Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
November 23, 2020, 08:38:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com
 
   Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: The Command Project - Fleet commanders  (Read 19588 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant
*

Reputation: +192/-122
Offline Offline

Posts: 1655



View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2007, 04:11:36 AM »

The project objective is to diversify and make the PvP battles more interesting and unpredictable, while lending a hand in the PvE battles.
Tactics, battle tactics with the fleet commanders. The idea is to assign fleet commanders to your fleets if you want / have them, making the battle more interesting.

What are fleet commanders? Well they are special people you find / hire or meet. They specialize in all sorts of combat stuff, while lacking other stuff 1 Basically they give a bonus to something while in the same time taking a penalty on something else...

For example, a Marine Boarding specialist may give 5% bonus to hitpoints and 1% to marine power while decreasing the attack by 5% all per level. Also, on certain levels they gain certain abilities, like something to disrupt the shield absorbsion of the enemy fleet he is fighting, or to reduce their accuracy, or attack  laugh

Of course the battle report will detail all kinds of stuff the fleet commanders did in the battle, making it more interesting to read...

Anyway, these are the project details:

Fleet Commanders
 -> Can be hired at the market (lvl 1-10), found in rare encounter (lvl 1)
 -> specializes in one area while reducing another
 -> each level increases bonus / penalty
 -> special abilities with certain levels (like decreasing enemy stuff, attack, accuracy, absorb etc)
 -> gain exp in battles (100.000 exp for each level.  10 exp for lost battle, 35 exp for won battle)


If you wish, please suggest here any fleet commanders you may want to be introduced, like so:

Name: Will be randomly selected from cool names 1

Example

Specialty: Marine Veteran
Bonus / penalty / level: +5% to fleet hitpoints, 1% for marines power, -5% to fleet attack
Special Abilities (when this fleet is attacking or is attacked. Penalty goes to the paired enemy fleet):
   -> Level:5    Name:Evade        Action: -20% to target attack
   -> Level:10   Name:Penetrate   Action: reduce target shields by 1/4 (note: reducing their shields will make their marines more vulnerable, because ship shields are also the marines personal shield level)
   -> Level:20   Name:Disable      Action: Disable the enemy weapons laugh ( note: at this level you would have a -100% attack penalty, that means 0 attack so the enemy should too laugh

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:28:52 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

jessiedog
Master Sergeant
*

Reputation: +126/-32
Offline Offline

Posts: 872


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »

sounds great
but are fleet commanders going to be one time use? or will they be 'reusable?'
Report to moderator   Logged

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant
*

Reputation: +192/-122
Offline Offline

Posts: 1655



View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »

sounds great
but are fleet commanders going to be one time use? or will they be 'reusable?'

When the fleet with the commander is destroyed, we are thinking the commander has a 75% chance to escape with a pod, if he escapes, there is another (20%-level) of being captured by the enemy if enemy is another player, and there will be a technology "escape pods" that will improve the chance of the commander escaping by 5% per level, maxing at 75% + 25% = 100% = level 5...

So if he escaped, you can assign him to another fleet, if he was captured then the enemy will braiwash and use him...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 02:21:36 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

al3xazz
Corporal
*

Reputation: +19/-14
Offline Offline

Posts: 135


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »

 wow wow wow wow wow

any ETA for this update?

and what if i sell my fleet? what happens to commander for that fleet?

what wil be the cost of hiring commanders? will it be incresing as game progresses or will it be related to something or static?

also there should be a limit on how many commanders you can have+ how many commanders you can hire in 24hrs and an ability to kill.. um i mean fire them when they are inferior to a new available (afordable) commander 1

and heres my go for the commander 13

Specialty: Gunner (can be made rookie/experienced/veteran and so on by changing bonuses)
Bonus / penalty / level: +2% to fleet attack, +1 to accuracy, -1% from fleets hp
Special Abilities (when this fleet is attacking or is attacked. Penalty goes to the paired enemy fleet):
   -> Level:5    Name:Fast shooting        Action: 10% attack bonus
   -> Level:10   Name:Sniper   Action: 20% accuracy boost (works like an item- commander ability adds a whole point to accuracy)
   -> Level:20   Name:Gun master      Action: has 50% chance to do double damage(if chance thing is posibble to code-ifnot then just double damage)
Report to moderator   Logged

Wiley Space Cadet2
Lance Corporal
*

Reputation: +16/-16
Offline Offline

Posts: 76



View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »

 wow this sounds great wow... any idea when testing will start and when it will go onto the main server?
Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant
*

Reputation: +192/-122
Offline Offline

Posts: 1655



View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »

wow wow wow wow wow

any ETA for this update?

and what if i sell my fleet? what happens to commander for that fleet?

what wil be the cost of hiring commanders? will it be incresing as game progresses or will it be related to something or static?

also there should be a limit on how many commanders you can have+ how many commanders you can hire in 24hrs and an ability to kill.. um i mean fire them when they are inferior to a new available (afordable) commander 1

and heres my go for the commander 13

Specialty: Gunner (can be made rookie/experienced/veteran and so on by changing bonuses)
Bonus / penalty / level: +2% to fleet attack, +1 to accuracy, -1% from fleets hp
Special Abilities (when this fleet is attacking or is attacked. Penalty goes to the paired enemy fleet):
   -> Level:5    Name:Fast shooting        Action: 10% attack bonus
   -> Level:10   Name:Sniper   Action: 20% accuracy boost (works like an item- commander ability adds a whole point to accuracy)
   -> Level:20   Name:Gun master      Action: has 50% chance to do double damage(if chance thing is posibble to code-ifnot then just double damage)

ETA I would say two weeks, please suggest commanders and abilities to make it faster 1

You will have something like a commander pool, kind of like the Your Commander screen, but listing the fleet commander abilities / level / etc, and their pic of course, we will have specially designed pics for each of them...

If you sell the fleet he is commanding he won't be affected, you can assign him to another fleet, it's like assigning generals to command regiments, you can re-assign or un-assign them at any time...

Cost to hire: This one is simple, a minimum price based on the fleet commander level, and auction, so maximum price will be set by the players that overbid each other to hire him... new category in marketplace to hire them, and they come there to be hired.

In the fleet commanders pool area, you will be able to dismiss them if necesary, however you can have multiple Gunners or Boarders, but their level will be different, so if you lose one, you could replace him if you have more, or make more fleets, like if I have 10 boarder commanders I could make a boarding Armada... imagine 10 fleets each with a lvl 20 Boarding commander  wow

Your Gunner commander sounds good, it can be coded, but probably change the special ability to affect the target, e.g. -20 % acc to enemy/ 50% change the enemy does 1/2 damage... 1



« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:59:55 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Tzarkoth
Sergeant
*

Reputation: +16/-16
Offline Offline

Posts: 273



View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 05:51:23 PM »


Not sure this update will be better for the game. Sounds like your going to make it impossible to defend ..........

Some questions anyway. :-)

How will bonuses from Fleet Commanders interact with bonuses from CP and Mods ?

ACC = ACC * (1 + CP + Mods + FleetCommander) ?

Is it possible to have Fleet Commanders effect %'s from the Tech Tree, such as Warping Away/Preventing Warp, Scanning/Cloaking, Warp Travel, etc etc.

Is it possible for us to name our own Fleet Commanders ?

Report to moderator   Logged




CEO of Armageddon Inc.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant
*

Reputation: +192/-122
Offline Offline

Posts: 1655



View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 05:59:59 PM »

Not sure this update will be better for the game. Sounds like your going to make it impossible to defend ..........

Well the fleet commanders should not have a big impact on the battle as it is now, just add some tactics by giving  a bonus and taking a penalty... We will balance to not be invincible or too powerful... you see I like to board, maybe other do too, so why not focus more on boarding by boosting my fleet for boarding with a boarding commaner. It's a way to force the opponent to fight on your own grounds... something like that.
Other may want to focus more on attack and accuracy, but have weaker ship hulls and defenses...

How will bonuses from Fleet Commanders interact with bonuses from CP and Mods ?

ACC = ACC * (1 + CP + Mods + FleetCommander) ?

Yes, something like that.

Is it possible to have Fleet Commanders effect %'s from the Tech Tree, such as Warping Away/Preventing Warp, Scanning/Cloaking, Warp Travel, etc etc.

We are focusing on the battle fleet commanders at this time, maybe for the future.

Is it possible for us to name our own Fleet Commanders ?

I don't see why not...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 06:05:45 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

the broken
Sergeant
*

Reputation: +44/-7
Offline Offline

Posts: 204


View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »

how will it affect CP mods and motherships mods because take the example you gave
Specialty: Marine Veteran
Bonus / penalty / level: +5% to fleet hitpoints, 1% for marines power, -5% to fleet attack
Special Abilities (when this fleet is attacking or is attacked. Penalty goes to the paired enemy fleet):
   -> Level:5    Name:Evade        Action: -20% to target attack
   -> Level:10   Name:Penetrate   Action: reduce target shields by 1/4 (note: reducing their shields will make their marines more vulnerable, because ship shields are also the marines personal shield level)
   -> Level:20   Name:Disable      Action: Disable the enemy weapons laugh ( note: at this level you would have a -100% attack penalty, that means 0 attack so the enemy should too laugh

so say i put 5% in attack mods would this cancel out that penelty because it would make ship mods a lot easier to get because if you can get a lvl 20 commander you have doubled the power of your ship by only 1 commander and mods in attack


also can you use commanders in missions
Report to moderator   Logged



Tzarkoth
Sergeant
*

Reputation: +16/-16
Offline Offline

Posts: 273



View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 07:44:50 PM »


Your Marine Veteran will break the game in so many ways it's not funny.

Can we not have these on the War Server ? :-)

Report to moderator   Logged




CEO of Armageddon Inc.
jessiedog
Master Sergeant
*

Reputation: +126/-32
Offline Offline

Posts: 872


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 08:08:16 PM »

that thought occured to me too, but id rather learn a bit more before i agree with you.
Report to moderator   Logged

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
FTP
First Sergeant
*

Reputation: +122/-53
Offline Offline

Posts: 1872



View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 08:31:51 PM »

I totaly dislike this idea, it will unbalance, people will get an attack commander on kamikazi fleets which have already 0 HP.

Against swarmers gettin 20% less acc means they will get below 0% accuracy.

You cant ever defend anymore as you dont want to keep commanders on your ships when you log off and people can use the commander they want. Giving the attacker huge bonusses.

Especialy a 50% change to, all changes to...... are bad, this is a strategie game, if I wanna gamble I'll go play poker.

If you want to give your ship 2% more attack and you get 2% less HP for that, you can just redesign your ship right?

Disable enemy weapons is insane. I will put it on my brand new kamikazi ships with 0 HP and I will just wipe people without the chance of getting hit ever. Especialy on a marine bonus ship it means enemy ships cant harm you with guns, and their shields get reduced making them unable to keep 80% and you get a bonus to marines. Sounds to me like immortal ships......

As the example of the swarmers getting below 0% accuracy, if you can reduce something from your enemy it will automaticly ruin the game as you cant defend against it. Imagen I get a nice high lvl cdr and I'm gonna tease the low midrange players with lvl 20 commanders, they wont stand a chance.

Especialy when you know someones location in galaxy you can keep attacking them till you drained all items, and you will get a view of his commanders, without leaving a counter, so then you can use items and a commander to give you a double bonus.

In my opinion a very bad idea.
Report to moderator   Logged


SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant
*

Reputation: +192/-122
Offline Offline

Posts: 1655



View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 11:30:36 PM »


Disable enemy weapons is insane. I will put it on my brand new kamikazi ships with 0 HP and I will just wipe people without the chance of getting hit ever. Especialy on a marine bonus ship it means enemy ships cant harm you with guns, and their shields get reduced making them unable to keep 80% and you get a bonus to marines. Sounds to me like immortal ships......


Correct me I am wrong, but the Disable weapons ability comes just as you hit -100% attack, that means, you get exactly 0 attack = 0 damage on your kamikaze ships... and remember the disable weapons applies only the the fleet your commander fleet attacks or is attacked by.

The Gunner is not balanced correctly I agree, the bonus should be equal to the penalty, I personally think this could make the combat more interesting... if I can just find the right commanders and abilities...

And of course the fleet commander mortality rate could be increased to let's say 50% if the fleet he is commanding is destroyed and cap the  escape pod tech to 25%, now assign a Gunner to a kamikaze ship and see how many battles he survived... maybe the defender gets to capture him and use him against you  laugh
Report to moderator   Logged

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant
*

Reputation: +192/-122
Offline Offline

Posts: 1655



View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 11:41:49 PM »


Your Marine Veteran will break the game in so many ways it's not funny.

Can we not have these on the War Server ? :-)



Please explain how it will break it, also please note that the Marine Veteran will not affect any fleets he does not come into contact. His decreased attack ability etc does not affect the fleet the entire battle, e.g. if a 1000 attack fleet attacks him, it gets the -20% to attack, etc., however if the same fleet gets attacked in the same battle by another fleet it does not get that penalty... so once again the fleet commander ability does not incapacitate the paired ship, it only works when the fleet commanded fleet attacks or is attacked, it's not like the items that affect the stats at the start of the battle, but rather during the battle...

He affects the fleets he gets into contact with, but not permanently, the other fleets can't take advatage of it... he just makes the other fleet fight like he wants to... with transporters.

There will probably be extensive test server done by me and others before we will implement the fleet commanders to any server...
Report to moderator   Logged

Tzarkoth
Sergeant
*

Reputation: +16/-16
Offline Offline

Posts: 273



View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 12:02:47 AM »


I'm not one to give away trade secrets. I'm sure the other strategic players out there see the potential for ruin. Commanders are a fun idea however, but I wouldn't make them as powerful as you are suggesting. I think +/- 1% per Fleet Commander level would be more in line with the game progression thus far. Allowing variables in any given formula to be set to 0% by the opponent is bad.

And keep the Commander Level cap at 20.

Report to moderator   Logged




CEO of Armageddon Inc.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!