Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 10, 2024, 03:56:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: (Ab)use of alts  (Read 11072 times)
bigbroni
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 03:17:18 AM »

concerning the not more than 1 account per computer. - Well thats a nice idea, but when school starts again we ll have prolly a lot of kids playing from thier schools network - and than the complaning will start.

concerning spamming the news box - well atm its easy to spam the newsbox, since not many ppl are doing the galaxy and there is not so much PvP going on. - Even without using a alt it is easy to "spam" the news box, thats no argument for me at all.

for the galaxy its much more problematic that we now have some ppl just powering up with p-ships into top ten, there being unable to do something (due to power-balance for missions etc) but ruining the galaxy for other ppl since encounters are calculated on top players power ... - thats even more bad for the game than using a alt for scouting.

w/r bb

edit: - well if really needed delate all alts or not but just give a clear guide-line whats legal and what isn t :-)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 03:19:09 AM by bigbroni » Report to moderator   Logged
Demitrious Ducas
Lance Corporal

I can't say anything making this image any better!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 04:22:02 AM »

I wasn't concerned with spamming the news box... I was using an example of how the news box gets spammed, when someone scouts the galaxy with an alt for the best encounters, then does them all in a row with their main using the fewest possible travel turns to do it. I also don't care if they do them all in a row or if they sit and wait until something else hits the news, to try and spread out how their aduse looks, it is all the same, they are using a flaw in the system to gain greater power for their main, those with the alts and the time to invest in this effort will be the ones who likely have a better chance of winning in the end (in the case of blackhole hunters, they will have expended 10,000's of more turns and gained large^x amounts of experiance and command points, more than those that can't use this method of gaming)
Report to moderator   Logged
charmuska
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 05:43:15 AM »

Even if we were to eliminate alts, how would we do the elimination?  My main account is originally an alt, and my favorite alt is probably my lowest-power account.

Alts are very useful for being able to test strategies and ideas without completely screwing over your main account; a way to explore an attacking strategy without making everyone hate your main account; a way to provide guidance to others via alliances; a way to play the game more if you enjoy it enough.

Alts are bad because you could conceivably pick on someone with an alt, and have no counters on your main account (note: this would require a very active alt to begin with, and those whom this hurts would likely be hurt by other players anyway).  Alts are bad because you can scout the galaxy with them, saving your main account precious turns (which can be done with friends anyway).

Alts are, overall, good.

I think that the idea of having only 1 account able to be signed in at a time would help to improve the issue at hand (galaxy scouting).  The other issue is not as much of an issue, as you are playing the account as a completely separate entity.  I don't mind when one of my accounts gets hit by Skum Bag, or any other alt.  The alt is being played as a separate player would play it.
CTPEJIOK
Lance Corporal

Don't make me boring

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 06:56:23 AM »

hm... If this is  so serious then it could be set that when you create a character you must check box "alt" and this character will receive 1 turn for 15 minutes.

Sorry for bad English.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 07:27:17 AM »

Alts are no problem, the issue can be fixed rather simple by taking away the alt's job...

The new missions coming in will depend on the encryption level, the transmission can only be seen by a commander with high enough encryption level, so if encounters show or not depending on their power versus your power, e.g. for every 1 mil power you have, you can spot up to 10 mil encouters, the problem should be solved...

God Speed!

P.S.: Encounters are generated taking refference to 1-50 top players, 50-200, and >200, so if they spawn, those 3 will spawn, generating encounters on every level, high, medium, low in equal parts.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 07:34:00 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 01:28:06 PM »

That will work even better E.  I knew you would come up with a solution if we presented the problem

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Demitrious Ducas
Lance Corporal

I can't say anything making this image any better!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 04:46:01 PM »

This sounds like it will work great! I still think you should consider the all alts = gold status option just for the game support  diablo
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2006, 03:34:32 PM »

Frankily, I don't think this will solve the majority of the problems alts cause. Sure it solves on of the bigger ones, but it still doesn't solve most of the problems alts cause. This is a good start, but something else has to be done to make alts less of an advantage.

bigbroni
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 07:09:23 AM »

yep finaly a real good solution - so alts being scout have no use anymore ... - I ll like that !!!

w/r bb
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 08:36:22 PM »

or just make encounters more frequent... that way you don't HAVE to scout all over the galaxy.  o rset up a system that will tell you where the nearest encounter is.  I mean, unless you set the encounters to encryption levels to...  the problem is really still there.  you just cover it up with an update, not fixed.

I hate to be sounding so negative to sir E, but this IS the absolute truth.  this update has really done NOTHING, nothing whatsoever, about scouting for encounters.  a simple change here and there, and yes, it would csolve it, but as it stands now, still not fixed.

Sir E, please don't be thinking yourself it has been fixed now, because the scout problem really hasn't.
and another thing...  there is nothing more annoying then to still be level 1, and yet have to skip a page because everytime I go to missions the first 4-5 right now are all level 2, even though I can't do them.  in fact, I wasted some turns today going to a level 2, and didn't even realize until to late it was level 2.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Lightseeker_Eu
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2006, 03:53:21 AM »

I don't like the idea of having no choice but to make alts in order to keep up with the others using them as scouts for galaxy, it's wrong.
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2006, 04:52:29 AM »

well E that has not fixed the problem they still use scouts to search the galaxy.

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
Soppe
Sergeant

Cheesy poops YEAH

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »

how have the new missions fixed anything?? i could still see all the encounters while being in lvl 1 =S all that has been done is to add more encounters where alts doesnt help, but that doesnt change anything when speaking of the original encounters   14

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill
Hellsword
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2006, 11:53:16 AM »

and originaly encounters are still a heck of a lot better then galaxy missions...

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." -Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.
Soppe
Sergeant

Cheesy poops YEAH

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »

at least for now. noone knows how itll be like when u get like lvl 50 in galaxy missions =P should take a month or so =)

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: