Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 19, 2024, 06:13:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question on computers and shields  (Read 4392 times)
njkc
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:55:10 AM »

I have read through the forums a bit and haven't found the answer I am looking for. I know it has to be something simple that I am not seeing because it's almost 4 in the morning. My question is, How in the world are they added up? What I mean is... using the online ship builder I was messing around and the shields for one ship came to:

1x27% and 15x23%

so 16 shields and the total absorption came to 49%. How did it come to only 49%? Like I said I know it has to be a simple answer but for whatever the reason it seems to be eluding me at present. Thanks in advance for any help or answer provided
Report to moderator   Logged
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »

If I remember correctly, adding more shields or computers gives a diminishing return. The first adds its entire value to the total bonus, and the rest add progressively smaller and smaller fractions of their values. Don't remember the particular fractions, though. The numbers should be lying around here, somewhere.

Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »

The dimishing return goes down 50% for every ship so you would get these rewards

100%
50%
25%
12.5%
6.25%
3.125%
1.5625%
etc
etc

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
njkc
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 01:22:09 AM »

This makes a lot of sense, now what doesn't make sense to me is why the online designer would have me use those 15x23%, it would seem to me that if every one added past the first loses half then after about 10 or so (though really at 1% it's not adding anything substantial) they are no longer helping any. will have to think about that one. Anywho, thank you to you both for answering my question was beginning to think no one would share with me  2
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »

it's because all those end ones will eventually add up to 1%, because .06+.12+.24+.48 etc etc will get it close to the final percent needed.

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 12:37:56 PM »

Heh, shield and accuracy percentage points start becoming exorbitantly expensive past a certain point, so whole new components can often be cheaper, even with the penalties.

Oh, and no problem.

KenquinnTheInsaneOne
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12:10 PM »

There is a sweet spot where buying a large number of low % shields is better, than buy a big one.

This is due to each extra % costing about twice as much energy, than the last.If you spend the same energy on two shields 1% smaller you get 50% more absorb.

If you go further you can find a sweet spot where you get the most absorb for your energy with a large number of lower % shields and a big one.

PS: The pattern of 1% for each extra % starts to occur properly at 23% shields, before that it is less than twice as much.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: