Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 27, 2024, 05:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: image pack  (Read 3554 times)
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:46:24 PM »

I don't really know just HOW effective this is, but after seeing ALLLLLL this talk about saving bandwidth, and after remembering about it when offered to download one for another game, I thought maybe I would at elast bring up the question here.

basically what the image pack would do (for all those that don't really know) is where everytime you load a page, you are requesting every single picture on that page from the server yet again, everytime.  what an image pack is, is where you download ALLLL those images that make up the game so that when you get onto Space Odyssey, you load all the pictures from your own computer, and thus saving the server all that time to give you all those pictures again.  also, I have been told this also from various places this allows you to modify the pictures to create your own personal view of it. not sure though 1 

anyway, as I said, I am not exactly how much this would help though Space Odyssey being really very simple pages strung together.  (no offense emi, just saying the pages that are loaded themselves)  but thought it might be worth a suggestion at least, to bring it up.  (that and maybe make the computer AI the AVATAR...  that wouldn't work, the avatar is brought to everyone attacking you to...  hmmm....)

aaaanyway, just a possible pictures as example:
the page layout, sides, buttons, stuff like that  (this right here is most of it)
all those extra pictures like when you go to upgrade ship and it has that ship picture
Report to moderator   Logged

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Charlemagne
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:02:24 PM »

Wow.  Nice thinking ars!

In this picture there are 40 people.  None of them can be seen.  In this film we hope to show you how not to be seen.
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:47:09 PM »

I have seen this in other games as well and this should increase the load times and all

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:39:28 AM »

Yes, this would greatly help people, dail-up and broadband, as well as allow for more bandiwdth.

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:09:43 AM »

I have this idea noted to be added later, when the load icreases.
Thank you

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:12:34 PM »

ok, as I said, wasn't actually sure how much it would REALLY help at the moment, except for enabling people to make their own pictures and use them instead of standard ones. 

actually, the first place I remember seeing do this actually gave a small reward for people to do this, then I think they actually had player submitted variations of the pictures o.O   lol.  anyway, glad to help, if/when it does.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Smee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 11:34:38 PM »

good job ars
u beet me to it lol
anyways from wat ive been seeing at our current load its all mainly alts or people joiing then quiting right away.
but to be honest i think accounts tha havent had someone log in like 100days or so get there accounts deleted ^^ i think that could also help bandwith load ^^

but yea spam
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 01:33:03 AM »

That sounds reasonable, but to prevent someone's account accidentally getting deleted, a "vacation mode" should be added in the account area, which when activated, tells the game the user is still active and not to delete the account incase they can't get on for a long time.

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: