter," started. At that point Brent forgot all about Wes having an unsupervised run of the house. That is until half way through "Dexter," when Brent was brought back to reality when he heard his father shout, "@!#&$!!! Brent! Get your rump in the library...NOW!!" With that Brent rushed into the library to see what all the fuss was about.

When he entered the library, there stood his father, Mark, pointing toward the workbench. "Will someone please explain that?" asked his father. Then, as Brent followed his father's finger to where it was pointing, he instantly knew what his father was so upset about. There, smack dab in the middle of the workbench, was the biggest pile of badger doo-doo he had ever seen! "I don't EVEN want to know how that got there," said Mark. "But you had better get it cleaned up now! And you had better get rid of whatever it is that could have done such a thing!"

Well, knowing his father as well as he did, Brent knew there was no sense even asking his father if he could keep Wes for a pet. So without hesitation, Brent set out to find where Wes was hiding.

After a few minutes of looking, Brent discovered Wes crouched beneath the table that Brent did his frolfing on. "Come on, Wes, it's time to find you a new home. And hey, don't look at me that way, I'm not the one who did the dirty deed on the workbench!" scolded Brent. "Thanks to you I'll never get to have my own pet badger!! And with that Brent led Wes out of the house and down to the local Target. Target had a pet section and Brent knew the owner would find Wes a good home. So after saying good-bye to Wes, and thanking the owner of Target, Brent walked backed home and attempted to dround his sorrows by slamming down a half dozen Red Bulls. But Brent's pitty party came to an abrupt end when his father reminded him about the mess he had neglected to clean up. And low and behold, midway through the clean-up, Brent suddenly became thankful that someone else was going to have to do it from now on.

The End.

Disclaimer
This short story was written using a Mormon short story generator here.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:09:59 PM by Borg! » Report to moderator   Logged

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »

Used that generator.

Once upon a time there was a young boy named Cam. Cam was 26 years old and lived in Toronto, *None. While walking home from school one day, a Blue cat jumped out from behind a mask and tackled Cam to the ground. But just when he was about to let out a scream for help, Cam realized that the Blue cat was only licking his face, not trying to bite it off. At that moment, Cam decided to keep the Blue cat as a pet. And on the way home he decided to name his pet Blue cat "Jake."

When Cam and his new pet finally got home, guess who was standing on the front porch? That's right, it was Cam's mother, Sara. And boy was she surprised to see a Blue cat following Cam into the yard! "What in world is that?" shouted Sara. "It's a Blue cat," answered Cam. "Dah, I can see that, Cam, but what on earth is it doing here?" said Sara. "It's my new pet!" answered Cam. "Oh you think so do you?" remarked Sara. "I wouldn't get your hopes up. You know how your father hates Blue cats. But, well, I suppose you can keep him until your father comes home." And with that Cam grabbed Jake by the scruff of the neck and led his new pet into the house -- even though he knew his father was probably going to dissaprove.

Once in the house, Cam and Jake played and played, that is until Cam's favorite television show, "Stargate," started. At that point Cam forgot all about Jake having an unsupervised run of the house. That is until half way through "Stargate," when Cam was brought back to reality when he heard his father shout, "Damnit!! Cam! Get your Sexy in the Bedroom...NOW!!" With that Cam rushed into the Bedroom to see what all the fuss was about.

When he entered the Bedroom, there stood his father, Larry, pointing toward the Desk. "Will someone please explain that?" asked his father. Then, as Cam followed his father's finger to where it was pointing, he instantly knew what his father was so upset about. There, smack dab in the middle of the Desk, was the biggest pile of cat doo-doo he had ever seen! "I don't EVEN want to know how that got there," said Larry. "But you had better get it cleaned up now! And you had better get rid of whatever it is that could have done such a thing!"

Well, knowing his father as well as he did, Cam knew there was no sense even asking his father if he could keep Jake for a pet. So without hesitation, Cam set out to find where Jake was hiding.

After a few minutes of looking, Cam discovered Jake crouched beneath the table that Cam did his Hockey on. "Come on, Jake, it's time to find you a new home. And hey, don't look at me that way, I'm not the one who did the dirty deed on the Desk!" scolded Cam. "Thanks to you I'll never get to have my own pet cat!! And with that Cam led Jake out of the house and down to the local Quickway. Quickway had a pet section and Cam knew the owner would find Jake a good home. So after saying good-bye to Jake, and thanking the owner of Quickway, Cam walked backed home and attempted to dround his sorrows by slamming down a half dozen Beers. But Cam's pitty party came to an abrupt end when his father reminded him about the mess he had neglected to clean up. And low and behold, midway through the clean-up, Cam suddenly became thankful that someone else was going to have to do it from now on.

The End.

Create a new Short Story.

I lol'd
Zan
Corporal

Mongrels!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 03:07:56 PM »

Aint that the same as Borg's?

Gilgamesh`(#90389) - Main
Gilgamesh(#7367) - Wars
Gilgamesh`(#26), Gilgamesh(#115) - Elite
Some things are beautiful for the very reason that they're unobtainable.
Comatose
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »

Yeah but I used a different name. Therefore, points for creativity.
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »

points given. but both disqualified  16

Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:03:42 PM »

Lol...  Borg what is frolfing?

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »

well nobody won since nobody tried... : / guess you guys dont like competitions  21

Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »

We just don't have time to write short stories

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
KenquinnTheInsaneOne
Master Sergeant

View Profile