Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 08, 2024, 09:40:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mission Creater Thread  (Read 33759 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2008, 11:28:13 PM »

i still rather not make so many extra steps, emi said hes looking into it, its like i have 2 paths at the start left, and right... neaither cross, but there is an option (if you fail) to get sucked to the right path and get forced to take it instead of going the left path... the paths DO cross but not untill step 15 (way after the steps i want to go backwards on, thus no loop)

Hmmm, sorry Lamma I've considered jumping back 1 or more steps but decided that the risk is too great that a mission step could become an endless loop of rewards, and decided not to allow jumping back. You will have to jump forward and maybe branch the mission a bit into two separate branches like you suggested...
Report to moderator   Logged

Pirates
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2008, 01:42:14 AM »

While I won't point any fingers, I must say a lot of the missions are just pure junk.
Clearly a lot of people are just trying to create a lot of steps for the rewards and
do not put any effort into it.

And even some of the ones that the author has put effort into creating a good story line
are so poorly designed that no one is ever going to fly them after getting ripped off for a
lot of turns for no reward and ending up at double fail/ mission ended screens a few times.

You should never have any mission where it is even possible to end up at a double fail screen.
If it were up to me, 50% of the current missions would be scrapped. I think staff needs to
be a lot more picky about what missions get accepted. There should be higher standards for
story lines and engineering.

Again, I would urge a user rating system of one to five stars and any misison that doesn't
earn at least three within a 30 day test period should be scrapped. Or we are just going to
end up wit  hundreds a bunk missions and the entire project will be denigrated to pointlessness.
This is a high quality game and deserves high quality components.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:57:50 AM by Pirates » Report to moderator   Logged
Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2008, 02:21:25 AM »

*googly eyes* no exception for me?

well then can you make it so that you can re-arange the steps you already have, im sure if i twiked that around it would also solve the problem (i think :S) ..oh wait uhm... no that wouldnt work step 3 (result of step one) is kinda a main fork, that would do no good in the end all thats after it has to be after it :S

there would be no loop common im putting effort into this makeing hidden "gold mines" if your lucky/find them and makeing an intresting funny story line, spent over 5 hours on it already and its up to 19 steps.

Prophet 01
Private

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2008, 05:34:50 AM »

I agree with pirates 100%

We MUST have a way of tracking the popularity of the missions.  Some are a waste of turns, others have ridiculous rewards.  Either put a rating system at the end of the mission or start a thread in the forum for each mission for players to leave their comments.  (As long as there are no spoilers)

I agree that it would be much easier to build a loop fuction into the missions but I agree with e that it WOULD be exploited.  I wanted to make something similar and a loop would have made it much easier, instead I used notepad and copy&pasted everything.  Takes a little longer.

There also seems to be a problem with the rep modifier.  Suddenly I have a bounty out on my for 50 Trillion Creds!
I agree that some mission choices will give neg rep but I think something is outta whack.  can we have posted in the mission HOW MUCH rep we gain or lose?  Right now it says either Gain positive rep or your underworld rep has increased (I assume is neg rep)  Can we have a numerical value for that?

Besides these suggestions the missions are great. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:40:27 AM by Prophet 01 » Report to moderator   Logged
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2008, 10:39:02 AM »

i agree with a feedback/rating system. keeps missions good and allows designers to figure out where they went wrong. i know its asking a lot, but if there was an option to show multiple steps at the same time in the mission editor and an option to update all fields (vs just one at a time) then it would become MUCH easier/less time consuming to create good missions. on a side note, it also lets people see their entire (or at least a segment) of their plot-line without having to jump forward and back.

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Pirates
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2008, 11:16:02 AM »

>>Pirates stops reading the forums and starts hunting for Prophet<<   19

Yeah, Emi posted a couple days ago saying the neg rep was now a percentage of the missions. This was intended to give more weight to the negative consequences of making dishonorable choices. Just needs a bit more fine tuning maybe.

Handing the rating using forum threads has too many drawbacks: Not all users read the forums.
There are already dozens and soon will be hundreds of missions. Which means staff
would have to read them all and then make value judgments about whether the
consensus was positive or negative, which would take a lot of time. With the star
rating system in game, it could all be handled in code automatically. After 30 days,
any mission that dropped below three stars would be marked inactive. The code
could even append a publicly readable log file that tracked dumped missions.

And it could lead to hurt feelings. A numerical value is just a fact. Nothing personal.
Comments like "This mission sucks." or "Whoever made this is retarded." is too personal. On the other hand, constructive criticism might help the author address the shortcomings and revamp the mission and resubmit it. So forum threads might be useful as helpful feedback, but not as the criteria for dropping.

Perhaps it might even be possible that when a mission was dropped, the author got an in game message.

Of course, a lot of the problems could be avoided in the first place if the mission test links were available to all users and authors could post the links and request reviews, criticisms and suggestions before submitting them. Perhaps a mission authors only forum thread where we could post the test links and review each others missions without the entire community seeing them, or the catty remarks about them. And maybe that is the place to use the rating system. A mission has to get ten, three star or higher ratings by the writers group before it even gets reviewed by staff. And a Send Author Message link at the end so the reviewers could let the author know why they gave the rating they did, pro or con, and offer suggestions for improvement.

Someone suggested earlier that the author's name be shown. That also might motivate people to put more effort into making something they can be proud of.

But the first line of defense is just the staff being more selective about what gets approved and what gets sent back to the shop for improvements. Maybe a new name tag to go with WIP and FIN - NMW (needs more work) so authors know it has been
reviewed and is not up to snuff. And I think that already accepted missions should be able to be resubmitted for review and in game up date, just by changing the ADDED to WIP. So we can be self improving when we see problems with our own added missions.

Sorry to rattle on, but the mission creator is now my favorite part of the game and has brought the fun back to exploring the galaxy in game. I just want it and the missions produced to be as good as they can be.

Addendum: [In reply to Silence's post, so Slither [sic] doesn't need to flame me for double posting  laugh ]
There already is a link that shows all the steps. Would be groovy (that dates me eh? lol) if they were inputs and there was an Update All button on that page.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:22:03 AM by Pirates » Report to moderator   Logged
Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »

if you place the rateing scale you cant place a name pirates, just think about that. your in a war game you idiot  wow

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2008, 02:57:56 PM »

A rating system from 1 to 10 with 3 questions about reward, turn cost and storyline after the mission has ended will be implemented.
That way we will be able to track mission popularity and disable / modify the missions that do not meed the average criteria of 5...

waylain16
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2008, 03:27:16 PM »

A rating system from 1 to 10 with 3 questions about reward, turn cost and storyline after the mission has ended will be implemented.
That way we will be able to track mission popularity and disable / modify the missions that do not meed the average criteria of 5...
That soundes great. Good work everyone

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2008, 04:40:40 PM »

idk emi... upon second thought, i don't think that the rating system should be open to everyone. i think maybe a panel of 3-10 impartial judges should be created otherwise it is possible for commanders to track down and vote up their own while neging others'. also, i SERIOUSLY DOUBT that players will grade missions that give too much reward harshly. and ya, in reply to pirates' addendum to my prior post, thats exactly what i'm talking about. personally, i hate having to do one field at a time and when i'm at my mom's my comp isn't fast enough to load new steps in a decent amount of time.

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Pirates
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2008, 04:48:33 PM »

Now be nice Lamma. No picking on the retarded kids.

It would be easy enough to make it so you can not vote on your own missions.
And I hate to think anyone would be petty enough to mark down other people's missions out of spite.
blakranger51
Sergeant First Class

Blood Upon the Risers

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2008, 09:36:57 PM »

For the "Just Another Nebula..."

You may want to reword your ending:

Sir... we've beaten them and are asked to stay.
Sir... we've lost and have been asked to leave.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that's in it.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men.
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2008, 11:37:08 AM »

lol just another neb has like 4 different big reward endings. u just got to get to em. wining the tournament = like a 300% reward + tourney stuff... there is also a way to get a planet.

-Silence444-
Pirates
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2008, 08:39:51 PM »

I've tried JAN four or five times now and never got more than three steps in.
Sorry, better things to spend turns on than missions with a very low chance of success.
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2008, 05:12:30 PM »

lol ok here's a hint, first, talk to wep officer, then head to nebula, then attack/follow them.

-Silence444-
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: