Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
April 27, 2024, 05:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Serenity's Tutorial site  (Read 7531 times)
chicpea
Corporal

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:02:37 AM »

Hi all

This site has been created to save new players from scrolling through alliance boards to find out information on how to play the game, i hope you find it useful in you space travels.

http://www.freewebs.com/serenity_lives/

Report to moderator   Logged
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 03:03:58 AM »

THis is one great Guide to the game and ship design section for new players

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:39:06 PM »

wow, very nice, good job. I'm impressed, even I learned a few things here and there, and remembered some tricks I'd forgotten.

Remfer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:53:18 PM »

yeah, but the market still only has a guide really for 10k segments worth of wearhouses, and the things sold in the market that don't need 1mil space, are being sold for top price so CHOAM can just gip u off
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 01:20:06 AM »

market is kinda hard to write a guide for, since it changes and varies so much. It's like trying to write a guide for the stock market, they're never accurate or useful.

chicpea
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 10:38:30 AM »

The market is not a guide to tell you what to buy or how much but it gives you an idea on how it works, when buying odd items the process works the same as buying 1 mill items. And as most of you noticed when first playing SO you was a little confused at the Sell Offers and Buy Offers as they seemed reversed. This way showing the process in pictures as to what order you play the market in ie: buy from sell and sell in buy. The guide was initially created for Serenity members to save new players asking old questions and saves them waiting for a reply if no ones around. It's not a guide to tell you what to do just explains a few things on how the game works.

Hope this clears this up.

Chicpea

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 04:56:23 AM »

yep, hence why it's actually really good. It doesn't say do this do that like most guides, it goes the red button blows up the world, the blue button fires torpedos, and the blac button orders coffee. we advise using your hand to press the buttons.

NattyFido
Unidentified Commander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »

Thanks Chicpea, although I had figured out how to get system prices down the hard way (LOTS of trial and LOTS of error!). I wish I had found your site at the beginning of the round, maybe I would be up there with you! Still, next round I won't be as disadvantaged!
One thing though, it might just be my browser (Konqueror on SuSE Linux box), but the colours and text size make it a little hard to read.

So long, and thanks for all the fish
TSKAThanet
rabbirob
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 12:23:07 AM »

I checked out the site. It's generally good, but I do have a bit of an issue with the ship building section. I used it to create a ship based on one I had already designed.

my ship
wt 6000
att 296523
def 2900
hp 72273
acu 46%
  actual att: 136401
components used:
PC, Special, Weapon X2
cost: 990033

tester
wt 9351
att 24091
def 0
hp 72273
acu 50%
  actual att: 12046
components:
pc, special, weapon
cost 1543124

I have 2 problems with the design based on your advice.

Hull size adds cost and I would have to add at least 32 more if I had put in shields and a computer (wich would have required much more power and therefore yet more hull space wich in turn drives the cost up).

No defense.
Each point of defense is like a virtual 10 points of hp for the first attack (if I understand the mechanics correctly). Sure, I could block something like 42% of incoming damage, but if there is more than 72k damage left, your ship is gone. Easily possible. Just as an example, my ship, after factoring the 42% shields leave 79k damage done to your ship.

my ship has a defense of 2900. Multiply by 10 and you get 29000. The ship designed by your system at it's max leaves almost 17k to even touch hp.

First round, you get 2 ships to my 1. I'll even give you first shot. Here's to hoping I'm doing this right.

You do 24092 att (since I'm going with max figures using actual att that factors in the 50% acu). I have 29000 defense. Your attack fails.

My attack. I do 136401 att (using my max actual att). You shields reduce the damage to 78673. You lose 1 ship.

round 2.

you do 12406 att. (if I'm doing this correctly, def only applies to round 1). I have 72273 hp; your attack leaves 59867 hp. Your attack fails.

I do 136401 att reduced to 78673. you lose 1 ship.

Now here's a ship that is closer in price range to the one designed with your system.

comparative ship
wt 9090
att 197166
def 2001
hp 231438
acu 47%
actual att: 92668
abs 42%
comonents used:
PC, sheilds X3, special, weapon
cost: 1502870

This one has shields in addition to def.

What I can't figure out is why bolth my ships (on paper at least) outpreform the one I designed using the system on your site and still cost less.
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 01:49:49 AM »

You must understand that the site is not desinged to give super ships, it is a guide and many of the ships were designed many rounds ago. Some of the stuff has changed like Defense bonus and swarm bonus. but a ship with defense is designed to be used as a swarmer in larger numbers to take advantage of the Defense bonus.

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
rabbirob
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 02:57:20 AM »

You must understand that the site is not desinged to give super ships, it is a guide and many of the ships were designed many rounds ago. Some of the stuff has changed like Defense bonus and swarm bonus. but a ship with defense is designed to be used as a swarmer in larger numbers to take advantage of the Defense bonus.

I understand that def should be used for swarmers, nor was I trying to get a super ship. I also got that the guide was written and not updated for several rounds. I was looking for parity in size/cost ratios to effectiveness.

What I wasn't sure of was the intended usage for ships designed using this system (is it an attack ship, mission ship, power ship.....). I don't think emi has made signifigant changes to the hull size/price ratio. Even factoring in changes to def and swarming, this system seems to make overly large ships. If you are going to pay 999 trillion or more for a ship, why the concern over the cost of the components used? I mean 999 trillion for the hull, what's a few mil on components.....

The issue is that the system doesn't work for superships or swarmers that are worth the extra money. I mean 2 ships built using this system with each costing well over an additional 2.6% each can't meet one I can build using my newbie understanding of design.

I see a lot of people trying to minimize weight on components. The issue is that sure, you have an awesome weapon with 1 wt and 1 cost and 50% acu, but the power requirement means you can't use it on many ship types or even 'cheap' ships. And if the ship ain't cheap, why worry about wt/energy/cost ratio so much?

That was more like the point I was trying to make. Why the attention to detail if the ship is going to be so massive as to require you to make a donation to afford just one?

The size of the components is the limiting factor here. Reducing weight is great if you have the money to pay for the hull that your massive powercore requires. The more space it uses, the bigger the ship needs to be. The bigger the ship, the more it costs.

Like I said, I've not got the fine details down, but this is simple. Bigger does not mean better, just more expensive.

The system for ship building given here is not effective for the game as it exists now. I also doubt that it was the most effective method even several rounds ago. Worrying about the powercore last is a mistake when designing. Obsessing about minimal weight is also a mistake. Concern over minimizing the cost of the component is only an issue if you don't have large amounts of money laying around.

rabbirob
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 03:02:49 AM »

But otherwise the guide is pretty good.
chicpea
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 01:21:05 PM »

As i said before the site is only a guide not intended to just use the ships that are posted, the idea was to explain how to bring cost of systems down plus how to assemble the ship really just explaining what u do in each section.

It's not intended to tell others how they should play or give them an easy ride on the game. It was only meant for Serenity members at first but as i was always asked how to play by new members i thought i'd go public with it. As its much easier to explain with pictures especialy if there is a language barrier. ive also posted a note in the guestbook on the Serenity site saying if u want to share ship designs i will gladly post them on my site just send via in game mail to Chicpea or number 7135.

Now im gonna lose my internet  10 crybaby will catch u all in a few weeks when i get settled n reconnected again take care all.
altaree
Private

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 04:24:29 PM »

The site seems to be dead.
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 05:06:36 AM »

TOpic not sticky anymore due to the Serenity site being taken down.  but there is still a few items here to make the topic worth having

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: