Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
June 03, 2024, 10:39:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Turns  (Read 6958 times)
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2007, 02:54:45 PM »

I know that this has probably been mentioned and dismissed b4, but i would at least like to make a good case for it. In some cases when turns are spent (such as travel) the commander receives income for the equivalent amount of turns but in other cases (such as investing in tech) the commander receives nothing. It is my opinion that no matter when a turn is spent, the commander should receive cash. the logic behind this is that regardless of what your scientists are doing, your farmers and merchants don't stop doing their jobs. Furthermore, i think that this should extend to exp. By extending this to exp, i mean that for every five or so turns that u spend (perhaps every ten there by promoting holo-training). The logic for this, is that as your commander ages and goes through the rigors of day to day life (use of turns) he should gain a slightly better understanding of things (as most people do). the difference would probably be negligible (and its probably not worth the programming time), but i think it adds just a little bit more realism.
Report to moderator   Logged

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »

The idea behind not recieving creds for turn while reserching is to make turns more of a payment. Personally id agree with recieving creds for reserch. They are enough of a payment already. However, the idea of a commander gaining exp through turns porbably wouldnt work. Even by  getting 1exp a turn, there would be no difference except at very low levels and absolutly no difference on wars.

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:21:17 PM »

Part of this suggestion is implemented on the SO Wars server.
The commander gains 100k experience each 24 hours at 00:00 server time, making the older commander more experienced then the new...

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 01:52:26 PM »

right, right i know. the idea behind the suggestion was just to add a little realism, maybe a 100k equivalent for turn usage instead? idk but as far as getting creds for stuff... i think if u get paid while spending money on mining, then u should get paid while ur researching. again... probly not worth the time... but if everything else in the game gets to perfect... well hey its one more little tweek that could be made.

-edit-
perhaps a command point system then? for example 1CP/100Turns
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:36:18 PM by Silence444 » Report to moderator   Logged

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »

i do like the suggestion of when you spend so many turns your commander gets some exp.. like really when he does things like traveling or attacking or doing missions he gains experience

the broken
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »

right, right i know. the idea behind the suggestion was just to add a little realism, maybe a 100k equivalent for turn usage instead? idk but as far as getting creds for stuff... i think if u get paid while spending money on mining, then u should get paid while ur researching. again... probly not worth the time... but if everything else in the game gets to perfect... well hey its one more little tweek that could be made.

-edit-
perhaps a command point system then? for example 1CP/100Turns

the 1CP/100 turns would be really good on wars because they are so hard to get anyway because everything takes so many and a top player would have no advantage over a weaker because ever one gets roughly the same turns as black hole dont give many turns, the most i got from a 8/9bill fp was 181, so thats not even 2 CP's

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »

black holes excluded, what would that be? 14 cp a day with voting (or somewhere close). that would probly work... especially considering that u can make as many if u get lucky on voting.

in the interest of fairness though... maybe the amount of cp u get per turn is related to commander level?

for example level 1 commander gets 1cp/25 turns level 10 commander gets 1cp/50 turns? and then with this perhaps the breakdown could be at the titles (because as it is right now titles don't do anything).

anyone got anything against the credit thing?

-Silence444-
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »

I dont think that you'd need to lower the cp gained the higher the level you are. If anything, you'd want to raise it

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
Satan
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 12:17:43 AM »

ya i fit wsa lower then no one would ever level up their commanders until they had like 5b cp.... which would be nice, but.....

As long as two people live on this earth, there will be war.
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 08:48:02 PM »

I need CP, dont let higher lvl's gain less  confused

I like it that spending turns would give CP 1

the broken
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 10:14:15 PM »

at higher levels you need more cp's because you have already spent a lot and need more to keep up with the high useage of cp's, espeacially on wars

Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:20 AM »

I like the idea of gaining income from turns spent researching.

It costs 4000 turns to increase Base and Mining Facility to lvl 7. That is 4000 turns spent not generating income. It costs me 80 Billion in lost turn revenue to research those levels. I assume it costs Broken, Overmind, Nightguard, who have over 1 million segments, roughly double to triple that. And it costs people like FTP roughly a quarter of what I pay.

Example.

It costs me 80 Billion for Lvl 7 Research in lost Seg revenue.
It costs The_Broken 200+ Billion for Lvl 7 Research in lost Seg revenue.
It costs FTP 20 Billion for Lvl 7 Research in lost segment revenue.

The actual cost of Researching lvl 7 is 3 Billion.

So, in my rough example. It Costs FTP 23 Billion, It Costs me 83 Billion, and it costs The_Broken 203 Billion.

So there is a serious problem with not allowing people to earn income from Segments while researching.

Like any protracted War, its all about money, and your ability to produce it.

The current way the Research mechanic works needs to be adjusted.

CP is the limiting factor in research. Why not drop the number of turns down if we can't generate income from turns spent researching, also I suggest dropping the number of turns required for researching to something in the order of 5-10 per tech level and multiplying the Credit cost by 10, 50 or 100.

Further Example:

Lvl 7 Base Station currently Costs:
140 CP + 2205 Turns + 1.3 Billion Credits

But we have already seen above that the actual cost due to lost turns varies greatly between players depending on how many segments they have. Moving the cost to;

For Example:
140 CP 70 Turns and 100 Billion Credits.

Means that active players with Segments aren't disadvantaged as badly.

In short I agree with the above posters in that the Research mechanic needs tweaking. Coding wise, I think the easiest solution would be to allow income while researching ... A little bit more time intensive but nonetheless not too difficult would be adjust the Research Tables, decreasing Turns Spent and increasing Base Cost. Judging by Emi's PHP code I'm sure he could do it fairly easily.

I wouldn't touch the way CP is gained/spent ... Just the way Turns/Credits interact on the research trees.

Cheers

Tzar

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 07:37:29 AM »

Tzargoth why do you think my segs are so low?

13 Space Station 33% 13 Mining Facility 33%

I just dont have much turns left after those researches :o

Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 07:58:40 AM »

Tzargoth why do you think my segs are so low?

13 Space Station 33% 13 Mining Facility 33%

I just dont have much turns left after those researches :o

The game says you have 182856 segs ... No thinking involved. :-)

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
the broken
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 09:24:56 AM »

i dont use bases thats why i have so many segs and i invest in other research and just what i need, thats why i can afford bigger ships because im not losing anything on research, granted i can build a cpuple of bases but i dont want to yet

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: