Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 05, 2024, 09:47:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Another go at planets :)  (Read 15622 times)
AFB
Sergeant First Class

AntiChrist at your service.

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:01:02 AM »

I know there were a lot of suggestions about planets, and some of them I took/modified/stole 16 And unfortunately I could not make this shorter.
First of all, here are suggestions what the planets may be used for:

1)A planet is like a station- provides protection for the owner via the use of ground to orbit guns. But unlike a station, a planet may have production factories (examples later) and will have much more HP, I dunno, A couple of hundred trillion.

2) A planet is a renewable source of materials,with ability to build extraction factories, Which will make it more than a landmark, but a strategic point, worth something even for the top-end guys (and invaluable on the SO Wars when resources run out  16)

3) Production- a planet can produce credits by mining, growing food, or building troops for assaults on other planets or for protection and creating marines.Production per 10 minutes. (not really money, but still)

4) A planet may be shared between a few people- useful for alliances. But sharing with your alt will still be illegal.

5) A planet may be used as a marketplace- but unlike CHOAM, here people will be able to sell directly to each other, without auctions and waiting.
That is it for the overview, now for the Mechanics bit.

Tech. Overview
1) When creating a planet, the owner can select the strategic outlay from a list (example shown below). It will have a number of strategic territories, which will have a certain number of build areas, which is where you can build structures. Also- areas will differ on: the terrain, build areas, type of resources. E.G. Yellow sector on the map- Desert terrain, +10% bonus to planetary mechanical units power (used for assault/defence), type of resource- gold, stone . Build areas- 15. And to contrast- Brown Sector- Mountainous terrain,+10% to infantry power, build sectors- 6, type of resource- Iron, Metals, Stone. Blue sector (It also supposed to say Ocean on it, but got smudged by myspace)- ocean terrain, only mechanical units can be used, only certain structures can be constructed, e.g. naval defence turrets, or ground-orbit missile silos on the sea floor and drilling stations. resources- carbon. Well you get the point.

2)When clicking on a certain strategic territory, it brings up the info on that territory as well as a command panel, where you can build structures and assign units.

3)All structures have to be researched to be built. Examples of structures:
Barracks: allows infantry basing in sector. 50 million units per barracks, increases with research level.
Mechanical depot: Allows basing of mechanical units. 5 per depot, increases with research level.
Cloning facility: allows for atonomous production of infantry. Requires money to build. +25 million infantry per 10 minutes, increases with research. (money can be taken away from planet's production- owner assigns how much cash from production will be used)
Factory- produces mechanical units, 25 units per 10 minutes.
Orbital defence gun: Can fire at incoming ships. 10 billion attack power with 30% acc per gun Damage  upgradeable, build scanners to increase acc for all guns in sector(+ 10% per scanner. And I mean 30+10, not 10% of 30)
Shield: Sectors with shields do not allow enemy to land units from space here. You can initially build 3 shields, with research that can go up to 7.

Ok, now the last bit- assault/defence mechanics.

1) To make it fair, the enemy cannot use ships to bring in marines, until all guns are destroyed on surface. This is because: when ships enter the atmosphere, they must devert all power from shields and structual integrity in order to slow down and not hit ground full speed. This will mean even the most powerful ships will be vulnerable. ( U know how it works, bigger the ship, the heavier it is, thus more force need to be applied to keep it in air).But he/she can bring units into the system using ships and drop them using drop pods(research) 1 marine will be 0.1 space, 1 mech- 1000 space.Pods are 100 000 in space,and increase with research. The enemy selects a sector to invade, and selects the number of marines to drop and hits attack. To drop in Mechanicals, U first: need to have a planet where they can be built or build the mothership module. Then you either select for these units to be taken from a pool of available units (this will not include units assigned to areas(marines+mechs) or ships(marines) but from idle), or select to build them(I dunno what the cost for mechs will be, depends on their stats which I have not thought of yet). If you select to build mechs you must spend 20 turns per 10 mechs, no penalty for marines. The battle follows(marine items apply only for orbital drops, and increase marines power only during battle). If the attacker wins, he/she gets controll of the sector and will be able to build structures. During battle, also taken into consideration: terrain, defence structures:anti-infantry/mech turrets. Attacker can also select attack type: regular- your units will concentrate on attacking enemy units or raze- your units will concentrate on attacking structures. There will also be 3 ways to attack-orbit drop and ground assault and coordinated assault.In ground assault, you select units just like in orbital, but the pool of units will only encompass those on surface. To make things more interesting, whenever possible, Coordinated assault may be used(ground + orbital). Here the attacker units gain +5% to power.

2)When the owner selects strategic overlay, he also selects sector for headquarters. Until they are taken/destroyed, he can give orders to sectors, and remains planet owner. If the attacker destroys the HQ, the defender will be unable to give orders to his units, or fund the production factories.This way, the attacker wins, and is now planet owner. He can mop up the resistance afterwards. The sector where the attacker first landed automatically becomes his HQ.

NOTE!!! Since there are many sectors, there can be more than one attacker. Either the defendant kicks their collective butts, either it will be king of the hill, with the last standing man the winner. But it can also result in a planet being split between 2 or more players. In that case, if they both have orbital weapons, they will both receive bonuses in Sol. System.

OK, that is my suggestion. I tried not to over-complicate, so I'm asking: is this possible? And the figures listed are off the top of my head, I did not balance them.

OK, That will be it,Cheers, AFB  12
Report to moderator   Logged

signature not found! Where is it?! Where?!?!?!

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:46:15 AM »

i only read the first bit and it sounds good. planets have already been brought up and i think we need to get emi to agree to use them before we make more ideas about them wow

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
AFB
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »

Yeah, sorry I made it so long, I just included the mechanics of planet combat I thought looked cool 13

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:13:44 AM »

they do
im just lazt  16

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 12:31:34 PM »

This looks promising, I'll check it out later, keep it coming  wow

khalil
Private

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »

the ieda seems good but we have to include this also in SO WARS 16
AFB
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:38:54 PM »

If it doesn't come out in SO Wars, I'll shoot myself  laugh

In any case, the lads and I will keep on brainstorming  1 Will add new stuff tomorrow.

the broken
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »

if it goes on wars where will the planets come from, do the appear as systems run out of ore or just suddenly appear?

AFB
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »

I was thinking that players will create them. Some 5 million stone per planet will do  laugh

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »

lol
thats way too much
that would be like all turns for a week plus good mining items
wouldn't be worth it. not for the top players who need to keep their workers growing

AFB
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 03:06:31 PM »

laugh Another dilemma...
Meh, I was only kidding. 5 million is too much. Oh, here's a thought...

How about this: planets can be created with the Molecular Fusion Arrestor (tm), which is an item that is an EXTRA-RARE class, almost epic, if You will. It can be found in missions, but once again, VERY RARELY.
Actually, instead of a mission, lets make it a whole encounter by itself. And the fleets will equal the FP of the player, to make it fair on the lower people, but still hard to get.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:09:17 PM by AFB » Report to moderator   Logged

Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 05:11:19 PM »

nice, i also had a rather extensive list (http://forum.spaceo.net/index.php/topic,3283.15.html) but i think that these are good ideas and personally i'm looking forward to planets regardless of what direction emi takes them.

just a quick question though, it was said earlier in this topic that ship borne marines couldn't make it down to the planet until after all guns were silenced. well, correct me if i'm wrong but a lot of players mother ships are larger then planets and even a few of the combat ships are approaching similar sizes. so with this in mind, how will planets maintain their orbits? also i think, if your willing to suffer increased/insane casualties you could pull a battlestar galactica (come screaming into the atmo, dump troops and warp out before impact).

alright all, that's my 5 cents

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
the broken
Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 05:22:30 PM »

i dont think 5 mill stone is to bad and what if you can litterally build 'death star' type ships able o take out whole planets that cost something like 100 trill. also another thing if you get lvl 20 cloaking why cant you cloak a planet, but more than 1 lanet can be built in a system so they end up like solar systems, and someone said it on a previous post about bases, the first planet is the best, better growth/production rates etc and planet 9 or 10 are really bad so they end up like pluto (which was declassified im sure someone will say but this is an example) which is basically dead and would therefore mean no body would want it. This would increase compitition over planet 1 -4 or 5 as these would be the best, then you could include natural disasters, metor storms and even space debris coming from pace from battles so they would interact with planets, segs have to go some where.

moons could have defenses on them to protect planets and allainces could work to take control over planets

just some quick thoughts, made them up as im writin  g them

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 05:24:07 PM »

like u said, silence, i dont care what direction they are taken in, but i hope they are 'taken.'

but afb, if an encounter of something like that gave in turn a planet, then that would be very unbalanced. it should a research after construction efficiency, then the guns and stuff should be after warp bubble. to build it, maybe make it cost 10X more than a space station

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 05:25:33 PM »

if planets are as powerful as previously stated, there should be a limit, 1 per person.
it would take entire alliances to take quadrants/solar systems

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: