Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 29, 2024, 11:15:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you agree?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A little change in the rules  (Read 8642 times)
KenquinnTheInsaneOne
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »

The point is to allow people who assumed they would be allowed to keep all the accounts they made to keep them. Instead of retroactively forcing them to pick one forever and removing the rest.
Report to moderator   Logged
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 03:56:49 AM »

I see your point Ken... And it is a decent one, as I have 2 accounts and it would be annoying having to pick one and have the other deleted for various reasons.
And so long as only one account could be used - I'd be fine with it...
I really don't understand why people think family members would cause such a problem as literally EVERY other game I have EVER played has only allowed one account per IP.
However, in the event that a family member plays as well, the best system I've ever seen is the one the game Travian uses.
They allow family members but you have to go into account>settings and input "shared computer usage with _________"... The Travian admins then only have to worry about complaints. The system is set up so that it throw up a red flag if there is any type of attacks or resources sent between the two accounts which are linked. If two accounts share IP's and are not linked - they both get frozen so that they can still log in but cannot perform any game functionality.
Once this is in place multiple IP's are no longer a problem.
While I am not aware of how much coding it would take - I think that it would be well worth it in the long-run. 50%, if not more, of the complaints for this game would disappear.
I actually tried getting the coding from a friend who created another game, but was unfortunitely denied as the game is written in a different language and the person did not wish to give the code away for free.

VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 04:32:18 AM »

I dont know how hard it would be to write, but as a friend mentioned you could just require 1 email per account (which I thnk is alrdy in place) then track IP's upon login. If IP's matched, result is a FREEZE on all accounts of that IP until THAT PERSON messages Emi/admin explaining the situation. Emi/Admin then decides on a case by case basis if a ban is necessary or not. If the person fails to msg emi/admin then the accounts/IP/email addy stay banned.
Honestly I wouldnt even mind if people could get around it using proxies because the majority of people would not take the time to use a proxy to log in every time. And those that did would probably slip up eventually anyway, resulting in a ban.

Perhaps Emi would explain to the players here, why or why not he is choosing to neglect this wish from his players...
Emi?!

---Wes

VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 04:47:30 AM »

I'm guessing it requires too much player to admin contact.

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
Jonathan16
Corporal

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »

there like 130k accounts how meny are them alts you rekon i rekon, a good 100k amybe more.

my point is the game would drop in so rank ( hits on the site ) when you look in like google Sponsored links for a space game.

maybe that another reason why emi will not ban alts
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:50:10 AM by Jonathan16 » Report to moderator   Logged

DJJBOMB (#11554)
Fester
Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 07:27:32 AM »

I don't think this discussion is looking at clearing out loads of accounts, just making it so individuals cannot control multiple accounts and as such be tempted to abuse them.

I would be very surprised if there were 100k alt accounts, that would be too much for the too few active players to control, I have an alt so that means somebody else must be looking after the 2000 alts which are apparently mine.

I don't see any reason why the number of accounts on the server should be pruned. Leave them there, leave their designs there, just make it so that 1 person plays 1 account, or, make it so we as players can easily identify which accounts are being played from the same IP address.
Jan`go Vhett
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 03:35:18 PM »

I think so far Wes has the best solution, assuming Emi cares enough what us players think/ can write the code to implement it.

Need an s-ship? If you have Gold just search Jangos, then select the price you want. If you don't have Gold just pm me for a design.
Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »

I agree with wes and jan.  The only problem i can think of for that system is the people who have easy accesibility to multiple computers and IP addresses, therefore allowing them to play one account per IP address.

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
Jonathan16
Corporal

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 10:43:40 AM »

if emi was going to do this he would of.

what it been 4 years?

DJJBOMB (#11554)
KenquinnTheInsaneOne
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 06:36:08 PM »

I agree with wes and jan.  The only problem i can think of for that system is the people who have easy accesibility to multiple computers and IP addresses, therefore allowing them to play one account per IP address.
If you have multiple computers connected to a LAN they each don't have a separate IP address to the outside world. Each computer has a local IP address that it used for routing data to the correct computer however the outside world does not see those local IP Addresses. Windows may show each IP address for the computers to be different however that is your local IP Address not that of your router which is what the outside world sees.

Also you already need a unique EMail to create a SpaceO account.
Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 10:08:50 PM »

lets be honest...  the email thing does nothing...  I have actually checked this, and the email address you enter doesnt even need to be real lol...  and even if we made it so it did have to be real, how easy is it to just go to yahoo and make a new email account just for that reason.

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
Jonathan16
Corporal

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 10:51:19 PM »

yep i tryed this and i put in a ramdon email and it works

DJJBOMB (#11554)
Darth Bobo
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »

well we don't want to all the players that have alts but the idea of only having one account per server is a great idea. Now a way to let's say a family of 6 all play spaceo and be happy and/or to have alts  hmm let me think.....21 I believe a great idea would be to just make more servers.   wow Say every month or 3 or 6 make a new wars/pve also have another main server and maybe split the prizes this will squash all the gripes about I have to have an alt cause im bored/out of turns  15 well I hope y'all like this idea and my wonderful use of smilies  laugh
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 05:08:38 PM by Darth Bobo » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: