Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 18, 2024, 09:06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: One stop Speceo Guide  (Read 6534 times)
Master ObiWan1
Private

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »

After seeing the aggrrevation of many new players  in the chat for the lack of guides available in the forum for Space Odessey, i decided to put this guide in the forum...

This guide is not made by me, but by Nighty and few of his friends.
So Thank to Nightshadow and not me.. I am only posting this guide as i dont have time to make one myself.

I know he will try to kill me next time for sharing his guide, but we end up doing that everyround so that wouldn't be any new.

1. Getting Started

VOTE: Voting helps both you and the game, as a new player voting will give you credits faster than anything else at this time (11/10/2007) 1 week of voting every night will get you 2,100,000,000 credits 1 month will get you 8,400,000,000 and 1 year will get you 100,800,000,000 on top of that you get 1,260 turns for a week, 5,040 turns for a month and 60,480 turns for a year and as a bonus you will get free commander points randomly thats how voting helps you.
Now the way voting helps the game is it raises the game in the rankings on the pages so that more people know about it and the hits to the websites bring in a little bit of money for the creator of the game so that he can afford to update/improve the game and also pay for the bandwidth to keep the game going.

2. Your Commander

First click on the Your Commander Button

Ok the first question most people end up asking is how do I level my commander, the answer is several ways

A. On the WAR server you get commander experience each day automatically, in the lower left corner you will see your level, experience, next level, and percentage towards next level beside that to the right you will see a line that says Increase experience by and has a box you can type into, if your experience is 100% enter a 1 in the box and click the Train Commander Button and you will level up do this until you no longer have 100%.

B. Another way to level your commander is to do Ancient Commander Events which give commander xp when you win them.

Now what do I do with my Command Points ?

I advise that unless you want a small help at the start you save your cp for research, if you want the small jump use it to get 1% on the skills you like but don't waste it going above 1% you will be able to raise your skills with motheship modules later and will be glad you saved your cp for research.

Research is how you get various skills for stations, mines, improvements,warp abilities, and number of fleets you can assign to systems. Each research costs you turns, cp, and credits but unlike commander skills you don't have to put it all in at one time, if what you want to research something that cost 100 cp, 500 turns, 1,000,000 credits you can put in 50 on each and then when you look at it again it will need 50 cp, 450 turns and 999,950 credits so it enables you to research at your own speed. I will get into each research in later sections as they apply.

3. Building Your Base Power

To start building up your base power you will be doing missions.
First you will be building a few fleets to do the missions then you will travel from system to system to find them this will gain you 50 segments for each successful mission, you will be able to build 3 types of segments they are workshops, bio farms, and warehouses.

Build Facility
Workshops determine how many of each kind of segment you can build in 1 turn, I recommend 150 workshops to start with, that will build 50 bio farms or warehouses per turn.

Bio farms are where you make your money each one produces credits for each turn you use except for research, almost all of your segments will be bio farms.

Warehouses hold stuff you get from missions most of it will be shopfood the items that you can use will be in a seperate window called Items Interface but they are stored in your warehouses, I recommend 50 warehouses maximum as the market is not a place to make money on the WAR server.

The other thing you will do to build your powerbase is save credits in your secret asteroid base because it earns interest there, the way to make it effective is to keep doing missions without trying to gain lots of ship power fast, you will make fleets for the missions that will last for about 10 or more levels of missions, in between replaceing these fleets you will be saving all your credits you first goal is to build up to 100 billion credits the interest from this will pay for your next set of fleets and still have credits left over if you don't try to do missions above your ships, once you get to this point never let your stash go below 100 billion, at this point build your stash to 200 billion before your get your next set of fleets, if you continue to build your stash before you buy new fleets your interest will be able to maintain growth as you do, so you won't end up broke after loseing your ships for whatever reason (yes no matter how good you are or how powerful you will lose ships).
If you can find a way to do it upgrade to a gold account, you will get your ships for 20% less credits and you will double your interest and worker growth, and get some other bonuses as well, keep in mind when you upgrade to gold it last a whole year so it's a very good investment.

4. Designing Ships

When you design ships the first thing you need to determine is what will it be used for, here are short discriptions of ship types:

Swarmers - Cheap ships with HP and high attack, mostly around 2500 to 5000. Used to kill strong ships. Used in fleets of many ships.

Powerships - Ships with no HP and hundreds or thousands of weapons to generate a very high power for almost no credits. They are the cheapest way to get a nebula and protect your strong ships. Used in fleets of many ships.

Pswarmer - Almost the same a Pships but have low HP instead of none and slight amount of ABS and ACU (around 10% or so) . Used in fleets of many ships.

Defensive swarmer - Every ship that you buy in large amounts, that have attack and HP (mostly even defence) and are more expensive then regular swarmers. Those are not used a lot as they do not excell in anyway particular way. Used in fleets of many ships.

Tinyman - (obselete, listed because you still see people reference them) Ship with 3/4/5 space and systems that cost around a mill or ore each. So create a very expensive ships that gets an enormous swarm bonus.

Missionsships/ Strong Ships/ Main Ship/ Tanks/ Super Ships - The ships you do missions with and stuff. Used in fleets of 1 ship.

Next some abbreviations you will see for listings ship specs:

w = weight
cr = credits
en = energy
hp = hits or hit power
acu = accuracy
abs = absorb
atk = attack
def = defence

The way ship specs are listed is usually like this:

GenericShip

Hull:?w ?cr
Core:?w ?en ?cr
Weapon:10w ?en ?atk ?acu ?cr
Special:10w ?en ?hp ?cr
Shield(x2):10w ?en ?%abs ?cr
Comp(x6): 9w ?en ?%acu ?cr

When you see a listing like this Comp(x6): 9w ?en ?%acu ?cr the (x6) means you will need to fit 6 of the listed component onto your ship.

The fleets you have listed when you start are small swarmers, while they are not the best swarmers in the game they are not to bad, so until you learn how to design your own or clone new ones from gold don't sell them.

There are listings on the forums with many computers and shields already designed so you don't have to sit around redesigning them search for the ones listed in the topics as perfect shields and perfect comps.

Now I'm going to give you a formula for designing mission ships it is done in two ways one is discriptive and the other is simple math formula as I know some people have trouble with one way or the other.

This ship design will give you a 3/2 hp/atk ratio by energy after comps and shields

hull:decide hull size

core:hull w subtract 104 = core w (for 6 comps subtract 122w)
core w multiplied by 400 minus 5279 = en

(w * 400) - 5297 = en
if it doesn't have a single digit price change the number that is second
from right to dial it in

install comps and shields
Shield(x2):8w 69912899en 33%abs 3cr
Shield(x2):8w 34960366en 32%abs 2cr
Shield(x2):8w 17484099en 31%abs 3cr
Comp(x4):9w 5468499en 15%acu 3cr

weapon:take remaining en divide by 5 multiply by 2 = weapon en
make 55acu divide weapon en by 2 = first attack view weapon
take cost divide by 10 subtract first attack = final attack

w 10
acu 55%
(ren / 5) * 2 = weapon en
weapon en / 2 = first attack
view weapon
(cost / 10) - first attack = final attack
add weapon to ship before next step

special:take remaining en multiply by .3 subtract 1199 = hp

w 10
(ren * .3) - 1199 = hp

When designing components keep in mind that if a component costs 1000cr, Its actual cost is less than 1cr. By adding atk/hp/abs, the cost of the system will actually go down.

Defence: many people say defence is useless but I see a use for it sometimes.

Absorb: as I understand it absorb works this way
If 1 hp 100% shields wont help you
If 10 hp 10% abs will add 1 hp
If 100 hp 10% abs will add 10 hp
If 1000 hp 10% abs will add 100 hp
(doesn't really add hp it adds effective hp so you won't see it but it is there) it is cheaper to use 6-8 shields than it is to try and get 80%(max abs) absorb with 1 shield

Accuracy: same as shields its cheaper to use 4-8 comps than to try and get 99%(max acu) accuracy with 1 comp

5. Building Fleets

To build a fleet you use the buy fleet button, you choose a hull from the listings it will show both standard hulls and the ones you have designed click on the one you want then it will go to the next screen that list powercores, choose the core you need then at the bottom where it says how many leave it at zero because you are buying a blueprint of a ship right now, you will resupply the fleet after you have finished making it that will give you two advantages, first if you have made a mistake in your design you won't waste credits on a ship you have to adjust and two you only need to train up the resupply skill instead of both resupply and purchase new ships.
Next use the upgrade fleet button and choose the fleet you just bought, you have to fit all the components you designed (click the radio button for custom to get a listing of just the components you designed) for that ship to it (in the case of items that use more than 1 you can fit 250 of any component you have listed, if you need more than 250 you must design it more than once).
Next go to resupply fleet and buy the amount of ships you need in that fleet.
Lastly I reccomend 3-6 mission fleets and when you buy newer/bigger ships do not sell your old ones untill you have as many fleets in reserve as you do in active this will make it so that you will have backup ships to use until you replace the new one that you just lost.

6. Missions

Use the galaxy travel button to get here.

Encryption Missions are where you get segments for successful completion.
Event Missions are where you get these items for successful completion:

Black Hole: turns
Ancient commander: exp
Super nova: segs
Bio experiment: CP

Reavers: opens the way so you can mine
(not really a mission but this is best place to list them)

7. Space Stations/Mines

To build stations and mines you must research them first this is why you saved all those cp.
You have to build a space station before you can build a mine.

At this time (11/10/2007) you must have cloak level 5 to be completely safe from haveing you station attacked and destroyed. Reccommend a minimum of cloak 2 before you even attemp to build one, it will still die but you may get a few days from it first.

You have to clear the reavers first to mine and to build.

---------------------------------------------------------------

How To Make A SuperShip

simple steps:

1. Shields only need 8 space (usally have 3-4 of them)
2. Computers only need 8 space (only need 1 computer)
3. Special only needs 8 space (only need 1 special)
4. Wepon only needs 1 space (only need 1 wepon)
5. you NEVER need Armor (never! it sucks horridly!)
6. you NEVER need Marines (no point, you can get marines from the hull space)

so first you make your sheilds, with 8 space and whatever % you want them (make sure the cost is UNDER 10 credits)

then make your computer, a 15-14% on acc only is usally good (dont need def, for superships dont use defence) (once again make sure the cost is UNDER 10 credits

then you see how much space everything will take, lets say you have 4 sheilds, 1 computer, 1 wepon, 1 special, you add all of the weight toughter, (8+8+8+8[sheilds] +8 [computer] +8 [special] +1 [ wepon] = 49 space)

then you make the powercore, witch is most of the weight, your take the hull of the ship, and minus the amount of the sheild, computer, special, and wepon (in the case above thats 49 space) and the rest will be all powercore (if its a 10k space ship you subtract 49 to equal 9951, and that would be the size of your ships powercore) and once again (make sure the cost is UNDER 10 credits)

then you you can "buy fleet" and buy the hull, add the powercore, and the sheilds onto the ship as well as the computer, then with whats left of the engery you can start with the special

after thats done you make the Special, (you dont need defence on it, for superships dont use any defence) your need 8 space for it, like i said above, and as for the engery, you make it 2/3 of the total engery of the powercore you just made (thats after you added the computer and sheilds to the hull already...) (if you mananged 10mil engery it would be 6.66mil engery to the special) and then you raise the hits until (the cost is UNDER 10 credits)

then you do the wepon you use the 1 space, like i said eailer and then you get your desiered acc (pefferably for a smaller ships around 40-50% as the ships get bigger the acc can rise) and you use all of the left over engery (if your not sure you can always buy the hull, and equipt everything that you have made so far to cheak whats left over, witch should be 1 space and 1/3 of the engery) then you but that 1/3 engery (if you mananged 10mil you can get like 3.33mil engery on the wepon) and you raise the attack untill (the cost is UNDER 10 credits)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Various hints!!!

*HINT* oh my god! You found a nice large gold transport, but it’s pushing the max limit you can possibly do with your ships??? You still want to do it, but want to take as little risk as possible. Wait, wait oh Lovely items!!! Use the highest Attack, Acu, Hits, and Abs bonuses items you can and test your luck, maybe that boost the items give you will give you that boost to keep your ships alive and win the mission.

*HINT* used to many items? Well don’t waste them on week missions, just go to it in the “active items” second and click cancel so you can use it later when it’s needed

*HINT* Watch out as your power goes up your max goes down! When you have 3 ships and a lead ship of 35 mil power, you can easily push 60-70 mil encounters without items. But when you have a lead ship of 500 mil power an encounter of 1 billion power is death!
Powers, and Maxes (without items – safely)
Power ---- Max
15 mil ---- 20 mil
23 mil ---- 35 mil
35 mil ---- 60 mil
50 mil ---- 80 mil
90 mil ---- 140 mil
160 mil --- 200 mil
290 mil --- 320 mil
560 mil --- 600 mil
800 mil + - same as lead ship

(These numbers are rough estimates of ships and the next upgrades power, not exact.. but well I hope you get the point :p)
After a long time (large power – in the trillions) the power starts going down again (because for one items get as high as 34% bonuses) also because after you max out line assembly (80%) you should start placing all CP on Attack and Hitpoints (you should also put a little on abs like 10% when you get to around 10 billion power) Attack and Hitpoints max out at 50% for Attack and 80% for Hitpoints (with these maxed your ships is stronger than its cost, and you can do up to 4 times the power of your lead ship)

*HINT* You should increase the size of your computers and sheilds on every upgrade at least in the start. the ship building guide is designed for teaching only, and its for a 10 mil design (it should never actally be used)

*HINT* you should start with a 1 bil witch should include 2 20% computers and 6 32% sheilds and 45% acu on the weapon the computers should stay the same for a while while sheilds should raise 2-5% (total abs) every upgrade, untill you reach 70% abs

*HINT* you no longer have to geuss and cheak on Sheilds and Computers the engery required for most % computers and Sheilds are posted in the design section on the fourm.
---------------------------------------------------------

Shortcuts!

Pefect Power core:

Weight X 400 - 5279 = 3 credit cost every time

Special:

Engery required X .3 = 66k credit cost (adjust the lase 4 digets for perfection)

Hull Size:

Desired cost / 165

Weapon (ONLY 50-60% acu)

Engery of the Weapon / 2
put that as attack click to design part
devide cost of the part by 10 that = actual attack of ship.
may have to adjust last diget for perfect cost
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:34:53 AM by Master ObiWan1 » Report to moderator   Logged
Master ObiWan1
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:42:43 AM »

8. Planets

Planets are best for making serious creds once you have space staions up, have 500K or above segments and have reached superships in excess of 10tril.

Dont attempt to build a planet too early into the game, they will not pay off..

pls. refer to the Planet guide in the sticky section.

Gaia and Ocean are best for making creds. Ocean planet have much more def but they make less creds..

With planets you need to have very good Subspace cloacking, as long as enemies cant see your space station protecting Planet, your planet will not get conquered.

The best stats for planets are

Planetory Shield lvl 16 - Gives 80% shield to colonists.
Militory base  - Depends on what planet you have, if you have gaia lvl 10  and above you will need lvl 40-45 militory base
You need to have atleast +50-100% combat bonus for gaia.

Orbital shipyard - lvl 6 and above.. This gives 50% HP bonus to Space station which comes handy initially when most players dont have enough power to kill 2tril HP space station..
I dont have time to add to planet Today, i will amend this post tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 11:32:25 AM by Master ObiWan1 » Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 12:27:03 PM »

very nice guide, sticky  1
Report to moderator   Logged

Genotype
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 03:30:56 AM »

Great stuff Obi
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:42:22 AM »

One thing I would like to add for any new people just building their first stations and mine..... 

System fleets....  These are ships that you can leave in a system ( via the system tab in the galaxy window ), ususally with your station/mine/planet to help defend them. Beware, this can quite often lead to your ships being attacked and if it is a player with alot more power, it can lead to your station and mine being destroyed aswell. 
 System fleets have three functions, to help defend, to block reavers respawning and lastly blocks encounters from other players. This last function is why these fleets are more at risk. A Commander can spend all day looking for encounters and finally find one he/she needs and finds someone blocking it. In most cases the system fleet will be attacked to remove the obstacle. Any ranked player can attack system fleets, there is no level protection.
  I just wanted to make all new commanders aware of this issue and to realise your not necessarily being bullied by high level players.
Genotype
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 07:45:45 AM »

One thing I would like to add for any new people just building their first stations and mine..... 

System fleets....  These are ships that you can leave in a system ( via the system tab in the galaxy window ), ususally with your station/mine/planet to help defend them. Beware, this can quite often lead to your ships being attacked and if it is a player with alot more power, it can lead to your station and mine being destroyed aswell. 
 System fleets have three functions, to help defend, to block reavers respawning and lastly blocks encounters from other players. This last function is why these fleets are more at risk. A Commander can spend all day looking for encounters and finally find one he/she needs and finds someone blocking it. In most cases the system fleet will be attacked to remove the obstacle. Any ranked player can attack system fleets, there is no level protection.
  I just wanted to make all new commanders aware of this issue and to realise your not necessarily being bullied by high level players.

Very good advice saturn...
Ziegfried
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 11:44:38 PM »

one thing about the stash. the game says that the stash maxes at 10% interest for 100bil, then goes down by .01% for every 100mil. that means that for 100bil, you get 100bil * .1 = 10 bil (if i got this right), but for 100.1 bil you get only 100.1bil * .0999 = 9.9999bil. it goes down from there. wouldn't it make sense to keep the stash 100bil exactly?
Spayed
First Sergeant

hey hey hey :D

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:01:46 AM »

well untill you have 500bill yes

you see the lower it goes to is 2%

so at 500bill credits you would also get 10 bill.

after that it keeps going up.

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: