Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 04, 2024, 02:06:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New missioning system, combined with Galaxy  (Read 10389 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2006, 11:57:11 AM »

Mission system changed:

- Mission costs 5 turns again, but is Galaxy based, and you have to travel to the mission spot.
- there are always 350 missions of encryption 1 in the Galaxy, that's 1 in 2 stars, you should travel on average 10 turns, the ones saved by lowering the attack time.
- To spot a mission in your quadrant, go the mission contracts, you will see the filter shows the missions available in the quadrant you are located in. You can travel or accept from there.
- Missions function is similar to encounters, a max fleet power and reward for every mission, depending on encryption.
You should get the max fleet power on average 10-20% of the time. Killer fleets are out of the picture, for now.
- You can make a mission as many times as you like, until it is completed, when it will relocate

Galaxy Quadrant add-on:
- A new navigation system for the Quadrant Map, you can see a compass like movement buttons, showing the North,South.West,East quadrants from your location, to change quadrants easyly looking for missions, and make exploring more quickly

The mission encryption system works like this:
- Every time you complete a mission for a certain encryption, another mission at the same level of encryption appears somewhere in the Galaxy. There are always 350 level E1 missions, no matter how many commanders complete them, they just change location. After you reached encryption level E2, a new mission will be spawned, additional to the relocation of the encryption 1 you just completed. You may continue to run E1, but the other encryption will give more reward, but will be more dangerous. The number of new E level missions depends on the number of mission commanders that reach the next level, so if there are many of them, there will be many E2, then E3, then E4, E5... etc
The previous encryptions will be left for the others, while new levels spawn to meet the higher and higher difficulty.
You can always come back and do a different level, like if you have Encryption level 10, you can do 1-10.
- There is no limit on the level of encryption a mission can achieve
- Standing will count when the Council update is in place, for the members that will be ellected
- Standing is not like rep, and will always go up with mission E+5, upon completion, up to 50 standing per mission, giving a new level of E for every 15 missions
- So to get better missions, standing needs to increase, to increase standing, you need to complete missions, turns invested in missions should pay off in the end.

Other fixes:
- Nebula reset to 24h when attacked fixed

Next step in missions, is to introduce item drops, and salvage operations as described in previous posts.
I'm awaiting suggestions and complains, as well as bug reports, thank you  19

God Speed commanders!  1  12
Report to moderator   Logged

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 12:27:10 PM »

- Update: Mission costs 1 turn after you have arrived in the system

Hellsword
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 01:02:28 PM »

... well its horrible and totally changes evrything... emi couldnt you at least have held it til lnext round where evry1 will start =...

and also no ways its 15 missions raises you an E level, ive done at least 10 im 13% of wy to lvl 2...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 01:04:30 PM by Hellsword » Report to moderator   Logged

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." -Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.
chicpea
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:27:33 PM »

Well im not too happy about the changes, i usualy get over 400 mill on a 1% mission now i get 8 mill and where i usualy get 15 mill from bio farms doing a mission i get 1 mill so ive lost over 390 mill plus it cost me 45 turns to do 2 of the new missions yet it would of only cost me 30 turns. i cant see me sticking to this for much longer not at such a loss. Ive been dedicated to this game for quite a while now and this must be the worse upgrade ive seen yet.

duke2004x
Private

Kill Or Be Killed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 01:34:05 PM »

Yup I agree, I think it should be reverted back to the original missions.

TheDarkness
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 01:34:43 PM »

I have to admit it does change the whole game entirely, the galaxy system being seperate to the missions was great, it gave you options, now it looks like in order to get anywhere in this game your going to have to donate for turns just to keep up with everyone, which usually wouldnt be such a bad thing except i think i will save my money from now on, this will work out expensive, i wish i had kept my money now and not donated anything for anyone, but seriously this new system just looks wrong, maybe it's just because it's new, but it does seem to work out more expensive on turns...

Old system was great new system has to have the thumbs down, 1 turn for mission sounds great but what a loss in turns just to reach it, Have fun people   1
Lowball
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 01:37:55 PM »

I agree that this is horrible......I haven't been playing this game as long as some here but I'm sorry now that I decided to become a gold member.  You really had a decent game until this. confused 4
TheDarkness
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 02:38:59 PM »

Although these changes do seem a little too much can someone please tell me the advantage of a gold account with these new changes, i can only see loss now, and please can someone, anyone please please please tell me the advantage of this new system over the old??? The game was great last round and was worth the money, now you have to wonder if this is going to make or break space odyssey??
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 02:48:25 PM »

well, maybe the problem is also that everyone will be the first to say how bad it is, yet not be so willing to say how it may be improved.

first things first though, E, yes, you should DEFENIETELY have waited till the absoulte begginning of a round.  why?  8 mil in 1 mission is nothing at all.  if you waited till beginning of a round, then 8 mil would have been fine until they get to doing higher missions.

speaking of higher missions:
- Standing is not like rep, and will always go up with mission E+5, upon completion, up to 50 standing per mission, giving a new level of E for every 15 missions

this sounds like the amount required for next level is always the same, but the amount you get is lower accordingly, big problem.  from the looks of it, it will be something like this:
750 points to go to next level.  50 points a mission, that only 15 missions.  however, at level 1, that is over 100 missions just to go up one level, and will still be over 100 missions just to gain a single level until you are getting at least 8 points a missions (being maybe level 3) but once you get high enough, your ability to do missions will (almost literally) explode, while someone new will be stuck for at least a week in  level 10 and less, higher up people will be making new levels something like 6 levels every 24 hours.  see the problem?

so first thing I want to suggest: a fixed maximum of points for next level, and a semi fixed points given for a mission, I suggest something like this:

1000 points per level
10 points per mission max
points you receive are like this: (E being encryption level, and M being your current max encryption level)
(E/M)*10
this will mean if you do a level 10 mission, and that's the highest, you get all 10 points (or whatever) but the second you go further down, you will always get less points accordingly, like this: (assuming your max level is 10)
do a level 10 mission:
10/10 = 1, 1*10 = 10
do a level 5 mission:
5/10 = .5, .5*10 = 5
do a level 1 mission:
1/10 = .1, .1*10 = 1

going with same example, but say instead your max is now 20:
do a level 10 mission:
10/20 = .5, .5*10 = 5
do a level 5 mission:
5/20 = .4, .4*10 = 4
do a level 1 mission:
1/20 = .05, .05*10 = 0.5 (or rounded, 1 point, or a minumum of 1 point)

this way at any point in time, it will always take a minimum of 100 missions, but may be more depending on how high a level you do.  I feel 100 missions is somewhat fair, as that is just a little over 1 day's worth of turns.  this way new people will still have the disadvantage of being new, but at the same time not having that gap increase even more.

now, the variable may vary, you may want 50 point maximum for 1 mission, and you need only 500 points, but still, I believe this will be MUCH better then the way it is now.

and Thedarkness, the advantage of it over the old is probably not apparent quite yet...  especially this starting when a level 1 mission isn't all that much to us anymore.  just imagine doing those missions straight from the begginning, and it isn't -to- bad.  This is also more then likely a launching point for items, planets, starbases, and probably a plethora of other upgrades.  the advantage of gold will still be, 20% off resupply, and cloning ships (in my opinion the 2 biggest wortwhile advantages)

I would suggest no one leave until a new round starts, then try it from there.  and people, if you really want it to be from a new round, the minimum level for starting DDay IS 35 mil...  have your new round in 2 days, lol.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 02:49:50 PM »

Commanders, please bear with the new system for a couple of days to see how it goes, the system preceedes the salvage operations and intem finding, that can not happen if you do not move and search for them...

If you are not happy with the system in a couple of days, I will make the alternative available again, for those who want to make missions the old fasioned way, however the good stuff, items and salvage will happen in the standings missions, as they require more skill and time.

Ars, E=encryption of mission you do, you get E+5 per successful mission

God Speed commanders!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 02:59:35 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

TheDarkness
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 03:11:46 PM »

With this new system i found one mission on a planet which i did with ease, i mean come on i could have sent in a flyswatter to complete it lol, but then had no more in that quadrant so had to make a jump to the next quad which surprising enough i didnt have enough turns to complete, i dont see how this system is going to be any better unless you donate and lets face it with an average age of 15-20 not everyone will have a credit card to donate for turns, you might have well knocked out the donate for creds and everything else coz they are really obsolete now, only thing you can donate for is turns and it's going to cost way too much unless you are increasing the turns from 1 per minute to 2, 3, 4, or even 5 turns per minute?? The big donater last term will prob have the best chance coz you know thats whats going to win this round, fair play doesnt seem to come into it anymore, this new system has taken away a massive amount from the top ten, and i'm not even in the top twenty so its not sour grapes...

In the end what you decide is what you decide, it is your game after all, but even this council idea seems to have its problems when council members state that if anyone gets too big they will wipe them out or words to that effect... This really should have been done at the beginning of a round even with my lowly position this has hurt immensly, But it's great that updates are being made, just timing was off by about 4 weeks lol, anyway as much as i love the game and want to give this system a chance its cost too much today already, and everybody is feeling it, theres only one i can see who is all yayyyyyyyyyyyy for the updates and strangely enough was also the biggest donater last round lol sods law to everyone else i guess....

Hope this can be sorted and working fine for other players and new players that come after, peace to all, see you in another lifetime 1 Oh and before anyone starts with the noob comments, yes i know my grammar is poor but i'm good looking whats your problem lol
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2006, 03:21:20 PM »

lol, ya, you said at 50 points a mission, it would take 15 missions, that 750 points, and at 6 points a mission (level 1 +5) thats like 125 missions.  at level 2, it's 7 points a mission, and at 100 missions, you still have 50 points to go.  lol

actually, I was posting to suggest another idea had, if neither works out, which might work even better then any of these:

the great thing about the old system was that it always grew in reward and danger to your power, something this new system is lacking considerably right now (until you start getting to the higher level missions, of course)  so instead of having the encryption level determine how high a reward it is for, make it where the encryption level is how high a % mission you can do.  with the low % missions having just credits workers and segments, and having the high % missions with the items and planets and so forth.  this will work much better as well because:
say you start getting planets at level 500.  at level 500 the fleet power is say 10 trillion.
however, some players are going to get into quadrillions, meaning they could do those missions all they want, and never worry about losing.
by turning it back to % (or even just partly) you always be facing something at the least challenging to your fleets, no matter how high.

anyway, that's my second solution, should the new system continue to not work.  anyway, I agree sir E, as I was saying to, let's try it out first, at the very least until we have a chance to try it out the way it was meant to be (from a new round) because until then you can't -really- tell how good or bad it really is.

oh, and something else in case none of you got it:
check the whereabouts of missions from the mission contract screen, navigate there from that screen, then do the mission.  I have a lot less reward ya, but so far to do a single mission I've spent at max 10 turns, which is still less then the 15 turns per mission it was.  once the rewards go up though, I'm sure that will be no problem.

again, people are more willing to quit first, rather then give an idea, and see how it works.  at least I'M TRYING. what if at level 2 it goes to 50 mil a mission? then level 3 it goes to 100 mil? at that rate, level 5 and I'm right back to where Iw as before, and that shouldn't take more then a week, tops.  so as sir emi said, GIVE IT A CHANCE.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

TheDarkness
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 03:37:12 PM »

No fear in giving it a try, i'm saying that in principal the old system worked well and people young and old no matter who they say they are dont like change that costs them ( weird huh ) this should have been done at the beggining not part way through a round to cause some of the turmoil it has caused now, looking at it as it is theres not much reward in anything, people are saying they are quitting left right and centre all because of this and if i read it right an interest related topic, the interest dont worry me, it never has but this has handed big donations the game every round..

Ok ok big donations win no matter how the updates go, i'm willing to give it a chance but lets face it my opinion dont count, money does!!! I am clueless i admit this but in case i missed it can someone please give me a noobs idea of the advantage of this new system over the other, i build ships that can take on higher missions than their power, so please tell me where my advantage is now???
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2006, 03:48:52 PM »

ya, I take back what I said.  sir E, you said enough for 1 missions per 2 stars, right?  and average of 10 turns a mission?  well, I got that at the beginning, but once I started doing them a bit more... I am now averagin about 1-2 missions a QUADRANT, meaning my average has jumped from 10 to probably 50-60 a mission.  totally not cool.

It might work better if people were more spread out and active, but it seems to me every time I do a mission, that's one less to do in a LARGE area.  I would say have each mission respawn within a 1-4 quadrant radius, that would keep all the missions from bunching up in one corner of the galaxy, at least.

also, another thing you might want to REEEEAAAAALLLLY consider is an option to sort the missions not by encryption (by the way, I see level 2 even though at level 1, and it is very disturbing, imagine having to wade through 1k+ missions all to high for you) but also by how far they are, as that will help TREMENDOUSLY.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 04:02:24 PM by ars68 » Report to moderator   Logged

PierLuc
Private First Class

the canadian weapon !

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2006, 04:58:19 PM »

galaxy contracts help small people like me....but mothership contracts are come back (since 1 minute lol)

proud to be french !
tro fier d'etre francais !!

go edmonton go !
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: