Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 19, 2024, 04:59:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Ideas for SO?  (Read 18789 times)
zephyrblade
Sergeant First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 08:25:47 PM »

Maybe battle graphics or something. Most people I introduce to the game say "Why cant I see my ships?"
Report to moderator   Logged

Python.
LOLSNAKESINMAHCONSOLE
AFB
Sergeant First Class

AntiChrist at your service.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:09:43 PM »

Lal, SO is easy to you, but that is because we take some stuff,e.g. ship terminology, for granted. and besides, we know nothing compared to the players like tzark, or vic and der, and other supers. and i suppose it was not easy for everyone.

As i said in my other post, main problems (and not just in SO) are :

1)Too much stuff. Some of it came around in our time, when we knew our basics, but new players have to learn it all at once.

2)Grinding. the whip of 95% mmos. repetition is the only way to progress, which tires out people.

3)Time. people just don't have the time to put in.And the sheer mass of info can give a false impression that learning will take long. ppl want fast progress, which sadly is not usual.

I might as well add on 4th.

4)sence of achievment. to some, there is no sence that they are achieving anything. being high in ranks is usually only temporary, or getting too high means nothing else to do. ever played lineage2? nothing to do except kill more monsters.

So, what to do? Jess had a good idea on to the death server, i put forward base build up, and domination ideas. please, read up, maybe it will help.

What i think is to be done:

1)Grinding can't be removed completely. instead, there should be alternatives.

2)Teamplay should be introduced, as right now, alliances are basically mini-forums, and nothing else.

3) maybe add a award/record system to add some achievment sense.

4) Add a storyline. yes, a storyline with quests just for the player, it may get him/her interested . also, encounters should be more than just battles, but right now i'm still thinking about that.

Ok, I hope this will help. cheers.

signature not found! Where is it?! Where?!?!?!

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 10:11:17 PM »

the last thing u said was brilliant
'encounters should be more than just battles'

maybe if u hit a certain encounter, it could be called like a recon outpost or something like that, then it reveals the positions of 3 other normal encounters within a 25% fp margin of the recon outpost. they would be the closest possible to the current location.

this would make things a bit more lively while grinding missions or searching for encounters

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
davey boy
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 11:22:19 PM »

well as i said before ive played untold rds now and i no the game inside out and i can say i love it as much as when i first played it emi does a great job trying to keep us amused with all the updates i no not everyone likes certain updates sometimes but no one can say he does a bad job and i will continue to play for rds to come 1
BadGuy
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »

And, davey, you could possibly end be here months from now with only a handful of others grinding away.

Anyway, to continue on the points above, I think that one of the most discouraging parts of the game (especially if you're new and can't afford to donate) is trying to get started, where you really have to grind away until you can afford ships larger than 1 bil to be able to really start doing encounters & get going.

Maybe one of the solutions is to making pay for play an integral part of the game where for a nominal amount you could afford to keep up with those who have the time to spend the time.  Unfortunately, right now based upon the credits that you get for donating, someone would have to donate huge sums to be able to keep up with someone who is able to spend hours of time a day on the game.  Balancing this equation may attract or keep those who want to stay in the game and can afford to pay a reasonable amount to do so and be competitive.

I also agree that alliances don't really seem to be able to do much for individual players. If some way could be developed to aid each other in an alliance that really brings out the team spirit such as in Tribal Wars, that would add a new dimension to the game.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:38:20 PM by BadGuy » Report to moderator   Logged
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 12:46:08 AM »

I wanted to have many features, however now I'm starting to think it has too many features and people get confused by the complexity...

If it doesn't work out and people stop playing & donating to support the servers, I will split the features and make different games but will keep the current versions running.

For example a SO that is concentrated only on the Galaxy and the combat in there, lose the main interface and have only Galaxy interface to reduce confusion.
And a SO like in the old days, where there is only rank based attacks and no secret bases, just design, mothership missions and hack your way to the top...

If those versions come out they will have their own game name and domain, too many servers in the list also cause confusion...  2

We need SO classic, the old style of gameplay was addicting, it was fun, it was strategy, it was sparta. I know i personally would be much more active in the game if we had SO classic, rather than the few pot shots I take at people now. And I know there are many Veteran players who would return to play SO Classic.

Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 12:46:36 AM »

i agree

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 12:55:43 AM »

4) Add a storyline. yes, a storyline with quests just for the player, it may get him/her interested . also, encounters should be more than just battles, but right now i'm still thinking about that.

I like that idea, one HUGE thing I look for in my MMOs is a story, as it makes it more interesting, and makes grinding a little less tedious if you know you're working towards something, even if it is just the next part of the story.

And, emi, should you wish to take up a storyline, I'd be more than willing to write/help write/supply parts/ect for it.

For those of you that thinks this game is so simple, tell me that you know the formulas and methodolgy to design all different types of ships, that you know battle strategies and that you know how to gain in ranks in the game. Then also tell me after that, that you have the time to invest to do all of the above to do well in the game. Some of you still think that the "TnS Mk2 1" pships are the best pships out there because they have 3,000 weapons and that more weapons must be better as opposed to the FP that you get per credit cost.

I am now 81 in rank not playing the game and could easily be 20-30 points higher if I wanted to be.  I would be lucky to be top 200 with the same power ranking a year ago when all the good players used to play.

Most of you guys are noobs who don't know how much you don't know about the game and think that because you're high in the ranks that you're doing well. Doing well in the game is all relative.  The only top player still playing now is Losted and with J-Bomb ahead if her, I know that there is no way that she is seriously playing.

I think that with all the other games out there and other things competing for our precious time, a game where you get ahead mostly based upon time that you spend pounding away on missions is, no matter ow addictive it is in the beginning, is bound to fade away.

The thing that first attracted me to this game was the battling as I hated losing and I spent a couple hundred dollars doing that, but it took me a long time to learn the intricacis of the game how to get ahead and then I didn't have the time needed. As for ship desigining, someone had to give me the formulas to make efficient ships that I then had to couple with research and know-how to start designing decent ships, something that was also very time-consuming and I think that Sir Emi did good by putting in the multipliers for equipment so that you didn't have to make the same design multiple times.

Anyway, unfortunately, I don't know that there are too many people still playing the game from the glory days still here to leave their opinion.

One thing that may be helpful is if Sir Emi could contact people who tried the game and quit within a month to get their feedback as to why they quit.

The main attraction of the original SO was the fact that it took SKILL and only skill to get a higher rank. There was NO galaxy, NO missions, just you, your ships, your alliance, and a good couple hundred players trying their hardest to pound you into dust. And back then, losing your entire armada could end your game for that round if you didn't prepare right, but if you did, recovering was a 2-3 day process. You could also not log on for a few days, and not really be too far behind. Now, even a day of not logging in can put you too far behind to ever catch up, and even the greatest player to ever walk the earth will get beat by someone who can grind missions all day.

For those of you say we need to make SO more flashy....you're superficial...and stupid. Flashy can attract attention, but if the substance is poor, you won't keep their attention (unless they're shallow too). Soem of the greastest games of all time have horrible graphics nowadays, and only decent ones back when they came out. Take The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Most people consider it one of the greatest games ever made. It's graphics....no where near all that flash or amazing. They were good back then, but it was the gameplay that kept people playing. I STILL go back and play it over and over, because it's fun to play, not looks good. In a game type like this, graphics would only be a major hinderance.

Basically, to save SO, the following MUST be done:

1) Complexity MUST drop, there is just WAY too much going on now to possibly keep up in the average amount of time the average person has to play/is willing to (4-5 hours). Be this splitting some of the features to just certain game types, or whatever, something has to be done to fix it.

2) A better tutorial MUST be made, and should be incorperated into the gameplay. One big problem is just trying to figure out how to play now. having a manual in the upper right hand corner to click on does little, as most people nowadays hate reading and don't learn well that way anyways. Basically, just like at the start of all games, you need something that walks you through how to do what IN GAME, with little pointers saying click here, ect. And leave the ability to turn it off in the commander options area only, so you have to look for it to turn it off. People will go through the how to play stuff if they think they have to.

3) an SO Classic server MUST be created. Back in SO's golden age, right before the missions were released, we had HUNDREDS of active players, approaching the thousands, we were in the top 10 of game rankings. Since the missions update, we've lost countless vets, and our recruitment numbers have plummited to nearly standstills. Basically:
a) Remove missions, galaxy, market, everything that came from the mission update onwords.
b) Upgrade what an alliance actually IS, while it did work decently in SO's golden days, ally supporting needs to be incorperated somehow, even if it is just helping with credits (obviously, thier must be a range restriction on this, otherwise masive abuse will ensue)
c) Alliance wars need to have joint attacks. You officially declare a war on an alliance, it informs both alliances (one easy way is to make all people in that alliance turn red in rankings), then both alliances can have thier members combine forces to attack high rank players in enemy alliance (In old SO, top players could anniliate entire alliances on their own without fear of being destroyed, that needs to be remedied). This could easily be a seperate attack option, called team attack (or something similar) which allows you to select 1 fleet, and pulls that fleet from being destroyed. Then a 24 hour (roughly the standard amount of time people took to log in at least once) countdown starts, and up to 10 people can add a fleet to the attack, and once the countdown expires, the attack is executed. To prevent abuse, power can be limited to at least 2x your own or something, so no high rank players can join up with a really low guy to blast him into spacedust.

4) No more turn donations, as in SO,Classic that would be MAJORLY abused. Worse than it is now. Turns are your life in SO Classic.

5) Lower or remove the rewards for taking top 10 in SO Classic. Anything over $25 would almsot ensure a skilled player will take a top 10 spot again, which means no competitiveness, which means people will quit again.

6) This one is optional. Maybe up the rewards for PvP in SO Classic, to make it seem more worth it. Like, maybe keep the item update around, but make it if you do over a certain % of damage to a commander, you get a random item, and the stronger the commader is, the better the item. But if you attack someone weaker, you get no items. So like, 2x you'd get a decent item, 3x a good item, 4x a great item, 5x an amazing item, ect. This would encourage risktaking as well. This of course, would not apply to joint/team attacks in alliance wars, to prevent abuse.

As for a name for the new SO Classic, as it would ned it's own name and server, I like the following:

Battle Universe
Galaxy of War
Spacedust
Star Fighters
Interstellar Conquest
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:33:43 AM by Seither » Report to moderator   Logged

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 01:43:41 AM »

Well I see a lot of great ideas in here, the storyline idea is brilliant, new players could start with this storyline where the story would also get them trough the different parts of the game, making it like a tutorial but in the same time providing the newbie player with enough credits to start out...

Also like the idea of a the SO Sparta, all out war 1

Also like the idea of very rare encounters where you have to follow a certain story to get some big reward:
- for example a 1/10000 encounter where you could have a chance to find a planet long lost planet...
- a 1/1000 encounter where you follow a lead to some lost ancient ship that was lost and you get a prototype of a ship in the range of x billion (or whatever the reward) (get the ship + blueprint)
- a 1/750 encounter to get some rare CP item or turn item... (1000+)

etc.

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 04:03:50 AM »

ok, I'm even coming back to put in my 2 cents here...

lemme put it this way.

turns = the equivalent of time your playing the game
in this case, 1 turn = 1 minute of you playing

if someone pays to get an extra turn every minute, he is effectively playing twice as long as anyone else, even though it's over the same timespan

and if there ever comes a point where he/she is getting more turns then losing, they effectively become gods compared to others, only able to be put down by those who share that luxury.

my point? take turn rewards out, or at least SEVERELY limit it.  turns is your amount of time your spending in game.  not just another resource...

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 04:05:21 AM »

lemme put it this way.

if someone pays to get an extra turn every minute, he is effectively playing twice as long as anyone else, even though it's over the same timespan

and if there ever comes a point where he/she is getting more turns then losing, they effectively become gods compared to others, only able to be put down by those who share that luxury.

my point? take turn rewards out, or at least SEVERELY limit it.  turns is your amount of time your spending in game.  not just another resource...

Well said.

and OMGZ, ars68 lives again!!!!!!!!!!!

lalelulilo
Corporal

Hmmm, what does this button do?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 04:42:19 AM »

For me, its the lack of features in area's like battle's and the alliance that stop me from playing, as well as the tedious mission grinding, i have the time to do it, it just gets old VERY quickly and i go of and play some other game.

Some things Emi could consider would be:

Adding more twists to battle's, like critical hits or something more than this boring battle report, another space game i played was uc, and if more than one stack attacked a single one, it gained a flanking bonus and the enemy had a penalty when attacking and you gained an increase to your's.

More alliance features, all we actually do is have a mini forum as was said earlier, so why not (as in one of my suggestions) have a info hub and research for the alliance, or add in group attacks etc etc.

Live each day like its your last.
OMG I'M GONNA DIE TOMORROW.
AFB
Sergeant First Class

AntiChrist at your service.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 07:22:21 AM »

Ok, I think I got an idea to elaborate on the storyline:

You know the way alien encounters work? you travel off a system to where they are. The same thing can be done with story quests, so no-one can interfere.

As for the quests themselves, i'm still thinking.

Similar for encounters- for example, the derelict mothership, u travel off, and come to the site. you send a ship to board it(max marines depend on fp of encounter), no-one there, then the timer starts running, and enemy fleets appear (a la aliens 1 ) in waves. you have to hold them off for the period of time. If one of the fleets stays alive until the next wave, it "attacks" the derelict, and u lose 20% marines. If you win, well, you win. dependant on how far the research team went,if you lose, you may get an odd item or two.

so, what do u think?

signature not found! Where is it?! Where?!?!?!

BadGuy
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 07:50:17 AM »

I agree with all of the comments above by Seither.

It sounds like SO was even better in the days before my time, when there was no pouding away at missions and it was all strategy and battling. 

I certainly would like to try the original SO that Seither describes.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:20:29 AM by BadGuy » Report to moderator   Logged
zephyrblade
Sergeant First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 08:14:43 AM »

lemme put it this way.

Aye, good point.
WB ars.  16

Python.
LOLSNAKESINMAHCONSOLE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: