Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 07, 2024, 10:32:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Attacks that give no counter  (Read 4283 times)
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »

I think something should be done about the lack of counters from  attacks that though classed as unsuccessful, still lose the defender a significant amount of credits.
Take this for example...

Assault result

mannaman15(#2251)'s 12.210.000 marines where killed in the battle.

Zatakkree(#111562)'s 7.326.000 marines where killed in the battle.

You boarded Zatakkree(#111562)'s fleet and mothership.
You destroyed Zatakkree(#111562)'s 0 ships and lost 0/3 ships.

Primary Objective: Destroy 10% of the enemy while losing less percent of the armada than the enemy.
Your attack failed and achieved nothing.

You inflicted insufficient damage on Zatakkree(#111562).

No power was lost but the marine loss was significant (at this power), but I get no counter for this attack. Someone can multi attack and gradually kill off all the marines and empty mothership credit supplies for no risk!!
As a result, someone else then comes in and captures the ship!

Manaman attacked 5 times in total, but I only got 1 counter... the other attacks killed off the dummies and powerships(and yes I had not been awake enough to have calculated the power cover correctly)

I havent any issues with Wes attacking, its just the virtual 'no risk' the attacker gains... and thats doesnt even go near scouting, which is another issue.
Report to moderator   Logged
Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »

the mystery is solved. Saturn is zatakkree.

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:44 PM »

Well I've never attempted to disquise that fact... thought it was pretty obvious when he was leader of Nemesis for a round shifty
V
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 07:59:58 PM »

VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villian by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished...
Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »

OOOOH...  I didn't know that haha.  And I agree sat, I think that those attacks should give counters if there is enough damage.

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
Anathema
Private

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »

I think there are enough counters in this game as it is.  Personally, I'd like to see them go away completely.  In any other game, when someone attacks, you're welcome to attack back, but you don't get advantages simply for being a victim.  That being the case in this game, fine.  The game is what it is.  I won't whine about it.  But, let's look at this in detail:

The offensive player who multiple attacks your ships to kill off your marines and empty your mothership vault is losing marines and credits, too..not to mention the turns they're wasting doing it this way.

Also keep in mind that the game provides a structure within which to play.  Using this structure well is what makes a good player.  The first person to come up with the idea of a p-ship had a huge advantage over other players.  They had found a way to help protect their expensive ships with cheap, disposable ships that, when killed, put them into a nebula.  They've been used for many rounds now.  You failed to use them properly (by your own admission), yet you want the person who capitalized on your mistake to be punished for it.

The game also gives you the option to have more marines on your ships, either by having marine bays, or by adding to your commander's Special Board Fleets skill.  The more marines and shields you have on your ship, the less you'll lose when someone tries to board you.  This translates into not only less of a loss for you, but the attacker has to spend more to kill or take your ship.  Make it too expensive for him and you'll prevent the attacks entirely.

All that aside, simply keep more credits on hand to replenish your marines.  How many times do you think someone is going to waste turns hitting you over and over for no gain and large losses?  Especially at this point in the round.

Oh no!  I lost a few marines because they did their duty and DEFENDED MY SHIP.  Please - someone give me a free shot at the player who exploited my mistakes, worked within the structure of the game, and used strategy to play a strategy game!  Better yet, take away his ability to hide in a nebula while I hide in mine.  That way I can use an alt to take out all his protection, then come back to my main account to zero him with my counter.  Oh, I know!  Let me power up with 10 million kamikazi's and nuke him from any power level I want, because his neb doesn't protect him anymore, so I really need to have the attack limits removed as well to take full advantage of his audacity for actually allowing my marines to try to defend my ships after leaving myself wide open.

Get real.
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:41:48 PM »

Ok lets start with Nebs.... This wasn't an issue, I couldn't care less about not getting a neb, nor any losses.
The area of concern I raised is that this game provides the defender with a counter attacking opportunity after suffering casualties in an attack.  For the defender to lose marines is a loss, and constitutes as an attack. If someone in real life shoots a few people, the attacker should expect some form of counter measure's to be made against him/her. He/she can't argue that it was only a few so that doesn't count!!
Marine loss can be more expensive than the loss of ships, but that doesn't get included in the loss calculations

What you must remember is, counters were introduced to give some form of defence for lower powered players, otherwise the rich, experienced or big donators will just obliterate any new players trying to learn.  My points raised here are not really just for my benefit.... take this hyperthetical example in regard to your opposition to counters....

Player A Donates $100 gets a good supply of credits cp's etc, then start to attack and zero lower level players (player B, C & D).
Player A then sells or reserved all his ships. Players B,C & D with your prefered game option have no counter attack and have nothing to stage a regular attack back at player A.  Players B,C & D  rebuild and buy some more ships after a day or 2. Player A then does the same again.  After a few days of this, Players B,C & D will think about quiting the game. At least with a counter/Co-ops they can have a chance of getting something back. 
This game is different in that you can hide you ships, that makes counters necessary. If you had all your ships always out, regaular attacks will be easier and therefore counters wouldn't be needed.

I hope you realise that I'm not 'whining' as you put it, and powerships even if correctly calculated can still be bypassed by board attacks if you know how.

Your comment... 'All that aside, simply keep more credits on hand to replenish your marines.  How many times do you think someone is going to waste turns hitting you over and over for no gain and large losses?  Especially at this point in the round.'

I know all about credits/marines etc, as for the 'how many times is someone going to waste turns hitting you'... just take a look at planet attacks, people will waste many hundreds of turns to take out a planet, so why not ships if they have to.  A successful board attack that results in a ship being captured gives the defender no compensation what so ever.

Marine bays are not really worth bothering about on mains, just make sure you have the ships well marined, and that generally keeps them safe... provided you put the right number of powers out oops

I think this must be the longest post I've done in this game.... fingers need a rest now sleep
Anathema
Private

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:01:08 PM »

laugh Sorry for the sore fingers. 

The issue I was trying to address is that although marines are expensive, they don't constitute a "material" loss, and therefore are purposefully left out of emi's calculations in regard to counter-attacks.  Monetary loss does not justify the huge advantage a counter-attack gives you in the game using the current rules set.

I figure marines are part of maintenance/upkeep.  If you have to resupply them like you would soldiers dying or getting sick on a battlefield, well that's just part of the cost of being at war.  And that's what this game is supposed to be about; not building stations, planets, or ships while collecting credits.  It's supposed to be a universe torn apart by war and every man/alliance for themselves.

Now to be truly long-winded:

Now, let's consider your example that you put out and the reasons things happen the way they do.  Player A donates and zeros the other players before reserving ships.  So, I agree that if players b, c, and d wait, then finally get some new ships out and ignore player a, then what will happen will be exactly what you just posted.  However, if they wait until player a is losing turns because he's afraid to bring his ships back out, then eventually he'll have to do something or spend the rest of the round hiding.  When he brings his ships out, they have a target to hit back on.  The game currently gives huge advantages to counter-attacks, but then take them away after 24 hours.  24 hours is a small price to pay for the protection of reserving your fleets.  The problem is that counters are too powerful.  The cost of defending against them is too small.  If you increase the cost of defense (you don't gain turns while reserved, or you don't gain planet/station credits), then you end up stopping all PvP.  However, if you take away counter-attacks, or reduce the advantage they give, then you've made the attacker much less likely to reserve his fleets in fear of the counter in the first place.  This encourages attacks AND attacking back as both sides have a chance of doing damage without either side having a definite overkill button.

Nebs, counter-attacks, and ship-reserving  are what remove true PvP from this game.  When people stop attacking people because there are very restrictive limits on who can attack who with what, they can't hit anything meaningful because of p-ship overuse, and when they finally do some damage, they have to hide everything and stop playing for the next 24 hours because you just gave the player you hit a free pass to do their best with absolutely no restrictions, then you end up with a game that becomes more comparable to farmville than space combat.

If adding in nebs, attack power limiters, counter-attacks, and ship reserving, actually helped bring people to the game and keep them here, I'd be all for it.  But it doesn't.  That's why there's been no significant growth in this game in quite some time.  The fun has been taken away to protect new players, but since the new players are still being hit and there's nothing fun for them to aspire to, what's in it for them to figure things out?  Worse, since the fun is gone, the old players are leaving too.  Protecting the weak does not a good strategy game make.  It simply makes for a dull game that's not worth spending months figuring out the finer points in order to become more competitive.  This could be partially alleviated if you left it as it is on SO Main and actually did something with WARS.  Turn wars into the persistent world it claims to be, but make it just like main.  Add more alliance-based combat options, remove all attack restrictions, nebs, and fleet reserving, and turn the players loose who've spent the time to learn to fight.  Now new players aren't being hurt and experienced players can truly test themselves against each other and other alliances.

Completely off-topic now, if I were the one designing the attack options in this game, I'd make ships have cumulative damage that needed to be repaired, and make them harder to actually destroy, then implement it in the WARS scenario above.  The end result would be a more realistic space war game along the lines of Evony.  Alliances could work together to attack - or defend - players.  Multiple attacks would be needed to inflict severe damage, but ships could be taken.  Stations, mines and planets could also be taken.  Everything would be out in the open and you'd have to scout someone to know what they had, with chances of inaccurate scouting reports or your intended target being reinforced by his alliance.  Now THAT would be a game I would pay to play.
Saturn 7
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:19:29 PM »

Well one idea which would support your's of the multi attacking to weaken a target is to have cumalitive damage to shields.  Each attacks takes away some of the shields power for maybe 24 or even a smaller 2 hours, in which it gradually increases to its original value. maybe 1% repair rate per cycle(1 hour).
As far as the material loss, wouldn't you say loss of life to be more damaging to a civilisation that material?   A civilisation would be more likely to retaliate because of this.
I actually think that Emi should make 1 substancial change per round... each round slightly different, this will make it more challenging to even experienced players, who cant just follow that same proceedures they normally do.
Next round.. no planets, round after no counters, round after no nebs and so on.
Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:41 PM »

When I started reading this topic, I thought most of Anathema's ideas were dumb.  Howevre, I actually completely agree with the fact that the WARS server, really doesnt have much war...  When I started this game I started on the WARS server because I really like Pvp... . Then after a bit I realized that there is more PvP in Main.

I think that most of what Anathema said about the WARS server is extremely reasonable and would make the game fun.  I mean, for heavens sake, its the WARS server, not the I'm gonna attack this guy once so that he won't be able to catch up to me then just keep gaining power faster than him server.  I think the entire WARS server should be redone so that the focus is ENTIRELY about PvP.  I like what he suggested with making ships tougher to kill but allowing multiple attacks to stack and eventually destroy them, that makes it seem much more realistic and it would make PvP more enjoyable.

I also think that on both servers, PvP should be made into a way that you can gain money and power.  How it is now, it's hardly worth it to PvP, because the rewards are too small, even if successful.  This needs to be changed in order to see more players engage in PvP.

As for some of the stuff that was argued earlier, I still agree with Sat.  Just a week or so ago, Ravermon boarded me 12(?) times while I was offline, forcing me to spend 30b resupplying marines for a 12b ship, which was of coarse taken anyway.  So I definitely think this should go towards a nebula, or counter attack, although I think a nebula would be more reasonable.  The entire point of the nebula is to prevent players from losing too much of what they have in a short period.  And I think me losing 30b in cash(twice as much as the ship actually cost that I was marining) is most definitely enough loss for me to get a nebula and prevent having any more money taken from me in such a short time.

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
Anathema
Private

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »

Both excellent ideas, Saturn.  I would also agree about the nebula idea, Grondavor.  If a counter wasn't involved, I could follow the logic that leads from loss of marine life to nebula.
Grondavor
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:00:45 PM »

Saturn, I like what you are saying about deteriorating shields, but it seems to me that it might lead to somebody attacking you normally multiple times to get your shields down far enough to the point where they can just kill you.  And I think it might cause people to stop using shields altogether and just put a ton of hp on their ships instead, because they dont want to risk having people gang up on them and taking their ships out easily by getting their shields down.

Grondavor(#119869)- Main
grondavor(#9218)- Wars
Grondavor(#4032)- PvE
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: