Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
March 28, 2024, 12:03:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Missions and AI  (Read 10409 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »

The thing is everybody in top ranks tends to build up more fleet power that they can control on a mission, and they expect to win the same difficulty % missions. The first thing you should always do if you want to make successfull missions is study you total power in the game.

When you are a new-medium power commander you will notice your fleets power on average are 5%-30% of your total power. Mission are working great at this point, you can finance your mission campain just june, you have much resources to allocate.

However, as you grow and have more credits, there is a tendency to spend more on fleets that generate a little more power than they should.
This makes the total fleet power become like 75%-90% of your total power, leaving you with 25%-10% liquid assets to finance your mission campain.

As you can see:
10% fleets vs. 90% liquid backup assets => no problems with missions
90% fleets vs. 10% liquid backup assets => _PROBlems_ with missions

As we know, mission diffculty depends on fleet power
Example:

First case: Let's say you do a 1% mission with your fleet. You have 9 x times the fleet power in assets, so the risk if you lose is 1 / 9 => 11%
This means you can lose all your fleets 9 times, and the risk is minimal.

Second case: Same 1% mission, but in this case it's reversed, you have 9 x time more fleets than assets, the risk is 9 / 1 => 90%
In this case you are trying to make a very risky profit by doing missions, but you do not have a decent asset ground to support your action...
If the fleets you have are not made to withstant this kind of power generation in missions, you are bound for trouble.

You have to keep in mind, as you go to more and more power, you encounter different ship designs. If a fleet you were using had good results on a power level, it may be it won't work as good on higher ones. It's all trial and error, and small steps are the key. If you jump in power too muck too quickly, you are on a new un-explored ground, and the fleets you were using could not perform as good against the new designs that will come at that power level...

In missions, fleet power ballance is everything, if you can't ballance the power of your fleets to a low power generating and effective attack, trouble will always follow. Check the designs database and clone a low power generating fleet, a big attack will always generate more power than it should...

I think 50% fleet power of all your total power is the top you should have, but that is everyone's decision to make...

I hope this brought some light on how missions work, and hope you understand that it is not the mission system, but the linear developement of your fleets that could be the problem... the mission system is not a common bot that will always respond in the same manner, and the human factor, the new designs that are feed into it every second will make it a redutable oponent to anyone...

God Speed commanders!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 11:06:09 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 12:10:46 PM »

How come as my 5 mission fleets get a higher and higher % of my fleet power aswell as my total power. I tend to lose the more while I lower the % of missions I do.

Lets say I first had 5 ships of 200 mill power each. + 500 mill power on other fleets + 300 mill power on other (segs/money/workers). Gives me 1,8 bill power. I do 8-14% missions havent lsot one single ship.

Then I get 5 ships of 400 mill power + still same 500 mill other fleets + 350 mill power in other stuff:
Gives me 2,8 bill power. And now I cannot even do a 10% anymore becus I have a to high change of getting destroyed. While my ships got twice as strong my total power (and fleet power did not) and there for I should not get it harder on missions then before right?

(the stats used for power are nto my exact stats)
Report to moderator   Logged

Soppe
Sergeant

Cheesy poops YEAH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:07:32 PM »

ah yes i see why i got whooped good then. but this leaves out some strategy and tactics, as some likes to get their power from segs , while others from their ships (at least in the lower ranks). but now that missions are like they are, one cant get as much power from fleets as that would make one unable to do good missions. like it is now, ppl will have more equal fleet power when having the same rank after theyve seen this topic too and changed theyr tac to be able to do missions again. leaves out some fun though but i guess making missions perfect would be impossible as theres always something to think about =(
at least me n the others got an explanasion of why things are like they are. cant complain either ;)

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »

so let me get this straight a 1% missions is more powerful than a galaxy encounter that is 200% my fleets power.  that is what you are saying, that I need less power fleets to do missions?  and if you look at my fleets they are balanced.

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:21:57 PM »

well, the encounters are a set power range, so you might be fighting a slightly weaker encounter then you think, but yea, that's the gist of what he is saying.

Ricu
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:16:12 AM »

so let me get this straight a 1% missions is more powerful than a galaxy encounter that is 200% my fleets power.  that is what you are saying, that I need less power fleets to do missions?  and if you look at my fleets they are balanced.

Missions depend on liquid asset or stash .. and encounters depends on your fleets power and cost.

Soppe
Sergeant

Cheesy poops YEAH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 10:37:17 AM »

so ur saying that the more stash u got compared to fleet power, the easier a mission gets? im kinda slow when it comes to these things. gotta have it the easy way 16

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill
Ricu
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:38:28 AM »

yup , thats right , thats what emi is trying to say.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 01:02:33 AM »

yep, that's about right....though not sure how that works exactly.

Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 08:53:28 AM »

he is saying yoiu are going to loose ships so you better have the cash to replace your fleet 10 times to do a 1% mission and for every 1% the mission is you need to have the cash on hand to replace it 20 times for a 2% mission and 30 times for a 3% mission if you what to be able to do missions that are worth .1% of your value.

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 09:26:50 AM »

E if this is the case you had better start counting inventory as part of total power I just checked and I placed 2 bid on the market and lost 100,000,000 in power.  so with that my power should be at least 2300 billion more than it is   thus making my ships not even 1 % my total power. yet my ships are 75% my total power.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:29:07 AM by Gunfighter Frank » Report to moderator   Logged

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »

yea, something is seriously messed up there.

shaneblack
Lance Corporal

IGN:ShaneBlackman/Read the Galactic History.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2006, 01:56:49 AM »

What is a liquid asset, excuse me if i'm being n00bish but, eh?

If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, why practice?
Someone look at my story its the galactic history pleeez everyones loosing interest....
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 06:59:07 PM »

a liquid asset is money or workers.

shaneblack
Lance Corporal

IGN:ShaneBlackman/Read the Galactic History.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 02:18:49 AM »

ohhhh, then shouldn,t it be 90% liquid and 10% something else or is that an evolutionary phase where humans are no longer 90% water????

lol j/k

If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, why practice?
Someone look at my story its the galactic history pleeez everyones loosing interest....
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: