Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 19, 2024, 08:49:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fleet Power calcs  (Read 2302 times)
Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:43:32 PM »

Can we make some changes to get rid of PShips influence on fleet combat please?

Id suggest one of two things; either change the way fleet combat resolves, or change the fleet power calculation to accurately reflect fleet power.

At the moment fleet power is unrepresentative of actual fleet power - so its kind of a misnomer.  Its really easily fudged because it doent take into account defense, absorb or accuracy.

Due to the way PShips exploit this calc, successful fleet combat almost always relies on the use of them.  Personally I dont see how this adds anything to the game.  It just becomes an expense you have to pay so people with crappy fleets cant deal unneccessary damage to your superior fleet.

PShips themselves exploit the energy calc for weapons.  Theres a range of interacting equations here, that, in my view, end up detracting from the game.

Theres a number of ways it could be resolved.

Fleet power calcs could be revised to reflect actual fleet power like this;

Fleet Power = (Effective Attack Power + Effective Hit Points) / Some Number

Some Number is just a way of reducing the value to a manageble size that can easily be displayed - so make it 1,000 or 1,000,000 for example.

Where;
Effective Attack = Number of Ships x Sum((Weapon1 Attack Power x Accuracy%)+(Weapon 2 .. n))

And;
Effective Hit Points = Number of Ships x [(Hit Points/(1-Absorb)) + (5x(Defense x (1+Def%))/(1-Absorb)]

Or - the best solution in my view is to change the way combat resolves - conserving damage.

So if two fleets are lined up against each other and the top fleet fires on the opponents top fleet and destroys it, then any remaining attack power is then applied to the next fleet. 

You would have to preserve the original proportion of attack power, as the next fleet will likely have a different absorb rating.  However, it seems fairly simple to do - that way PShips would rightly get annihilated by the opening salvo's and further damage would go onto the first real fleet position as it should.

One more thing - the accuracy eqn for weapons, or more correctly eqn's plural, are pretty rough - they could easily be replaced by a single smooth equation, rather than chopping it into two weird sections with different equations.

Anyhow - those are my suggestions.
Report to moderator   Logged
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

this would completely change how the game is played and i for one dont think it needs to be changed

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 10:38:49 PM »

The reason its bad is because its a disincentive to engage in PvP.  This is a PvP server - but attacking someone with PShips will just get them neb'd with minimal damage.  They then gain an attack sig, whcih they can use to mash your fleet to dust.

The only thing you gain is segs - and unless your just starting they really arent worth much.

It will effect victory conditions as well - it will just be about making money and having a big fleet - so you can wave around your fleet power and say wow - etc.  Yawn ...

I want to attack and destroy my opponents - not try to build a bigger sand castle than them.
Satan
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 11:44:12 PM »

I like the way it is right now yo, i dont think power and suff needs to be overhauled

As long as two people live on this earth, there will be war.
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 12:35:49 AM »

Segs are very important, on wars which is what im going to assume your talking about. Maybe some sort of addition loss to segs when you use 10 fleets of pships would allow you to do some actual damage to them but the idea of removeing them completely is a little much

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: