Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 29, 2024, 11:37:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SO Main - Planet attack requirements  (Read 10985 times)
TNTTony
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 06:27:04 AM »

If you ask me replies to this don't really agree with what was said here:
http://forum.spaceo.net/index.php/topic,5329.0.html

Well I personally never agreed to any changes to planet attacks.

You never opposed it either  16

True  16
But I didn't think emi would listen  21
Report to moderator   Logged
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »

I do agree that this should have been implemented at the start of a new round, changing the goal posts mid way through a round does cause more aggrevation. 
It's difficult for me to give an unbiased opnion about planet attacks this round as I've been prevented from building one myself as I know a certain player would have just confiscated it from me!
 I'm normally opposed to buddy nebbing , but this round has been very heavily balanced in favour of big donations, making it impossible for anyone other than friends of this person to survive. Previous rounds I've left my mains out un-nebbed for people like Cammy and Nighty to be able to attack and still managed to live and reach the top 10.
The main point in which I agree with Joe is that small players need protecting. Possibly reduce the turn cost a little to attack and raid a planet, but make planets immune from being conquered until it reaches a certain level of colonists. (this can be explaned by saying that small populations go unoticed by passing ships, therefore dont register to attack)
I also agree with Tony that big planets are now safe, which means instead of fighting amongst themselves, they will turn more towards smaller planets as they can take them in 1 attack. 
The game needs PVP even most PVE'rs must realise. Without it, peacefull players wont learn how to defend and counter, or build planetary defences.

Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 09:51:36 PM »

well i'll attack ya to get mains if ya want sat?.......... emi you need to quit making main server like a pvp server... take away alt nebbing by putting restrictions on full assualt attacks... and make alliance members not able to hit each other... that means less nebs.. and less nebs means more pvp

Renshaak
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 12:11:36 AM »

I posted this suggestion in another thread.  It's not perfect, but it does protect the smaller players from the schoolyard bullies while not taking away the PvP from those on a more level playing field.  Base the turn cost of attacking planets on power difference (and for that matter maybe space stations, too).  A very rough example would be that attacks cost 5, 10 and 20 turns base (according to type of attack) multiplied by the attacker's power divided by the defender's power.

Cost = Base * MAX( Att Power / Def Power, 1 )

This way, players who are roughly in each other's realm aren't having to spend three days' turns for some PvP but they ARE having to spend a real cost just because they want to take their frustrations out on someone smaller. 

There are still holes like which power measure do you use and is there some "plot device" that might make it feel more like part of the game than an artificial rule (much like warping small fleets explains why a giant fleet can't just crush anyone).

Emi, you posted a lot of cool ideas, but they still have the same flaws as the uselessness of missiles on stations.  They give you more options, but in the end if someone is thousands (even millions or billions) of times more powerful than you, you simply don't have the resources to prevent them from destroying your asset at any moment at a cost that is nothing but a rounding error to them.  Following the station missiles example, even as a 15ish-ranked player, if I sunk all my future turn items researching better missiles and 1/4 of all credits earned into then buying these better missiles, "The Artist Formerly Known as Fender~Spender" could take the station out using a day's interest on his credits.
Spayed
First Sergeant

hey hey hey :D

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 12:51:10 AM »

ok i agree lower peoples planets should be protected, BUT!!  increasing the amount of turns required to attack protects the people higher then you aswell, sorta ruins the point in attacking them at all

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Renshaak
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 01:16:42 AM »

What I'm proposing prevents that, Spayed.  Or are you talking about other posts?
Spayed
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 05:15:30 AM »

ren tbh i didnt even read your post because it looked like alot of hard work and i was on my lunch hour.

i dont think the amount of turns should be changes, just the smaller planets defences, or give smaller planets higher cloaking defences

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 04:14:55 PM »

I'm wondering if there was a way of attacking through a neb.... maybe similar to using pinpointer probes. A nebbed commander could be attacked through a neb if its a full assault and the attacking commander has to try and discover them 1st using probes. The probe cost will be 20 turns per attempt and the chance of discovering the nebbed player will be about 10-20% This will give a new option for pvpr's and will make the pve'rs have to be more attack ready.
Spayed
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 01:28:03 AM »

nah attacking thru nebs are dumb, just remove buddy nebs, make it illegal for alliance members to attack you, and for alliance members ip adresses...

and the diminishing neb go down to 0 and with more drastic measures..

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

One way to stop or hinder Alliance nebbing is to automatically have all members in an alliance truced with each other. And to stop people dropping out of alliance and nebbing an alliance member, make a restriction of 24 hours before they can join an alliance after leaving one.
Spayed
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 06:00:01 AM »

yea i agree with you there sat, i think its been suggested before, but its still relevant, would be a good thing to implement

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Pages: 1 [2]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: