Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 01, 2024, 02:59:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Swarm Bonus Changed  (Read 13842 times)
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2006, 04:07:58 PM »

*sigh* and I thought people were listening to me AND was able to think for themselves upon what I said.  guess that to was to much to hope for.

regular swarmers start roughly 15-20 space.  tinyman took this to extreme and used it at 3-5 space.  this much we all know now (finally).

all we needed was something to balance out this area so that the tinymans max swarm bonus doesn't skyrocket.  what I was suggesting was put a cap on it, like max swarm bonus ends at 100k ships, or the least amount of space that will be counted for swarm bonus was 15.  this would then mean that swarm bonus (going off the graph I made before) would start to climb dramatically, but then hit the "ceiling" and be the same.  what sir emi did (which did work, don't get me wrong here)was in affect (once again going off of a graph) was "move" the x axis to the right 15 spaces.  so where the max swarm bonus would start to sky-rocket would be in negative space now.  however, doing this also meant other normal ships would also be affected.  either way would have worked.  I was just saying sir emi OVERdid it.  meaning MORE then was necessary.  tinyman would have been out of the window just by making minimum swarm bonus at 15 space. 

in other words:  I am saying by not putting in +15 on the space place in swarm bonus, it would have also worked to simply put in if x (being space) <15, then x=15.  it would be along the same exact lines as designing, when x (being cost) <1, then x=1000. 

I am also saying that the attack and defense affected by swarm bonus may have worked by itself to.  but I unless I was gone for this, or sir e did some private experiments of his own, this was not tested WITH the swarm bonus change.  sir e, if you did experiment with it, which I am sure you did, I am sorry for accusing you of not trying both out at the same time, it just didn't seem like it at all. 

seriously though, what happened here was almost like dropping an a-bomb on an enemy base when you had friendlies next to them, when you had surgical strikes that could have done the job to.  so you decide to use the surgical strikes AND a-bomb same time.  sure the a-bomb would be more thorough, but you would also kill off everything around it to.  the surgical strikes would work to.  but now you simply have a crater in the ground 10x bigger then what the problem was.
Report to moderator   Logged

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
mrtimbr549
Sergeant

There are those who call me....Timmmm

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 10:38:18 PM »

As an original uber-ship enthusiast, I have to say the swarm bonus change is a bit of a relief. 
Ive always liked the idea of saving and working to increase fleet power.   Even though I understand that a fleet of fighters can wipe out a naval fleet, including carriers, there are usually fighters assigned to the fleet to defend it.
It was suggested long ago to create a carrier/launch bay capability for lage ships.  Imagine how the tactics would need to change if a large ship could launch its own defense fleet.  The fleet size would correspond to space much as marines do now.
Imagine how a defense fleet would slow down Doom type raids?
I know this is sort of a suggestion, but I posted it here to correspond and to complement  Luffys posts.  Admin feel free to relocate if warrented.

Do us all a favor, pull your bottom lip over your head -- and swallow
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 01:44:45 PM »

Thank you mrtimbr, and ars, that was SO directed at me, and you should know if it involves a lot of complicated ship designing stuff, or even a fair amount, I'm lost. I'm not afraid to admit that I royally suck at designing. But I see what you are saying, but i'd rather have the enemy and some friendlies dead, then mess up and leave the most dangerous enemy alive.

SlayerX
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 02:56:06 PM »

a the carrier i know that idea from long ago emi was giong to look into it back then maby hes still working on it

hehehe how about a new segment section then defence platforms build a couple of these babies and wach the fire works..

would need to rework the attack sytem tho maby when you attack the defence platforms get 2 rounds to shoot at you for you need to close into wep range.

might bring back the need for defence some more on the big ships instead of 50mil hull with only a little defence
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2006, 12:48:21 AM »

I wonder what the next update is gonna be, and when we're gonna get it, or what the target area is. Anyone have any clue?

soas
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2006, 06:21:36 PM »

I guess the next step is to make new swarmers. I have allready got my swarmers down. They are not buggy like a tinyman (yes i consider them bugged), but still full of fire power. Check them out. the name is Panther. look for the pink lettering, yes.... panther. send a message to me and tell me what you think.   BY the way, they are exactly 5 million. pricey but fun.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: