Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 17, 2024, 11:13:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sonic Unleashed  (Read 6712 times)
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »

What do you guys think of the new Sonic game?

Basic Review:
I personally love it. Amazing graphics, the hedgehog engine does all it promised and more by far. It's controls are very intuitive, so it doesn't feel ackward, always a plus, the storyline is brilliant, the hub worlds are interesting and feel full of life, the leveling system is easy to use and adds more preference to gamestyle play choices and allows for the game to become mroe difficult as you progress, while making it possible to to easily S rank the stages as you level. and Kudos to whichever Sonic Team employee came up with the idea to have the "extras" missions be Sonics never ending love of chilidogs, loved that shout out to old Sonic.

In Depth:
The werehog levels, once you get farther along, aren't really half bad. Excluding a few irritating camera angles, they become quite enjoyable after the first two or three of them, despite their 20+minute average length. Bosses are interesting enough, enemies are well placed, and there is plenty to explore. The music for these levels definitely fit, each reflecting a bit of the area around as well as what is going on in the level at that time. You do have to wonder about those stretchy arms though, great idea just...how do you come up with the idea for a werehog with strechy arms?

The daytime Sonic levels, now those, are amazing all around. Colorful, fast, addicting, postcard landscape. It feels a lot like playing the older sonic games with updated graphics and new elements of play. These levels alone are worth buying the game. Having different locations all over the world, it is very easy to imagine Sonic racing through the US, or Italy, jumping across rooftops, dashing through alleys, and the breathtaking visuals only enhance this effect. Though I have to wonder, where do all these rails Sonic uses come from? Does tails set them up for him so he can traverse the world easily? The daytime bosses are interesting and fun as well, requiring both timing and strategy to beat. I have to say though, the music for the daytime levels is unbelievable, they fit each level perfect, are upbeat and keep the feel of speed throughout the entire level. As for Sonic's new theme, I have to say, I believe it's his best yet, it feels like Sonic.

And as for the hub worlds, I have no idea why so many people complain about them, I think it's awesome that you need to go around talking to people in order to find stuff out, feels more realistic to me, plus you can see your effect on the people of the world. And the whole dark spirit mini quests many people are complaining about are actually brilliant. Especially with how you free the people from them, considering the old saying they ahve with the device. The Enterance Stages are great as well, a mix of the hub world as well as the levels. And don't get me started on the helarious character that is Wentos.

Counter:
I mean, if you want straight up old school Sonic, go play Sonic 1 or 2, because with 3d gameplay, Sonic HAS to evolve. And yes, Sonic the Hedgehog for the 360 WAS pitiful with it's errors, dropped content, ackward beastality story, and the amigos, and we won't even touch on Sonic Heroes. Sonic Adventure 2 (and SA2 battle) wasn't too bad, and Sonic Unleashed is easily better than that, coming close to being as good as Sonic Adventure, the only good sonic 3d game (excluding sonic 3d) before Unleashed came out. People, especially the main stream reviewers, are putting it down because the werehog idea is too foreign and the hub world is super actiony. New Mario is nothing like Old Mario, and i know people who say the New Mario is horrible as well.

Conclusion:
Overall, I'd give Sonic Unleashed an S rank, as it only has a few errors, mostly to do with camera angle, and the odd framerate drop if you're camera goes right into a tree, which, then you don't NEED a high framerate anyways. The experience is very enjoyable, and the amount of gameplay is easily 20+ without 100% the game (all S ranks, all medals, all sidemissions complete, all achievements, ect)

Breakdown:
Graphics: 10-Flawless
Gameplay: 9-Minor camera being at weird angles issue in Werehog levels, but not too horrible
Music: 10-Fits all levels perfectly
Storyline: 10-Creative and interesting
Controls: 10-Very intuitive, easy and quick to learn
Length: 10-main story is 20+ hours without 100% game
Voice Acting: 10-Voices aren't horrible, fit each character well
Overall: 10-Perfect
Report to moderator   Logged

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 02:29:27 AM »

Wow, you sure give out a lot of tens. One question though. How exactly does "Voices aren't horrible, fit each character well" translate into a ten for Voices Acting?

Oh, and I do object to this statement:

Sonic HAS to evolve.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 01:52:14 AM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 01:00:38 AM »

Wow, you sure give out a lot of tens. One question though. How exactly does "Voices aren't horrible, fit each character well" translate into a ten for Voices Acting?

Oh, and I do object to this statement:

Sonic HAS to evolve.

let me rephrase then, has to evolve to stay OFF pure xboxlive arcade like all those OTHER sidescrolling games. No one would buy a full disc sonic game like it was before, because it=NOT acceptable in todays world. Thus Sonic must evolve to stay on discs and retail shelves.

and voices aren't horrible means they aren't annoying, synch well, and fit each characters personality. thus a 10, i jsut said it in a lot shorter way, lol.

and i gave out a lot of 10s because it's good. Fallout 3 and Gears of war 2 got all 10s.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 02:51:18 AM »

and voices aren't horrible means they aren't annoying, synch well, and fit each characters personality. thus a 10, i jsut said it in a lot shorter way, lol.

and i gave out a lot of 10s because it's good. Fallout 3 and Gears of war 2 got all 10s.

Generally, a ten out of ten indicates that it is the best possible, period. The way you describe it makes it seem decent, not perfect.

You can use whatever scale you like, but using a ten to represent "good" is somewhat confusing, as the majority of raters use ten to mean "absolutely perfect."

Oh, and Fallout 3 and Gears of War 2 both have about a nine average on Metacritic.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:19:06 AM »

and metacritic rate the new sonic as crap,as well as many other good games.

and i'm saying that the sonic voices ARE the best possible in this game, there are no errors, i jsut worded it funny after rereading it.

all the critics though have given the game crap scores, while everyone who played it is saying it's at least an 8, a 7 if you can't stand those werehog levels and hub worlds.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 01:39:20 AM »

and metacritic rate the new sonic as crap,as well as many other good games.

No, Metacritic shows Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood at a 73, significantly above average. Users rated it at an 8.0 out of ten, not that different.

all the critics though have given the game crap scores,

Really? Which critics are you looking at? The worst rating I've seen worth paying attention to was from GameSpot, which still rated it "fair" at 6.5. There are many reviews at 80% and above.

and i'm saying that the sonic voices ARE the best possible in this game, there are no errors, i jsut worded it funny after rereading it.

If you believe that it warrants a perfect score, then go right ahead. Though, you might want to make your warrants more explicit.

while everyone who played it is saying it's at least an 8, a 7 if you can't stand those werehog levels and hub worlds.

"Everyone" might be a hyperbole.

Genotype
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 03:18:22 AM »

You guys love arguing don't you?  laugh
zephyrblade
Sergeant First Class

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 07:15:48 AM »

You guys love arguing don't you?  laugh

fo⋅rum
   /ˈfɔrəm, ˈfoʊrəm/ [fawr-uhm, fohr-uhm]
1.    the marketplace or public square of an ancient Roman city, the center of judicial and business affairs and a place of assembly for the people.
2.    a court or tribunal: the forum of public opinion.
3.    an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

4.    the Forum, the forum in the ancient city of Rome.

----

ar⋅gu⋅ment
   /ˈɑrgyəmənt/ [ahr-gyuh-muhnt]
–noun
1.    an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.
2.    a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
3.    a process of reasoning;
series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.
4.    a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.
5.    an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.

It's one of the biggest reasons why people love forums (online and offline), I think. 13
I think arguments make for good reading too, when they're done by two intelligent people who aren't trying to brain each other... Or spout profanities, lol.

Python.
LOLSNAKESINMAHCONSOLE
Genotype
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 07:25:47 AM »

hehe,
I don't mind them arguing! Just made an observation  19

Can you pass the popcorn please zephyrblade? 17
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 10:47:34 PM »

No, Metacritic shows Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood at a 73, significantly above average. Users rated it at an 8.0 out of ten, not that different.

Wrong game. the new sonic is unleashed, Sonic Chronicles came out in september, while Unleashed was in November.

Dark Chronicles has good ratings, while Unleashed the highest review score i've seen was a 4.5 at IGN (US ratings mind you, in Aus it seems to be rated higher, not sure why).

The reviewers basically had a field day that the game was anything more than just sonic running around aimlessly. It's funny how Sonic Adventure was the best 3d sonic game, and many things in the gameplay are similar (SA had hub worlds too, or have people forgotten?) with Unleashed yet critics (and about 1/5 the sonic fandom) are calling unleashed the worst sonic ever. provided you leave out the day parts and good graphics and look at all the tiny errors that all games have.

and keep it down in the peanut gallery, we're trying to have a civilized discussion that may change the course of history as we know it.

Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »

jeez you people.. i havent played the sonic game but personally i dont think i sonic game can get a 10 out of 10 but i have played fallout 3 and i would give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.. it was exactly like oblivion exactly... which was a bit annoying, and this whole auto aim mode thing it had i hated

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 04:03:19 AM »

Oh, well, oops. Things make a little more sense now.

Still, I would not encourage letting stigma affect ideally objective reviews.

It's funny how Sonic Adventure was the best 3d sonic game...

My personal favorite was the aptly named Sonic 3D Blast.

it was exactly like oblivion exactly...

Many would disagree with you.

and this whole auto aim mode thing it had i hated

Hmm, a good number of people liked it. The numbers would probably be especially high among people who liked Fallout 1 and Fallout 2.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:16:58 AM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 04:56:29 PM »

meh i was excited about fallout 3 but it just reminded me too much of oblivion.. was an upset in my mind

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 07:11:35 AM »

it would only remind you of oblivion if you didn't emmerse yourself into the storyline.

and you didn't need to use VATS.

and chronos, while sonic 3d blast was 3d, it's not considered "true 3d", as the camera remained in one position still. Though, it was a d**n good game.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 03:49:15 AM »

Meh, 3D, Isometric 2.5D, what's the difference?

And ya, it was awesome, although I have only played the Genesis version.

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: