Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 16, 2024, 02:26:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SpaceO Wiki  (Read 8624 times)
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2008, 08:53:43 PM »

The SpaceO Wiki has seen little work done on it over the past three months and has very little information on it. So, when I am not on vacation, I'll be spending time updating and expanding the Wiki into a reservior of useful knowledge.

I can't do everything, of course, for I do not know all that needs to be in the Wiki. Not to mention, I am not God and thus need sleep. So everyone should help out with the Wiki. Widespread collaboration is kind of the point behind wikis, you know. If you have never edited wikis before, or need to freshen up here are a good reference and tutorial.

Remember, you don't need to have a PhD in English and be perfect at writing articles to participate. We always need help writing stubs and drafts, as well as gathering knowledge. You can also help simply by checking pages for grammar and spelling problems.

Oh, and there is a User:Your_SOWiki_Name page that you can put your information and achievements on.

Come on people, let's fill this Wiki up! ^_^

Oh, my user page is User:Chronos, if anyone cares.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 11:50:09 PM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 01:31:58 AM »

Oh, this is great, I thought I was the only one updating in there.

It was meant to be loaded with information from the players.

Sticky.
Report to moderator   Logged

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:56:51 AM »

Thanks,

After this next vacation, I should be around for the rest of the summer. I'll be getting some good work done on it during that time, and hopefully I'll get everyone to help.

I am also designing custom templates for us. The first of which is up here. I'd like to know what you alls think of it.

(Added:)
I've got more stuff up. Just look under Wikicasserole on my userpage for details.

(I wuv Wikitext!)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:35:05 AM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

Mobius13
Staff Sergeant

d[^_^]b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:15:52 PM »

can i help?

Mail me or search "Mob's" on wars gold account if u need specialized swarmer designs

Sowars: Mobius13 (#2028)
Main: Mobius12 (#63014)
PVE: Mobius13 (#24)
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 09:50:51 PM »

Of course. Everyone can contribute. That is the driving principle behind wikis.

Right now, the wiki has barely anything on it. Highest on the agenda currently will be to fill it out with pages on the basic aspects of the game. For instance, a page for each of the component types; pages describing each of the main in game pages; pages describing the Market, encounters, PvP, commander level, et cetera; and just general information.

If you don't want to do that, you can write other pages that would be useful, expand already existant pages, or just help to keep everything organized. No one person has to write any page beginning to end, nor should most pages remain written by only one person.

Oh, and don't forget about personalizing your user page! Make sure you sign up for an account. It isn't strictly necessary, but you might as well.

(I've got a complete set of templates for posting ship designs. I'm also setting up an example page that I have linked from my user page.)

Mobius13
Staff Sergeant

d[^_^]b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

great i have a bunch of stuff written in notepad that i have written for new players and decided to keep.

I have added some minor changes to the swarmers topic 1
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:35:31 PM by Mobius13 » Report to moderator   Logged

Mail me or search "Mob's" on wars gold account if u need specialized swarmer designs

Sowars: Mobius13 (#2028)
Main: Mobius12 (#63014)
PVE: Mobius13 (#24)
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:25:27 PM »

Good info.

Oh, and compare history does not seem to work in the wiki. I don't know why.

qe2eqe
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »

Call it greed - but if I put effort into figuring out SpaceO - I'm keeping the edge. This game is fun because doing well means solving problems - and if you put the solutions up...

a) the fun of solving problems is gone
b) your competitors will benefit. Imagine if you played poker, and set up a wiki to share every players 'tell'.

excuse me for being so cutthroat...
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 06:24:06 PM »

The purpose of the Wiki is not to document every possible piece of information, but rather to provide the basic understanding that everybody needs to get started. If new people can not figure out how to start the game, they are not going to stick around for very long.

How much upgrades on a space station costs and how to build a bare-basic freighter are not industrial trade secrets, nor are learning them the main point of the game. The sooner someone can learn this information, the sooner they can move on and get to the main point of the game: the strategy, the tactics, and the holistic aspects of designing.

Beating someone who does not know such basic skills is like beating a foreign-exchange student at scrabble. Your opponents may be perfectly smart enough to play a game like that, but winning against them at that point in their career is not much of an accomplishment.

With such basic information:

A) The main point is still there, and the game is still plenty fun. And,
B) The other player will actually be skilled enough to be called an opponent in the first place.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »

I am sorry that I have not worked on the SpaceO Wiki as much as I had liked. Instead of my life becoming simpler with the end of the summer, my life has become more hectic.

I am taking a full college load this term. On top of that I am dealing with college admissions, which can often be as convoluted and sadistic as physically possible.

Again, I apologize. Expect things to pick up a little in a month or so.

waylain16
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »

I am taking a full college load this term. On top of that I am dealing with college admissions, which can often be as convoluted and sadistic as physically possible.

Man do i  know the feeling
College is a buisness

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:44:36 AM »

Once the Wiki has some more useful information, I would think it to be pertinent to have some stickies in the Design & Strategy Room and the FAQ subforums linking to it.

Isn't there a way to add a link to the forum as a subforum entry? Or am I thinking of another forum software suite?

A^Bloody^Idiot
Staff Sergeant

KartBoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »

Sorry for bringing up old post again, but I've checked the wiki pages, and ALOT of them, have loads of errors and won't load, I dunno how or what to change, or if some people have the old stuff which should be on there, but I suggest some1 (Emi perhaps 16) go have a good look at it, and make it work again.. 1

Greetz, ABI w00t2

A^Bloody^Idiot (#10) - SO Elite
A^Bloody^Idiot (#14) - SO WARS
A^Bloody^Idiot (#66) - SO PVE
A^Bloody^Idiot (#10079) - Sea-O
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

We've been getting spam-attacked for months. I really can't keep up on it as it is. We need better protection against spam. Otherwise, I can't really do much.

slhawkins
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »

I've never played this game before.. but was looking for a new game to play.. regardless, I just went through and edited some of the pages to a previous state they were in, I'd suggest you lock down the ability to edit the pages to certain people...
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: