Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 25, 2024, 07:51:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Ideas for SO?  (Read 18817 times)
BadGuy
Sergeant

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »

It seems to me as if we have lost a lot of players and the game is now a ghost of what it was when I first started playing.  From articles that I've been reading, it seems that MMORPG games that are based upon spending a lot of time pounding away is losing ground to games that reward based on obtaining more tangible objects (accoutrements that you may have to pay for such as better ships or new abilities) than time spent.

Does anyone have any ideas that we can share with Sir Emi of how we can rescue this game?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:52:16 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged
davey boy
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:07:36 PM »

i still think the game is great but a few more turns would be nice  laugh
Report to moderator   Logged
AFB
Sergeant First Class

AntiChrist at your service.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 07:24:16 PM »

http://forum.spaceo.net/index.php/topic,3774.0/wap2.html

Maybe its not exactly a solution, but i dunno, maybe it will work.

signature not found! Where is it?! Where?!?!?!

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:19:12 PM »

I wanted to have many features, however now I'm starting to think it has too many features and people get confused by the complexity...

If it doesn't work out and people stop playing & donating to support the servers, I will split the features and make different games but will keep the current versions running.

For example a SO that is concentrated only on the Galaxy and the combat in there, lose the main interface and have only Galaxy interface to reduce confusion.
And a SO like in the old days, where there is only rank based attacks and no secret bases, just design, mothership missions and hack your way to the top...

If those versions come out they will have their own game name and domain, too many servers in the list also cause confusion...  2

the broken
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:28:58 PM »

i would like to see missions/encounter (other than black holes) giving twice the reward on wars. this is because planets use so many resourses such as segs/CP's/Turns. this would make planets much more viable and also retain you secret asteroid base as well. thats my opinion anyway 6

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

nah i say keep em the way they are
that keeps the planets rare

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
the broken
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:02 PM »

doubling them would also mean that newer players have chance to catch up a little, give them a better edge, they will never catch players with 20mill segs up otherwise, also to make planets a better source of profit (than they are now) wouldnt it be better to be able to invest more?

lostedchylde
Staff Sergeant

Beware this heart of gold, This heart is cold

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 10:07:30 PM »

SO main rocks - Don't mess with it people.

spider2
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:09:17 PM by lostedchylde » Report to moderator   Logged

Lostedchylde is Loveless Incarnate.
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »

idk about u guys, but i seriously don't think its a game-play issue. SO is relatively simple, evolving and one of only a handful of games where the creator participates in the forums. the #1 complaint i have heard from friends i have tried to get hooked is that all of the text/reading gets real old real fast. i guess my suggestion is shifting as much of the game as possible to a graphics oriented engine. i dont rly know how this would work, but maybe even just adding in simple battle animations would boost popularity.

personally my biggest complaint is the encounter system (they should work the same as mission contracts - the multiplier)

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:49 PM »

u have a good idea about the graphics stuff. maybe instead of the mothership ai giving a few paragraphs to read, maybe something more interactive or 'colorful'

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 06:14:41 PM »

true, and possibly work on a better instuction guide to the game, especially with all the new stuff here...

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 06:21:55 PM »

true. a list/introduction to all of the basic formulas would be good too.

-edit-

any chance we can start new players with more stuff? as it is, it is dang near impossible for a new player to make it into the top ten let alone rank one.

maybe have a sponsor option that allows player to pay a small penalty (like 5%) and gift resources to friends that are just starting out.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:25:41 PM by Silence444 » Report to moderator   Logged

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
lalelulilo
Corporal

Hmmm, what does this button do?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 06:34:58 PM »

Spaceo is a very simple game in my opinion, i feel that the thing that is killing it is lack of advertisement, i only found out about spaceo from a friend of mine, i also think emi should select a few choice people to perform certain task's these would include:
A Forum representative, this person would browse the forums and simplify the suggestions to a small piece of text (basic outline, popularity, etc etc)
An External Representative, this person would advertise spaceo around the web.
And last but not least a writer, to make manual's and guide's for all the parts of spaceo
 12 What do you think guys?

Live each day like its your last.
OMG I'M GONNA DIE TOMORROW.
BadGuy
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 07:33:13 PM »

For those of you that thinks this game is so simple, tell me that you know the formulas and methodolgy to design all different types of ships, that you know battle strategies and that you know how to gain in ranks in the game. Then also tell me after that, that you have the time to invest to do all of the above to do well in the game. Some of you still think that the "TnS Mk2 1" pships are the best pships out there because they have 3,000 weapons and that more weapons must be better as opposed to the FP that you get per credit cost.

I am now 81 in rank not playing the game and could easily be 20-30 points higher if I wanted to be.  I would be lucky to be top 200 with the same power ranking a year ago when all the good players used to play.

Most of you guys are noobs who don't know how much you don't know about the game and think that because you're high in the ranks that you're doing well. Doing well in the game is all relative.  The only top player still playing now is Losted and with J-Bomb ahead if her, I know that there is no way that she is seriously playing.

I think that with all the other games out there and other things competing for our precious time, a game where you get ahead mostly based upon time that you spend pounding away on missions is, no matter ow addictive it is in the beginning, is bound to fade away.

The thing that first attracted me to this game was the battling as I hated losing and I spent a couple hundred dollars doing that, but it took me a long time to learn the intricacis of the game how to get ahead and then I didn't have the time needed. As for ship desigining, someone had to give me the formulas to make efficient ships that I then had to couple with research and know-how to start designing decent ships, something that was also very time-consuming and I think that Sir Emi did good by putting in the multipliers for equipment so that you didn't have to make the same design multiple times.

Anyway, unfortunately, I don't know that there are too many people still playing the game from the glory days still here to leave their opinion.

One thing that may be helpful is if Sir Emi could contact people who tried the game and quit within a month to get their feedback as to why they quit.
lalelulilo
Corporal

Hmmm, what does this button do?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

Having Emi ask every person who quit within a month would take up way to much of his time, and this game is pretty simple, the layout is easy to use, the way things work isn't to confusing, sure the formula's are a pain to get used to, but apart from that this is probably one of the easiest games out there, it just takes some getting used to, plus most of the formula's are on these forums anyway 13
Anyway, this is to off-topic, thought we were here to talk about getting spaceo more players, not flaming others because they say the game is easy.
Anyway, we should wait to see what else Emi has to say on this topic, i personnaly would be willing to advertise this game on other forum's, etc etc.

Live each day like its your last.
OMG I'M GONNA DIE TOMORROW.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: