Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 16, 2024, 03:05:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SOWARS - Counter Attacks  (Read 3690 times)
Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »

I left AI and started a new alliance, The IC - I did this to try and improve the PvP environment on SOWARS - particularly in the top 20 rankings.

After some experimenting and dueling - Ive discovered that the game mechanics are at odds with the stated purpose of the SOWARS server. 

Theres certainly some things that could be done to improve things, and those Ive posted on another topic "PvP incentives"

##################################################################################################

However, there is a mechanic at the moment that completely destroys the competitive nature of the PvP environment, and no reasonable or viable PvP can be pursued while it exists.

##################################################################################################

The number one problem currently with Pvp is the Counter Attack system. 

When attacking an opponent, you get one shot - if they warp - you fail, so management of fleetpower is critical - it can be very difficult to land a successful attack, some players will need to reduce fleetpower considerably to even have a remote chance of landing an attack.

On the other hand - a Counter Attack requires nothing except turns and a large budget.

It doesnt matter how many times your target warps - you can keep chasing and attacking.  Your chance of success is only dependent on your budget and turns available - if you can afford 20 billion attack swarmers in fleets 1 through 10 - then you just chase your opponent until your 5% comes up - then you win. 

Im not sure theres any point to PvP while the counter system remains as it is - and if theres no point in PvP - then theres no point playing this server or game at all.

The solutions I can think of are;

1. Put Counters on the same footing as attacks.  One attempt, if your opponent warps - you fail.

2. Have a limited number of attempts for a counter - say 5 for example, if your target warps 5 times - then your counter is expended.

3. Change the maximum warp percentage to 99% or even 100% - this will force the Counter Attacking player to consider fleetpower.

I prefer option 1 - why should a Counter Attack be stronger than an attack?  It already ignores base bonuses - thats strong enough.
Report to moderator   Logged
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »

If you manage to find the same player more then once on a day you can hit him several times.

You could make it your motership will be capable of making 1 direct warp to the enemy. If the enemy fails he cant chase him anymore. But if he happens to find the person after he warps he still got the other bonusses from the counter (aka no station support and that your enemy doesnt get a counter on you).

basill
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:48:29 AM »

I don't mind the 5 or so times limit but a single chance would kinda be bad for anyone in the top 20 because lower guys hit you and kill your pships/swarmers or whatever you are defending with and then you lose several thousand k segs and you have to reserve dam near all your ships just to try and get them back and they will warp on you.
Amagnon
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:43:09 AM »

Basil

Your rankings position is a choice, if someone ranked much lower than you lands successful attacks on you, then you really need to consider if your able to defend the rankings position you have chosen. 

Almost anyone can raise enough fleetpower to get to #1 spot - the trick is, can you defend that position?

Chrys
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 02:52:39 AM »

I kinda agree with amagnon on this.

I for myself dun really bother about rankings in the Wars server, however, the counter system in place is abit overpowered as it is.
Using up a counter weather successful or not is a good idea. This also gives players the need to hunt their prey if they missed their counter attacks.

Quote of the day "I have sucessfully countered a lot of people before, espically dday. it didn't show up on the news because i had 0 ships when they atatcked me and they had 0 ships when i attacked them back." Ninjastrike40
basill
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 01:29:06 AM »

And almost anyone can kami your lead fleets and be a lot lower than you.
zelox
Private

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »

I don't agree with placing a limit on waprs in counter attacks.  Some people have rudiculasly high warp values, I know that if I have a total power of 400 bil and Chrys has a total power of 900 bil he has an 83% chance of warping, and I have spent a decent amount upgrading my destabilizers.  I used 6k turns using a counter on agmemnon, with an 82% chance of warp with equal fleets; he warped 27 times before I cought him.  If I want to spend 6k turns chasing him down it's only fair.  I do agree on one thing though, there should be a 100% chance of warping so that you can't have a rudiculus fleet power to attack.  Remember, counters are in responce to people attacking you first.  I also do far more attacking then being attacked so counters are used on me more often (when I can catch anyone anyway) lol.  I don't know about anyone else but If I run across someone half to twice my strength I'll attack them.  My attacking fleet is also my defending fleet and I have confidence in it, even against more powerfull people.  Also, when I used 6k turns chasing agamemnon with an equal power fleet I could have gotten twice the segs doing missions with that many turns, and got 10-20k mining turn items as well thats a level or 2 in mothership mods.  It cost me far more to chase him, but revenge was worth it.  thats my opinion anyway.  If you want to limit warps to 5 or 1 or something, make the warp stabilizers and disruptors warp bonuses not count for counters, that way you can have a decent chance of revenge on someone no matter how much they have put into stabilisers and it's more a factor of fleet design and tactics.
jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 08:54:33 PM »

yea. the way amagnon wants it means that you basically wouldn't have gotten to counter. u would have warped him 4 times and that would have been it

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »

The real problem lies with the inability to attack people ... Unlimited counters can be factored in, inability to attack is retarded.

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
Amagnon
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 03:58:48 AM »

The real problem lies with the inability to attack people ... Unlimited counters can be factored in, inability to attack is retarded.

I want to frame this - this is a hall of fame comment.

Tz calling himself retarded - its just too good to be true.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:05:05 AM by Amagnon » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: