Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 27, 2024, 11:45:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Design Guide  (Read 17900 times)
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 03:11:12 PM »

... After studying all these formulae for this long, I beginning to believe it's possible to completely optimise a ship with only having to specify the ration between effective attack and effective defense. Excluding swarm bonus, crew bonus, and the defense stat, for now anyways.

More on this later...
Report to moderator   Logged

Hellsword
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2006, 11:13:40 PM »

heh nice... ive been trying to go throguh formulas to simplify them enoguh for new alliance members but im stuck on weapons %ages adn specail isnt as straightforward either... best way ive figured out to do it is to get another variable in teh equation by putting in a attack/hp value were the weapon costs more then 1k then using the cost as another number in the equation, after which it is pretty straightforward... only problem is explainign all that to a newbie >_<

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." -Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 04:16:59 PM »

Ya, the way I was thinking was to get a weapon/hitpoints ratio space ratio, then using that to get an energy for both and then thinking them separately.

The way you twink a weapon's percentage is by finding the attack value for 1% and using the following the formula:
Code:
d
-- (ATK - 1500x) * (0.01 + CMP + 0.01x) = 0
dx

Where
ATK: Attack
CMP: Computer bonuses

And then rounding. Then you add one to it because you start at one rather then zero.

Of course, that only works when the percentage is less then thirty. But, if the percentage you get from that formula is more then thirty you can just set the percentage to thirty, figure out the appropriate attack for thirty, and run it through this formula to get the final twinkin' stats:

Code:
d
-- (ATK - (2^x - 1)) * (0.30 + CMP + 0.01x) = 0
dx

Where
ATK: Attack
CMP: Computer bonuses

And then add thirty to it to get your final accuracy percentage. Of course, this is all based on a constant computer percentage, but I'm planning on making a chart listing attack energy supplies and their corresponding optimum computer arrangement. Though, it'd only work if you're only relying on hitpoints rather then defense, but I digress.

But, ya, it would be hard to explain to a newbie. Heck, I'd have trouble explaining it to myself! ^_^"

(Added:)
The simplified version of the first formula is:

Code:
0.01ATK - 1500CMP - 450
-----------------------

But the simplified version of the second one is massively unwieldly to use unless you got a good graphing calculator or computer math program. Somewhat simplified, it's:

Code:
0.01*ATK - 0.01*2^x - CMP*2^x*ln2 - 0.01*x*2^x*ln2 - 0.3*2^x*ln2 + 0.01 = 0
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:27:06 PM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2006, 04:20:09 PM »

you fellows do the forumlas I dont do well with forumlas I just know what works and it comes.  I get the picture in my head then my hands make it so.  I just know about what this ship is capable of and like a sculptor I make it come to pass.  I build more from my gut feelings than any forumlas.  I build the least amount that is necessary to get the job done. If I have a ship I need to kill I build another ship to kill it.  I can see the stats of a ship and make one to kill it and survive the encounter.  many times it is the same price or some times even cheaper.  however with all the new good ship designers it is getting harder and harder to build killer ship the same cost or less. But I can still do it in other ways.  the best thing to do is to experiment for yourself and find what works best for you. myself I like High acu and abs on my ships. however sometimes it works to be better with different stats and systems. it just depends on what you what the ship to do as to how it is designed.  I have built most of my ships with efficientcy and effectiveness in mind for the cost.  however I have build ships that are very cost inefficent for specific reasons.  what you what the ship to do vs cost is the desiding factor in your design.
with the advent of the CPs ships can be lopsided and still work well for an individual and not for another.

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2006, 06:49:03 PM »

Yes, but often times certain stats have formulae that deviating from them will only hurt you, but I see what'cha sayin'.

Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot of designin' left to do afterwards, it's just I'm using mathematical analysis to point people in the right direction. Heck, if math did everything, how come I'm still so far behind. ^_^"

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2006, 03:32:07 PM »

... Man, math is hard.

Anyways, I gots some more info.

If you're using two computers, the maximum bonus you can recieve for x energy is approximately:

Where p is equal to:

10933, if haven't taken into account the space and initial energy in x.

0, if you have taken it into account or already paid it.

Oh, and here's the WGC generated webpage. Yonder Link!

(New:) Bah! Stupid rounding errors, this is why I'm making a chart rather than using formulae! >_<

* Opt-2-Comp.GIF (1.45 KB, 236x71 - viewed 504 times.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 07:06:47 PM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

Hellsword
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2006, 10:59:14 PM »

wow i didnt get nything in that formula >_< my formulas are simple... or atleast onyl involve one variable XD... and yeah frank you build them off gut feeling, but if you need to get a system to cost 3 changing one number at a tiem really slows ya down vs using a formula

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." -Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2006, 11:55:15 PM »

Ya, I work with optimization, which is inherently more complicated. ^_^"

You see, with your formulae, you start with basic rules and follow a linear path and linear formulae to a simple solution. I start off with, something like (d/dx) (Atk - 1500x)(0.01 +0.01x) = 0 if I'm lucky. You see, that's pretty straight forward. What's hard is taking multvarable systems and finding the optimum values while still following other rules not derived from the system, and then making sense of it all.

If you want something really hard (like, Collage/Grad School hard), try finding the equation that gives you the approximated bonus you can receive for one stat (Atk% or Def%) if you have three computers.

Me? I'm just pooped out right now. I'll probably do that when I get back from vacation mid-to-late august.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 11:57:33 PM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

fat monkey13
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2006, 04:12:57 PM »

That's confusing though, Frank's way is much simpler and takes less effort work out.

The only thing certain in life is death.
"Always look on the bright side of life" 'til you're died that is.
Life is full of all sorts of challenges, and once you've completed one, there'll always be another.
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2006, 04:46:04 PM »

Ya, but my equations conquer more complicated and harder to answer questions.

Besides, I'm not suggesting you do these pen-and-pencil style. They're for documentation purposes, and I'm eventually going to put them into a Java program for ease of use.

Ripiz
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2006, 10:26:06 AM »

How to use ^ ?
And how much will be +2000^(40-1) ? I want to test shield formula works or not
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2006, 03:30:51 PM »

^ in internet terms generally (including this case) means "to the power of".

For example,

5^2 = 25
2^3 = 8
10^6 = 1,000,000

However, if you delve into the magical world of programming, it usually means XOR. But you probably won't see that.

2000^(40-1) is equal to more than a unquardragintillion. (<-- Real word! ^_^)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:33:23 PM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

Finis
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2006, 07:06:49 PM »

Sorry, real life kept me busy for a while. I can continue to offer assistance for this. And Chronos to answer your question from a while back. I have some basic knowledge of GUI's and am capable of doing so.
Russell
Lance Corporal

in game name is Nexis

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2006, 10:16:12 AM »

17 lads

nexis and master9q9
Daring Phoenix
Private

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2006, 12:09:15 PM »

Well, if it is useful to any extent, I have an excel file that does a lot of work for you....but it's nowhere near the automatation you want.....you still have to figure out some things. I'll keep working on it.....you know, "baby steps". Best way to go.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: