Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
March 28, 2024, 04:05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Updates & projects on demand supported by donations  (Read 6276 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2015, 04:44:38 PM »

Hello everyone,

I've just had an interesting offer that we could gather a budget for new updates.

Players could support an update by donating for credit to their affiliate account witch can be converted into bonuses in game like a normal donation, but witch also goes towards a specified project that we define in here.

On request I could also post on the forum who contributed, or otherwise it would be anonymous donations to support the specified project.

More news about this coming soon.

Have fun  1
Report to moderator   Logged

Commander Cole
Private

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »

Yes this sounds awesome and will spread the word 1

Let put our ideas together guys so we can tell him what direction we want this game to go so we can support the game and have afun time playing it like we have before .

=)
Midnight44
Staff Sergeant

Midnight44

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »

Not trying to be a smart-aleck but if funding was the reason you haven't even given my ideas a second thought or even acknowledged a message I spent over 4 hours typing- You should have said so. Now, what we've got here is a failure.. to communicate..

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 05:13:55 PM »

Not trying to be a smart-aleck but if funding was the reason you haven't even given my ideas a second thought or even acknowledged a message I spent over 4 hours typing- You should have said so. Now, what we've got here is a failure.. to communicate..

I'll try and respond more frequently to your messages.

But please don't lose any more ships as it takes time to check logs and investigate. Only pays off if I can find a bug.
And I don't change ship names, sorry  1

Commander Cole
Private

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:21:24 PM »

PvE server change/ ideas

1: One thing i would like to address is the fleet power "issue" in PvE........ I dont know if it was purposely done but your power derives about only 16 % { <-- rounded} of your real fleet power......

And the only way to have a correct fleet power is to have one main or 1 "fleet" of any ship....... And you only see encounters at the fleet power that is on the rankings.....  one thing i did also notice is that you power to your real fleet power when a new wave of aliens spawns and your in the incursion when it happens but roughly less than a couple minutes later you are back to your 16% of the fleet power your suppose to be at.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2: The amount of aliens spawned in PvE is very miniscule you get maybe 3 aliens to hit and then you wait the 7 minutes for another wave ect. ect.
   So maybe more aliens.

===============================================================================================================================

Space Odyssey Main issue /ideas

1:Killer fleets does slow the rounds down, but losing alot of ships may have been the wrong way to do it...... It hits your drive when you lose your ships so easily
So maybe an alternate way of slowing down round..... maybe encounter like GT And Endangered planets give less workers or creds..... maybe make planets more "wantable"
So maybe increase planet output

Midnight has more than enough ideas how to change the killer fleets..

Just a few thoughts on those 2 servers as of now...... and im not the most creative but those are some changes i would donate towards   =)

davey boy
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 07:30:45 AM »

lol you want us to donate for new updates laugh i have donated lots in the past but pve does not get any updates does not even get fixed so why should i donate to a broken server fix this and ill gladly pay but wont hold my breath
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:33:19 AM by davey boy » Report to moderator   Logged
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 01:31:28 PM »

lol you want us to donate for new updates laugh i have donated lots in the past but pve does not get any updates does not even get fixed so why should i donate to a broken server fix this and ill gladly pay but wont hold my breath

We'll get some updates on PVE if requested, it looks like Commander Cole and davey boy want a change to the ship power, sure we can change it.

Decimus
Private

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 02:05:56 PM »

Could you maybe put a goal on this donation amount? or maybe start a kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/start?ref=learn_top
monkeytm
Private

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »

To quote a previous message emi
Hey guys! Good to know we still have some dedicated players on Space Odyssey  1

Midnight, I've read all your messages and I usually reply, but reimbursing fleets is reserved only if due to a bug in the game. Now there haven't been bugs, but not many new updates either, I agree.

However, if there is still interest in the game I'm sure that updates will follow. I have an updated game engine now with a lot more features under the hood. I could probably give Space Odyssey a makeover and make it mobile friendly, plus some cool new features.

For the past year and a half, I've been working as a freelance software engineer in the financial district of Toronto on contracts so that I can support my family. While I would love to work on my passion witch is space exploration games, I have to prioritize a lot these days, so I can pay the expensive rent. But don't worry, I'm still working 16 hours a day, 50% for developing games and 50% for economic software. But of course I would love to do it 100% game developer  1

Anyway, I've received an interesting message from you guys and I've opened up a thread about it here:
http://spaceoforum.etvirtualworlds.com/index.php/topic,10396.0.html

Have fun and thanks for playing SO!

This seems like a good starting point. What sort of donation would you want to make this happen. As I believe this could bring back a few older vets back and also more appealing to new players.
I also think a more detailed beginner tutorial could go into a bit more detail on what directions they can take to progress faster into the game.
The ideas of other players could be inplemented at the same time like a mass upgrade. Im sure there are a few players who could help out to ease the load.

Thanks
Monkey
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:22:36 PM by monkeytm » Report to moderator   Logged
Liawuffeh
Private

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 10:09:54 PM »

As someone who learned the game somewhat recently, I think more than just changing FP, a better means of seeing if an encounter is too strong for you would be nice.

Like; Early on, you don't want to take on things that are more than like 20-30% of your FP, it's just simply too risky and you'll loose ships a lot.

But later on you can(And need) take on encounters that are much higher, from 60-100%, and even in the 150-200% after you get commander upgrades.

As someone who has played a bit, it seems kinda obvious, but when I was starting out I had no clue. I would attack things at 100% power, lose all my ships, and just not understand why.

Also if there was a way to make planets better/Ship builder more intuitive, I'd def donate towards them.
Midnight44
Staff Sergeant

Midnight44

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »

Liawuffeh, GREAT IDEAS!!! Ya, a lot of new people turn away because of the complexity of the game and dealing with "SAFE" levels of fleet power to engage when first starting.

Yes, the "Danger Level" calculator is WAY off.. As it can easily cause you to lose your whole fleet. That, in and of itself could potentially be reason enough for emi to replace EVERY ship loss within the first 2-3 weeks of a round.. If the system says the danger level is "Low" and I lose my entire fleet, then how's that the user's fault? I'm getting a bit in-depth-

But emi, don't put on show for someone requesting a ship be replaced with all of the problems that exist in-game. Particularly problems that shouldnt be occurring to players such as myself and dave, who have by all rights mastered the game.. Ship-loss should only occur when we do something stupid.. Not within the normal confines of safe income and so called "Low" danger level. Despite knowing "Low Danger" is about as accurate as my clock saying it's June 16 1942.. But, ok, emi, I will forgo my request to have ships replaced during the start of the round in the hopes that your time could be better spent actually fixing the CAUSE for my ship losses.

I explain all of the reasons for ships being lossed in the most recent message I sent to you.. If you simulate several hundred PvE battles you will see that the top 3 PvE fleets generally have lower attack (whether measured attk/cost or attk/power) because ABS affords them a higher fleet power and priority in facing lead ship.. Therefore, the bottom 1-7 fleets consist purely of 2k-100k cr, 4-25% acc, 0% abs ships. Aka- killer fleets.

So, I have proposed a VERY SIMPLE short-term solution.. Have ALL PVE fleets spawn in descending order of ATTACK- not power. You will see that the lead 1-3 ships' ability to kill a LARGE portion of the (High Attack) PvE fleet will balance the lower fleets' inability to kill the high abs ships they now face- as opposed to facing killer fleets. I PROMISE, unless you get screwy with something else in the process, this WILL eliminate ATLEAST 1/2 ship losses!! Should only take 15-20 minutes to implement!!!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:59:53 AM by Midnight44 » Report to moderator   Logged

Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 05:11:58 PM »

One thing I've thought about this game is that each round can become repetitive. I think an element of randomness could make each round slightly different or something like an objective to aim for ( other than just trying to gain credits and CP's! )
Some idea's I have had, some I've possibly posted some years back....

1. Have some rare parts or resources that can be found from killing different types of aliens, they must be hard to find ie 1 in a 100 chance or even more. Gaining enough of these grants you a bonus such as a 24 hour attack shield ( different from a neb in that you can still do encounters aliens etc ), bonus to stash and/or worker production.  Or a harder option find for example 5 parts to assemble a powerful item... these parts are so hard to collect all, that there is no guarantee that it will happen each round. The reward for finding and assembling all the lost parts could maybe give a 1 hour invulnerability shield against pve encounters/aliens... think how that could implemented if done wisely!!

2. Have an end of round statistic table.... top PVP attacker based on number of attacks made, most attacked player,  player with most aliens killed, most insane attack ( highest percentage fp compared to players fleet of enemy killed ), most traveled player ( turns used) etc

3.  Hate to say it in case upsets a few friends I have in the game.... but limit alts!  Alts can have a very beneficial advantage, not just to the player using them... even this round I've benefited by using the alts of other players to find encounters.

4. Players having a station on each star in a quadrant gain a 10% production bonus to all facilities in that quadrant.

5. War declarations... alliances can formally declare war on another which then instigates a set timer ( say 48 hours or 1 week ) at the end of the war the winning alliance all gain a victory reward. maybe that could be credits, for example...

total fp lost by opposing alliance - fp lost by winning alliance = X credits

This would benefit a smaller alliance taking on a big alliance and winning that the other way around!  The credit pool would be shared equally to each of the winning alliances members ( state of war means that alliance recruitment is stopped, otherwise people might hop onto the winning alliance at the end)

I'm not gonna post about the ship combat formulas etc as haven't been active enough in the last year or 2 to really have an in depth opinion to give my say.. plus as I can see, you all are on the case for that already!!

Feel free to express your opinions on any of the above, they are just some brainstorming ideas to try instigate debate and change. If you think it's all dog's dangly bits then feel free to say so!! nervous1

Midnight44
Staff Sergeant

Midnight44

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »

I like ALL of Sat's Ideas! Especially #1!

May disagree with the alts thing, since alts no longer give one the ability to carry out Multiple Attacks on the same player. I believe, after Emi's restrictions of them they are pretty well harmless.

Despite maybe a sum total of 3-4 players complaining about the use of alts- I believe if popular demand requires a limit be placed on them however, to me a MAX of 5 alts would seem a fair number..

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:11:31 PM by Midnight44 » Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: