Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 11, 2024, 01:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: donation vs non donation  (Read 5262 times)
outbound
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »

Im just wondering if its possible for someone who cant donate, for whatever reason to be able to compete effectivly in this game against the people who quite clearly can.

Atm it just seems like daily attacks from the latter take there toll to the extent where it seems pointless to try move up the ranks, where as when the rolls are reversed even when the attacks/counters are successful it makes very little difference as they can just buy their way back up the ranks
Report to moderator   Logged
blakranger51
Sergeant First Class

Blood Upon the Risers

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »

Yes it is harder to do well without donations, but it is possible to do well. Two rounds ago I finished 9th and my only donation has been for a gold account.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that's in it.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men.
outbound
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 02:13:22 PM »

ty for the quick reply  1, I guess ill just keep battling away and hope a bit of experience pays off  12
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 03:15:34 PM »

if you look in the halls of glory you will see my name there 2 times and I did not even have a gold account at that time.  The gold account is a great thing but you do not need it in order to compete effectively.  However, you will find that most of the top 10 have sprung for a gold account or have won a gold account and that is mostly the only donation most of the top 100 or so players make or were gifted with.  You will however find many of the top 100 without even that much. I have also known players that have donated hundreds of $$s and still not managed a top 100 finish.  You will find that this game involves some semblance of skill to be effective. you ship designs and what CPs you use how you use all the avalible methods to grow will be your effectiveness. if this is your 1st round use it as a learning round.  but next round you will know what is and is not effective, also this game is constatly evolving so your ability to evolve with it will be your desiding factor. Those of us that have been here for a very long time have fought long and hard to ensure that the donation is not the desiding factor in this game. but a donation should have some kind of ingame reward but not enough to upset the game balance. taht is unless you have money like bill gates and can afford to just outrigth buy the whole thing. however with out some kind of skills that would still be very difficult.  Also use the votes you will also get random rewards for voteing aside from the listed bonus. you dont get them all the time but tehy are given to random players that do vote usually only a few cps or some thing like that, but it all helps. also teh votes help to pay for the game itself and advratize the game.

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »

Most players do have a gold account but not everyone 1

basill
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 03:37:03 AM »

you can be effective without donations as for the attacks thats gonna keep happening alot till you manage to break away a little bit after you do that the attacks will slow down somewhat also if you are new its a real good ideal to join a training alliance to help you out at the start so you don't waste alot of time/resourses on stuff that won't help you
Spayed
First Sergeant

hey hey hey :D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 04:20:34 AM »

i have onli ever donated for a gold account and im always up in the rankings when i play, its easy enuff 2 stay up there wif out donating u just need 2 know what ur doing

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 05:02:03 AM »

yeah ive seen alot of people do good without donating or without gold.. just learn how to play the game and keep at it

outbound
Unidentified Commander

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 11:29:42 AM »

its definatly good to hear that the game isnt he who donates most wins (not that I have anything against donating the game has to make money, Im just glad its not the deciding factor). Ill do as you say Gunfighter Frank and use this round as a learning round and hope to fair a bit better next round.

thx a lot for the info guys, its appreciated ... I am now convinced that the game isnt just a money sink 1

p.s if top 100 is doing ok i might have been misjudging how badly I was doing  13
basill
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 03:44:45 AM »

well there are over 50k commanders and while some are unplayed anymore the top 100 aint bad
Argus
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:46:25 AM »

Donation can get you into the top 20, and skill may even keep you there...
But there is no way you can buy yourself into the top 10, unless you dont mind making emi rich enough to buy microsoft. Currently my lead costs in the hundreds of trillions, and donation rewards is in the billions.
To match my current power you would have to donate tens of thousands of dollars.
And frankly, if you want to win bad enough to do that, you should spend half that money on a shrink before you do anything else.
deezee66
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »

good point 15
BadGuy
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »

Donations don't make you successful in the game unless you're going to throw hundreds of dollars in the game.

This is a game that requires A LOT OF TIME and SKILL if you want to do well.

If your only purpose is to battle and have fun, then donate. That's what I did in my first round. Never did any missions, only donated to battle and had lots of fun doing that.  Coincidentally ended up in top 100, as towards end of round $5 buys a lot of creds, but not enough to get you top 50.

Also, keep in mind that battling can get expensive, even if you win, so you may have to decide what is important to you, rank or battling.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:36:16 PM by BadGuy » Report to moderator   Logged
lostedchylde
Staff Sergeant

Beware this heart of gold, This heart is cold

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 02:59:34 AM »

i do have a gold account - but i have never donated and well you can see where myself and my alliance have managed to finish the past few rounds.

spider2

Lostedchylde is Loveless Incarnate.
deezee66
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »

i do have a gold account - but i have never donated and well you can see where myself and my alliance have managed to finish the past few rounds.

spider2

same here although i havent finshed as well as losted i still finished top 40 the last two rounds not bad for someone who works 50 to 60 hours a week in the real world
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: