Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 01, 2024, 02:17:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: cloaking  (Read 2354 times)
presm
Private

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2008, 05:18:13 AM »

SO i thought about cloaking... and i decided it was a bit crap that when you have a cloak it cant be seen at all... so i formulated an idea thus

lvl 1 cloak gives 90% chance station and all assets including planets are cloaked

each lvl of cloaking increases the chance of non detection towards 99%

so scanners would have to work someway right... well with equal scanner technology you eliminate the chance down to the 90% cloaking lvl. But scanners below cloak level would negate 5% of the bonus depending on difference of tech. cloak above scanners reduces cloak effect by 20% towards 10% then 1% effect per lvl towards 1%

lvl 10 cloak 99% base cloaking
vs
lvl 10 scanners. reduces cloaking ability to 90% because they are equal techs

lvl 10 cloak 99% effect
vs
lvl 5 scanners cloak effect 98%
lvl 6 cloak effect 97%
lvl 7cloak effect 96%
lvl 8cloak effect 95 %
lvl 9 cloak effect 94% lowest reduction

so the wider the cloak to scanner the more effective the cloak

lvl 10 cloak 99% effective
vs
lvl 12 scanner would reduce the cloaks effect to 50% effectiveness

what would this mean ... it would mean your cloak could malfunction and you have a slight chance of being spotted, by someone with lower scanner techs.
This would also mean theres a chance for scanners to fail on much lower tech cloaks.
it also puts emphasis on haveing cloaking and scanning, but doesnt make the points invested obsolete by vastly more experienced or powerful commanders.

It would also allow growth of lower level commanders as there cloak may function on there stations to someone much higher tech lvl

also allow much lower commanders to have a slight chance of detecting the station assets of a higher lvl commander.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:37:27 AM by presm » Report to moderator   Logged
Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:45:19 AM »

I think I like this idea. :-)

Let me consider some more appropriate numbers though before I give it my full approval.
Report to moderator   Logged

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
Armageddon
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 10:40:55 AM »

The cloacked fleet can be seen by matching the subspace scanner tech.. I think this system is good and working properly
presm
Private

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:51:53 PM »

Yeah armageddon it is a nice system it works, but its very black and white. It also makes it difficult for newer commanders to progress, not every mid to low commanders will ever see a station survive longer than a few days making an aspect of the game defunct to all but the high level commanders, without a cloak... even with a cloak its pretty pointless as its either on or off. Just suggesting something that maybe bring a bit of balance to the system where lower level commanders have a slight chance there station could survive a bit longer instead of higher level commanders jumping around wasting stations just because they can see them.

Another thought that popped in my head is why automatically see what asset are in a system, some kind of scan to detect if theres a cloaked fleet or object there costing a few turns would be alot better in my opinion, station survivability increased further as not everyone will wish to expend turns to see if theres something there.

garrison ability to  attach a fleet to the station directly to protect it and you have to scan the station to know what your getting yourself into.

Final thing i thought about was to perhaps allow the warp bubble to be put on mining facilities so they warp with the station 20-50% chance or something.

Tech for planets also using phase technology, after a raid or failed conquor attempt the planet has a 80% chance of activating its phase technology putting the planet out of phase with the galaxy for a 1-2 hour period where it cannot be selected attacked reinforced or generate anything in the phase period. obviously phasing technology to counter this effect should be available but not to totally remove the chance of a trigger. Reason for this is to make using 10 raid/conqour attempts in a row defunct and allow a chance to reinforce ect the planet.

aka distress signal sent upto you if you come help but gives a window of opertunity to save your asset instead of mails hey this guy attacked your planet 10 times while you were sleeping its his now because you werent around to save it.
. obviously the numbers are theoretical but you get the basic idea and it gives a limited protection to the stationary object

Qualopec
Lance Corporal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »

You know i already suggested something like this you could have posted there to help improve it instead of everyone just saying it was a bad idea.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: