Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 26, 2024, 05:59:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Content Ideas  (Read 11567 times)
Prophet 01
Private

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2008, 02:08:50 AM »

I realize there was a thread already started here (http://forum.spaceo.net/index.php/topic,3771.0.html) and alot of good ideas came out of that including the interactive missions which have now been implemented.  I have some more ideas and wanted to start a new thread to see what other players thought. 

The main goals are:
Attract more players to SO and keep them.
Make the Gold Membership more valuable by creating more benefits.
Create more activities that can be done without turns and increase SOs playability without overbalancing the game.

1. Make a "Gambling" area where players can indulge in Blackjack or some other easy-to-code game of chance.  This would cost no turns and the Max Bet would be based on the player's Commander Level.  (Max Bet= Commander Lvl^2*5000)  Gold members have their Max bet raised by 200%

2.  Create a PVP Arena at an out-of-galaxy area players can jump to for 0 turns.  Once their fight is over they immediately warp back to the galaxy but are able to return indefinitely.  The Arena would be just like a system except that no 'real' attacks are possible.  If you want to fight someone you must challenge them and they must accept.  In the Arena no fights are real in that you do not lose your ships.  No real damage is dealt no ships can be captured and no marines are killed.  The Arena would NOT be somewhere to make money but more of a proving ground to see whose ships are best.  Gold members would be able to enter a tournament with 10 lvls of NPC fleets.  If you can finish all 10 levels your name is placed on the bulletin board in the Arena for all players to see.  How long it took, what power etc.  This would not affect gameplay besides allowing your opponent the chance to see what fleet composition you had.

3. Because the Interactive Missions are doing so well I thought we could expand on that idea.  In the Mothership Missions tab you could add a section with 4 headings:

Away Missions - Explore the planet's surface.
Scientific Discovery - Space based exploration.
Diplomatic Negotiations - Interactive story telling.
Weapons Lab - Crafting

Away missions would be at least 10 steps with many possible outcomes, but low success rate for a reward.  It could be nearly anything such as exploring a cave complex, long abandoned ruins, crop ciricles or whatever.  Rewards would be VERY basic.  (Hack Cards) (100-1000 workers) and based on your Commander Lvl.  Gold Members would recieve 200% rewards.

Scientific Discovery would be almost identicle to the away mission but based on spatial anomolies. 

Diplomatic Negotiations would be somthing totally different.  The mission difficulty could be based on your reputation and Gold members would have the ability to earn a valuable "Schematic" if they conclude peaceful negotiations with the aliens.

The schematics would be an item that could then be used in the Weapons Lab mission.  Without a Schematic the Weapons Lab is unavailable.  Schematics provide a recipe of trade goods that are required to build the standard items.  For example

Schematic Name:  Prophet's Dark Energy Ray
Item Ability: Attack +25%
Market Value: 500,000,000
Ingredients(each): High tech scanner * 1000, Super Conductors * 5000, Rocket Fuel * 100,000

The use of ingredients would give the trade goods more use and reduce the ability to use crafting as an exploit as long as the ingredient value was very close to the market value of the finished item.  Of course if a player wanted to spend hours buying everything on the market at a decent price to craft items for slightly less that is their option.  Each schematic would only produce 1-10 of each item and if you craft multiples you need more resources. 

Please post your thoughts and let's all help emi make SO the best game on the net!
Report to moderator   Logged
ZackM
Private First Class

GOD RuLeZ

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:43:34 AM »

Very interesting Prophit cool

ZackM         laugh
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 05:34:03 AM »

Well crafting seems to be the next logical step, I have been contemplating a crafting system for some time now... still gathering all the ideas for the project...

The Interactive Mission will probably be those that will provide the blueprints for the items. Also, probably research of the blueprint, etc.
Also would like to manufacture trade goods from asteroid minerals and reprocess items back into trade goods and trade goods into minerals, not buy them on the market. CHOAM will intermediate all trades, like it does with items. So if you get a blueprint you could mine the roids, produce some trade goods or items and then sell for profit... of course some items would be more demanded then others...

Course you'll have to gather all the blueprints if planing to craft a nice item, e.g. if it requires 3 trade goods blueprints and the item blueprint. Or buy the trade goods off the market and use the item blueprint.  1

So I guess there will be a new orbital structure, "Manufacturing Facility" where you will manufacture stuff...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:50:54 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »

some very good ideas prophet. the one about the challenge arena thing could do very well. it would help old players teach new players and also keep people playing

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
waylain16
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »

would the blackjack cards be shaped like spaceships

Mobius13
Staff Sergeant

d[^_^]b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 07:55:54 PM »

I like the crafting idea alot. It could help attract some players that are new to the sci-fi genre by giving them something familiar (to fantasy rpg players at least)

I would enjoy the arena very much... maybe you can get experience for defeating an opponent..or else there people will get bored of it the next day

Mail me or search "Mob's" on wars gold account if u need specialized swarmer designs

Sowars: Mobius13 (#2028)
Main: Mobius12 (#63014)
PVE: Mobius13 (#24)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 10:35:13 PM »

Yeah a PvP Arena sounds cool too, commanders could join like a tournament were each have a certain fleet power they can use.
The tournaments will have a power level, e.g. 100.000.000 fleet power, 1 bil, 100 bil.

Then after 20 commanders join a tournament it starts. Then each of them is paired with another, so 10 vs. 10. After that the winers are paired again 5 vs. 5, etc. until the final, and the winner get CP and turns, depending on the tournament power... Everyone else gets 10 x regular combat experience, depending on what they destroyed and the outcome of the battle.

How it works:
The commanders deposit fleets in a ship pool up to the tournament power limit. The ships are transfered to the tournament to make the armada. The server pairs and displays the upcoming battles in advance on each of the tournaments. Battles are fought each hour using the ships deposited and results posted on the Arena board for all to see. Up to the battle, the commander will be able to change / add to the ship roster. After each battle, the winning commander has to reorder / confirm his tournament armada before the next battle can begin or else a forfeit will be issued. Each tournament will have one battle / commander per day in order to give them time to redo their fleets after the battle. One can also join more then one tournaments but will have to use separate fleet pools.

Wiley Space Cadet2
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »

I like this idea, try and get it going as soon as you can emi  wow
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 11:50:50 PM »

i like the tournament idea. also, i like the other mission varieties but i think that, instead of creating mission types, the tools for generating missions should be expanded. features such as savable mission templates, mission linking and linking to previous steps could all add to this. linking to documents or " mission systems"would also be cool (this would allow creators to transfer schematics locations). on a side note, i think that the npc planets should be incorporated into missions and serve as the basis for a persistent plot-line (add more planets, give them governments and seats on the council). by doing this, it would become possible to also include galaxy wide events (such as alien invasions). note that if missions could effect players other then the participant, many more doors open up.

sry for the ranting format of this post... been a long day. thx for reading.

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Prophet 01
Private

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 01:12:34 AM »

Crafting
There should be Interactive templates made for the exploration missions, one for each terrain/planet type and have the steps appear in random order to stop people from memorizing which steps lead to blueprints, workers, creds, whatever. 
         "Your away party lands in a large grassy clearing, you see desert to the north and jungle to the east." these two options could be randomly selected from a list or the potential reward found in these locations could be randomized.
If these missions are going to be 0 turn missions then the chance of success should be fairly low as well as the blueprints being a single use item to avoid flooding the market with hundreds or thousands of useless items.
A new station facility would be perfect and 'force' players to build stations if they want to craft.  However as stations are limited in use and availability (expecially at the begining of a round) by introducing the council planets into the galaxy they could also offer workspace in exchange for a cut of the profits (2%-10%)
This could also deserve it's own research branch "Crafting" giving bonuses to ingredients level -X%, item ability +X%, item yield +X%, Crafting XP gained +X%. 

Arena
I thought this would be popular!
I think there would have to be more restrictions as to what fleets would be allowed or have different "weight classes"  Ultralight - Swarmers (Hull <100) Total FP <1 000 000
             Light - Swarmers (Hull 101- 1000) Total FP <10 000 000
             Medium - Single fleet (Hull 1001-10000) Total FP < 10 000 000
             Heavy - Mix (singles or swarms) Total FP <1Bil
             Super heavy - Singles - No FP limit

Again, if the council planets were introduced I would imagine that is where you would sign up for a tourney.  The different classes may have to wait until there are more players interested.  Another possibility would be creating an Alliance Tourney, where the fleet capacity was increased and each alliance could enter their own fleets.  I think we need more Alliance based content to add more of social aspect to the game for those players that want it.

deezee66
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 02:06:52 AM »

good idea prophet but i would ad section in the forum for win/loss ratio for competing alliances it might help with alliance pride and loyalty 21
Lightseeker_Eu
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 03:01:05 AM »

good ideas, though this game is becoming too complex and time consuming, one of the main reasons fewer and fewer can actually play it
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 03:06:05 AM »

i love the pvp arena idea, crafting would be cool too

Captain_Nano
Private

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 06:45:32 AM »

Well this would all be nice....but I doubt if any could be added any time in the near future.   wounded1  Also if any of these ideas will be used it might be a good idea to come up with a specific theme... like instead of adding more tabs on to the game did it occur to anyone that it could be a structure located a every system as an encounter that never disappears.  It could look like a space station and when you click on it's picture it acts like a game within a game...

Say I found this encounter called "Space Station", clicked on it.  A screen pops up, it has a few options like: SHOP, Gamble, and VIP GOLD.

-SHOP contains:RARE Items you can buy or sell, special avatar pictures, buy banners and etc...other player designed, and etc for in game credits or CP.

-Gamble contains: card games, board games, and slot games:each with a different set of credit bet limits....

-VIP GOLD contains: extra bonuses for gold members such as: buy SP or AP items for ship designs, get enhanced gambling high-bet gambling games for gold members, and etc...

-Crafting area....

-and many additional possibilities can be extended onto to the "local space stations"....endless possibilities....
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 06:48:16 AM by Captain_Nano » Report to moderator   Logged

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 11:46:04 AM »

is there any chance that tournaments could be cross server?

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: