Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 27, 2024, 02:41:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Finnish army service diary. 10.01.2011->  (Read 9958 times)
baltic
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »

i'm only at day 23? looks like i've fallen behind a bit...updating this is gonna take a while, sigh.
i'll try to get it done tomorrow.
Report to moderator   Logged

off to serve my country in the deep forests of the freezing hell.
baltic
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »

Day 24 - home, vacation

Day 25 - home, vacation. back to the army at 16:00.

Day 26 - first we had 4 hours of "combat training". aka running around in the forest in full combat equipment and practice formations, hand signals, advancing and all that stuff. after that we had our cooper test. (run as far as you can in 12 minutes)
2200 meters minimum requirement and over 3000 for top grade. i had my terrible cold and was quite exhausted after the combat training but still managed 2460 meters which is pretty good considering i haven't been exercising for years...plus i had a lot more to give. i started out at a pretty slow and even pace and kept it all the way, i felt like i was tired but in the last lap i realized that was just my body tricking me when i tried to increase the pace. 16 ran the last 200 meters in less than 30 seconds, which is more or less sprinting, after running over 2000 meters already.

Day 27 - the day after cooper...my knee was fked up, i could barely walk and it really really hurt, still i didn't say i was sick in the morning because i thought i might have slept in some weird position or the knee would get better if i moved a bit. well...it didn't and when i came back from breakfast i was planning to tell them i was sick but it was too late. -.-
the schedule this day was closed ranks, theory test on what we've learned, and then RUNNING to the swimming....thing. i have no idea what the english name is, a building where you can swim indoors. 16
well anyway the running made my bad knee feel like it was gonna break, fun fun. then the swimming test. minimum requirment 200 meters without stopping, for fulfilling the green beret requirement for swimming you have to do it in 5min 30sec which isn't too difficult, unless you have a broken knee. i did swim the 200 meters but in 6min 36sec so will have to do that again later in case i want to try to get the beret.

Day 28 - shooting day. didn't say i was sick today either because the knee felt fine in the morning...until i had used it for a bit, when it was of course too late sigh...
transported with trucks to the shooting range, shot at the targets for a bit, then more practice using KES (light anti-tank), some practice in using "bandminor", the english name is unknown to me but they're mines containing 9,5 kg of tnt and some other stuff intended to blast the tracks off of a tank or completely destroy a wheeled vehicle. then some more first aid medical training stuff and march home in full combat equipment. (MY KNEEEEEEEEEEE)

Day 29 - the knee felt fine in the morning but i wasn't gonna make the same mistake a third time so i was sick this time and got to the doctor who spoke in medical language so i didn't understand much but the important details were nerves, knee and stuff like that. got some painkillers but nothing they can do about it, it may return when i put heavy strain on the knee again. freed from heavy outdoor activity for 1 day. got to sit dejour at the desk and read some instead...

Day 30 - i felt terrible, i was freezing, had a headache and a soar throat but didn't want to say i was sick on a friday since that would probably mean i didn't get to go home...instead i suffered through today's closed ranks, lessons and preparations for going home while sleeping whenever we had some free time. got on the bus and suffered all the way home for 7,5 hours. 16
once i got home i had a fever...38,6 degrees. (101,5F)

Day 31 - home, vacation...39 degree fever (102F)

Day 32 - still 39 degree fever, threw in some painkillers and got on the bus 7,5 hours back. that was really a lot of fun... (NOTE: sarcasm)
my ears, head and throat hurt as well.

Day 33 - the day the "basic camp" was supposed to start, 4 days in the forest, nothing for me in my current shape. especially since the week was gonna be COOOOOLD (-20 to -30 degrees celsius). said i was sick in the morning and got to the hospital. 37,1 degree fever (not much, too bored to check the F value though). the throat looked ok, ears fine, coughing. the nurse looked a bit like "what the hell are you doing here with just this?" until they took a blood sample and noticed my infection value or whatever it is in english was beep'd up.
didn't get to leave the hospital, instead i was assigned a room and a bed to rest and get stuffed with meds sigh...
later the same day my dever rose to 39 again, i got an eye infection in my left eye (virus) and fun stuff like that.

Day 34 - 39 degree fever, infection value dropping.

Day 35 - 39 degree fever, painkillers no longer have any effect, got antibiotics. (150 mg, once a day)

Day 36 - 39 degree fever, infection value getting worse, painkillers still have no effect.

Day 37 - 39 degree fever, infection value constant. eye infection is almost gone...BUT now i have sinusitis (that's a weird word, luckily there are translators on the interwebzz) as well as tonsillitis (another equally weird word) caused by an adenovirus...

apparently they want me out of the hospital soon so my 150 mg/once per day antibiotics have been switched up to 300 mg/ 3 times per day. today was the oath of allegiance but i was stuck in the hospital and only had a short ceremony with the other patients.
the real version includes a parade, speeches and all kinds of stuff we had been practicing. the oath of allegiance pretty much means you become a soldier of the army and swear to protect it in every way. well that's the short version, either way all recruits were promoted to jaegers. (private)
at the same time it's the "open gates" day when friends and family can come visit and see the area, rooms, oath and all that stuff. then you can go home with your family for a 3 day vacation.
...well unless you're sick and in the hospital that is. my grandparents, mom, her bf and my 2 siblings in that part of the family (9 and 6 yrs) were planning to come visit but no use to travel 15 hours if i'm stuck in the hospital. also missed my chance to meet dad's family on monday before they go on a 2 week vacation to kap verde, haven't seen them for almost 2 months now.

Day 38 - the fever is gone but still infections and crap.

Day 39 - almost feeling fine. i still have my cold, coughing and stuff of course but no fever and my throat is finally fine. the eye infection is gone too and the infection value is getting low.

Day 40 - finally out of the hospital, it's monday and everyone else is at home so i'm doing...nothing.

Day 41
- "free from outdoor service", that's a good doctor there, i've been in pretty bad shape so to speak for over a week and that's all i get the full first day i'm out. 7 days in a row with high fever plus all the other stuff. i felt ok but obviously my body wasn't after all that. weapon cleaning service and then we stood there still holding the weapons waiting for the higher ups to come check. after 20 min i got to find out how weak i was after fighting my illness for so long when my vision went black. 16
apparently i fainted and fell straight forward at a chair with weapon parts on it and then onto the stone floor, great. i got seriously lucky i wasn't badly injured but got some nice bruises, nose bleed and other smaller bleeding wounds though.
off to the hospital again and got "bed rest" for 2 days followed by 1 day "free from outdoor service" and 1 day "free from heavy outdoor service". which means i won't be doing poop for the rest of the week...

Day 42 - bed rest...not allowed to do anything. we found out where we're going to serve and for how long after the basic period. i'm going to the amphibious school, engineer "line".
which means i'm going to serve for 362 days and become a corporal, or since i'm a finnish marine "petty officer 3rd class" within the combat engineers, never heard that before but if wiki says so...
so in 2 weeks i'm going to be NCO student/ petty officer student. about a month later the ones who will be sent to reserve officer school are chosen from the best of us, let's see.
if i'm chosen i'll become an officer student and a sub-lieutenant (2nd lieutenant) after my 12 months.

Day 43 - not allowed to do anything outside so...cleaning, reading, cleaning...

Day 44 - cleaning and stuff, indoor service. then....HOME!!! at 16:00

Day 45 - home, vacation

NOTE: it's actully day 48 so i think i missed a vacation or something somewhere...either way i'll keep going from 49 instead of 46.

these last 2 weeks have been...terrible. doing absolutely nothing for 2 weeks doesn't seem to be anything for me. didn't have my computer with me and my books ran out after a week. UGH...

baltic
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »

phew...the last few weeks have been too intense so i haven't been able to make any notes at all. because of that i'll just pick some things that have happened and i remember instead...

last time i posted i was still in the engineer company with one week left til moving or so. the last time there was very "gona" as we'd say, easy. not much discipline stuff or heavy activity so we took it quite easily. then came the day that i was moving to my new unit though.

since i was now to become a NCO student i was moving from the engineer company to the amphibious school where underofficers for all the different companies are trained, we have separate programs between the "lines" but still live together. anyway since we were moving we obviously had to take all our stuff with us...at once...and that's quite a lot with a full locker. weapons, combat equipment (combat belt, clips, helmet, rain clothes, gas mask, field can thing...for food, water bottle, field spade etc.), field backpack, vacation bag, 3 pairs of boots, 1 pair of sports shoes, 5 uniforms, 2 of them thick winter ones, snow suit, pretty much half your bed and all the other clothes in the locker.
this is known as the "hajoo march", directly translated something like "the breaking march". of course we can't just carry it all straight to our new unit, we have to go around and then stand there for about 10 min listening to the school's commander talking. all other units were allowed to put their stuff down but not us engineers. 16

anyway we moved in with new people and the program begun with lots and lots of theory...we didn't get to go home for the weekend since we had leadership lessons zzz...

------------------------------

the next week was almost only theory as well, lessons, lessons and lessons about everything and nothing. everything from the rules at the unit to our program and lessons about the laws about how to use explosives.

------------------------------

week 2 at the school and the practical things started. tuesday-wednesday explosives camp!!! first we got to test and learn how to use, connect etc a fuse, both normal ones, and detonating fuse...and of course how to use the cables and connect them for the electrical systems. we learned and tested how to connect friction ignition, and "exploding capsules" - the things that actually ignite the real explosives etc. all the basics with other words. then we each cut a 1 meter piece of fuse, connected friction ignition, exploding capsule and a 200g block of TNT that we got to use 1 by 1.

we then moved on to actual objectives like blasting the roots of a tree, breaking a tree in half, breaking concrete pillars, steel plates etc. calculating the charges, connecting them and all that. we worked in groups with 1 working as the group leader at a time and leading the work until we were done and blasted whatever the target was to hell. 13

we kept doing that til the evening when we were supposed to setup tents...first we had to take all equipment off the trucks and set it up in perfect order, then each group had to take all the tent equipment as well as the full combat equipment you already had on, run 200 meters into the forest (1 meter deep loose snow) and setup the tent. first you have to get all the snow off of the site, 6 meters in diameter and 1 meter deep...we were 4 in my group and the time limit was 30 min. 1

with other words after 30 min we were almost done with removing all the snow...almost. time limit failed, get ALL the tent equipment...and still full combat equipment back down to the road (through the same snow, now even more loosely packed after we already ran through it once) and set it up in the same order again.

next...25 minutes to have the tent in perfect shape, pick up all equipment and run back again. this time we had the structure of the tent setup after 25 min but were still lacking everything we needed like...heater, sticks setup in the roof for the heater, lights and clothes, the lights, wood for the heater, water...

so..pick the tent down, all the equipment on the back and run back down to the road and put it back in order. next 20 minutes, run back...

you get the point, we kept doing it for 3 hours and we still didn't have our tents up but we were out of time and switched over to some combat training...later on that night we got to set the tents up without time limit so we were done somewhere around midnight...

next day more blasting stuff, the last round i was the group leader in charge of blowing up the roots of a tree and dropping a tree, breaking it at about 70 cm height and making it fall in a certain direction. for the roots we used 1,6 kg of TNT and for the tree 900g of PENO (finnish military plastic explosive, like c4 but much much much cheaper). the roots got blown off successfully but the charge on the tree was apparently a bit too much. 16 the tree was blown off at the right place but instead of dropping forward it flew up, made some aerial tricks and went backwards and down in the snow with one end first. pieces of tree flew some 30-40 meters too. all in all awesome. 13

after that we went back home only to go for "vakutbildning", which meant swimming in a hole in the ice in 2 degree celsius water and in full equipment, get out of there and run to shore where you'd change clothes. all in all...not much fun at all. all of us engineers made it out well but i heard there had been quite a lot of others who just panicked from the shock when they jumped in the water, can't blame them. 16

baltic
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »

as you may have noticed i haven't had time to update my diary lately again and it doesn't seem like i will. school is just too tough and time consuming, i don't have either the time nor the energy to keep doing this and i can't remember everything we do til i get home so i might as well give up on the diary here, it's quite sad since i thought it was fun and there seems to be at least some interest in reading it but that's how it is. i'll log on spaceo then and then to talk though even though i don't have the time to play and i'm on msn ofc for those who have it or want it. 16

for now though it's goodbye and thanks for reading my diary til now ;)

/NCO student Holm

baltic
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »

short update.

meet the engineer line's finished corporals. ;)
now starts the real challenge, early July the new recruits arrive and from then on we're responsible for leading and training them for the next 180 days. wish us luck! 16

FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »

Kids training kids lol  laugh

Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 11:02:45 PM »

FTPs comment made me laugh.

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
baltic
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 11:29:22 AM »

more or less ftp, we only handle the basics and repetition though and this is part of what we've been training for. but the day our country is at war we will lead that exact group we're in charge of from now on in that place at that time. 16
(which means i'd preferably do an ok job)

jonathan wtf does "order nuf" mean? if you're trying to type old enough most of us turn or have turned 20 this year, none are younger than 19.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:31:06 AM by baltic » Report to moderator   Logged

Felix
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:14 AM »

Hi,

I found this diary through google because maybe I'm going to the finnish army as well soon. I hope you still visit this site sometime.
I have dual citizenship in Germany and Finland and want to go to Finland to work. I am already 27 years old but in order to work there I would first go to the army, because I didn't have to go in Germany. I would be happy if you could answer me some questions:
- I would like to just do the minimum 180 days service. If you explicitly state you want to do 180 days is it still probable that you have to do 270/356 days?
- Would it make sense to start the service in July? I think then I wouldn't at least have to dig through 1m of snow ;)

Best regards,
Felix
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 02:50:08 AM »

Baltic logs in every once in awhile, so it may be a few days or weeks until he logs in again. But keep checking back or have replies sent to your email and I'm sure he'll get back to you eventually...

VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
baltic
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2011, 08:41:27 AM »

Hi,

I found this diary through google because maybe I'm going to the finnish army as well soon. I hope you still visit this site sometime.
I have dual citizenship in Germany and Finland and want to go to Finland to work. I am already 27 years old but in order to work there I would first go to the army, because I didn't have to go in Germany. I would be happy if you could answer me some questions:
- I would like to just do the minimum 180 days service. If you explicitly state you want to do 180 days is it still probable that you have to do 270/356 days?
- Would it make sense to start the service in July? I think then I wouldn't at least have to dig through 1m of snow ;)

Best regards,
Felix

hey there! 16 i haven't checked by in a while so not sure if you'll see my reply >.> but...

1. unless you have very very good reasons you can't really "argue" out of 270/362. they pick who they want so if they want you, you're stuck with it. about 50% serve 270 or 362.

2. yes, new recruits arrive in january and july so you could pick one, summer has it's negative sides too though. ;)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: