Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 10, 2024, 05:30:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mission Grinding - SO WARS  (Read 10421 times)
Amagnon
Sergeant

Poh and Pik - Karaoke Girls

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »

Mission grinding is a fairly boring part of the game, but its fairly crucial to keep up seg's.  Personally I hate it - Id rather PvP but its hard to find targets.

My suggestion is to reduce the number of missions available, increase the turns cost to do a mission, and also increase the number of segs reward.

At the moment, you can grind out missions for hours a day - those people with a lot of time have quite an advantage over people who cant commit the time, and the people with the time - would probably rather be doing something else.

Id suggest something like this;

Turns required - 100
Segments reward - 5,000
Other rewards - increase by 5 to 10 times.

Thats basically cuts down a huge amount of time in grinding missions - while keeping the balance between turns and segments the same. 

A spin off bonus is that this also makes it cheaper (turns wise)to navigate to a higher level mission - rather than grinding the one star down to level 1 missions just to get the segs.
Report to moderator   Logged
AFB
Sergeant First Class

AntiChrist at your service.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 02:58:40 PM »

100 turns is a little harsh, but I agree, it's way too repetitive. Around 50 turns should do.

signature not found! Where is it?! Where?!?!?!

djjcuk
Sergeant

tho' I seek perfection, I wear my scars with pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 02:59:34 PM »

I like it the way it is  16

The enlightened man would offer a weary traveller shelter for the night and share a quiet conversation over a bowl of... coco-puffs...

Commander and chat mod djjcuk(#43519), Ultimate Weapon

"Why do hot dogs come in packages of 10, but hot dog buns come in packages of 8?" - Bulletproof Monk
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:27:28 PM »

10 turns with 500 segs reward would be a blessing trust me doing 100 missions is burnign fast then, only it wouldnt be fair for those who have a low encrypt lvl now as they will never get it up enough.

al3xazz
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 04:06:42 PM »

i think it should be 15 turns/500seg mission to compensate for not having to jump so many times to reach mission

Amagnon
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 04:06:59 PM »

I didnt post it earlier - but yeah, I meant the change to improve the rate your encryption level increased as well.

For me any increase is good, suggestions are;

10 Turns, 500 Segs
50 Turns, 2,500 segs
100 Turns, 5,000 segs

It would actually open the game up for a lot more people as well - Im sure theres a lot of people who started and then realised how time demanding the mission grind was and just quit - without grinding missions, you cant be competitive.

If you could effectively PvP for segs it wouldnt be so bad - but its hard to find a target, then all I get is "warps away" ... and even when you hit someone, you dont really get a huge amount of segs, I think the best Ive got was about 12,000.

They could remove the "destroy's xxx segments" and just have the attacker pick those up as well - its expensive to PvP, but not much reward for doing it apart from bragging rights ><
FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 04:40:22 PM »

I got 89.0000 segs as max for 1 attack.

Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

Less grinding is good idea, a very good idea.

50 Turns for 2,500 Segs is my preference.

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 09:21:01 PM »

This is probably the most top priority idea ive seen and i would like to see this implemented soon

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 01:00:08 AM »

personally my vote is for a sliding scale maybe related to encryption level? this way lower level players can get theirs up faster but will still be hard pressed to catch up (thus keeping things fair) and it would allow larger players to grow faster and the more growth their is, the more potential targets for pvp there are.

*note* this also makes it harder to get better items because the higher encrypts would take more turns (so it balances player item gains)

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
Amagnon
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 04:52:24 AM »

Yeah - I was thinking about this overnight and Silence' suggestion on the sliding scale - though i think maybe my sliding scale is the reverse of his suggestion - I didnt quite get what he meant.

Anyhow, here's the idea.

Players can only see missions between their encryption level, and 50 levels below it.  For example, if your encryption is 200, you can see missions from 150 to 200 - this is an example, you could make it 100 levels below etc.

A sliding scale for turns cost is introduced to missions, segment rewards is the same regardless of the mission level.

Example;

Missions 1 to 100      - turns cost = 5, Segs reward = 500
Missions 101 to 200   - turns cost =10, Segs reward = 500
Missions 201+           - turns cost = 25, Segs reward = 500

- again this is an example, you could space it out more if desired

This means starting players can actually earn more segs, but they have to do more work grinding to get them.  Higher end players have less grinding to do.  The starting players move up more quickly in segs - and the top end players who are probably getting bored of grinding, now have the grinding cut back.

This will tend to make the game more competitive, less repetitive and I for one would say that I would welcome the increase in turns at higher levels, I know its a slow down - but it would feel like a reward 16 - means less grinding.

It is also intuitive - higher missions take longer to complete.

This would effect each player differently depending on their current situation - so there would sure to be a fair amount of communication and feedback required to put a change like this through on the live server - however, I think it could be done.

Maybe some top end players might see it as a threat or a loss of their work - but they should consider that if they have already ground up the segs - then they will have an ongoing edge, as others will be restricted in making the gains they have - newer players should welcome the change as it gives them a better chance to catch up - mid range players are largely un-effected (except for the reduction in grinding required - which has to be considered a plus).
Silence444
Staff Sergeant

Ignorance is bliss where tis folly to be wise...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 06:15:06 PM »

right, i agree. thats kinda what i ment to say but i only had about a min to type it up, and looking back now my previous post makes little sense.

"As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." (Benjamin Franklin)
-Silence444-
TheMerchant
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 05:53:47 AM »

i agree too, this would open up several other doors in the game. especially since this is a war sever and so far its just an arms race with an ocassionaly attack from lower players with creds

WARS Account= Overmind
thezerg
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 07:01:03 PM »

I think that just a button that allowed you to do 20 more so missions at a time would be suffienient. Any sort of power curving to slow growth at higher levels isnt really neccary. When you grow linearly, the differences arent going to matter mcu

a helpful website for noobs ~ http://cotaspaceo.17.forumer.com/
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 01:02:35 AM »

i dont like it at all... just gives people with a high encrypt a big advantage.. and you couldnt put a limit on how many missions you could do a  day... just grind it out more... or maybe go 5 turns for 150 segs.. dont need a huge increse... i have over 300k segs almost all from pvp

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: