Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 10, 2024, 04:51:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Retro Suggestion  (Read 11292 times)
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2006, 12:06:40 PM »

As we all know, the game has changed a lot since it was created. It has a different look, it plays differently, and overall, despite all those little and big abboying kinks, is a great game. But every good game (and game company) understands one thing: Nothing beats the challenges of the classic games. So here is my idea.

A *new* game, kind of like the test server, but have the game like it was back in round three, when it had alliances and secret base but no galaxy, market, or any of that new stuff. Basically, bring back the classic SO to be playable by all. I don't think it would be that hard to do, especially if you still have some sort of back-up data for the set up, but even if you don't, from my limited understanding it shouldn't require too much more then removing the updates from the code.

I know I would enjoy being able to play SO back when it was more PvP, slow style based, back when missing a week-month wasn't so hurtful to your account, back when it was about strategy, not who has the most time online to plow through missions, because missions only helped you out a little, instead of a lot (I believe we had missions is round 3, if not, then no missions, it was still fun without them.). Back when you couldn't donate for turns, segments, or commander points (which wouldn't exist if you did this), only credits or upgrade to gold. In my opinion, back when SO was one of the most fun games out there. Sure, we didn't have over 30k people, but we had more ACTIVE people. The game was a challenge, because it required you to plan ahead, strategize, work with your alliance more, you HAD to fight others in order to win, there was no getting around it. Back when not having a credit card didn't mean you had no chance of taking the top then unless you were a god commander like Lightseeker.

I'm sure many people are going to say this is a bad idea. That's fine, I get you have your opinion, and you are entitled to that. I'm not saying replace the SO we have now, not at all. I'm saying make another one, a classic SO, that way people may choose to play one or the other, or even both.

I am going to keep track of who is for and who is against this idea, merely so it is easy to tell if we want it or not for Sir Emi.

For
-------------------
1.Seither
2.Ars68
3.Randalthor
4.TheDarkness
5.Chicpea
6.TheMerchant
7.Silverthorne
8.Bigbroni
9.FTP
10.Gunfighter Frank

Don't Care
-------------------
1.Lammalord

Against
-------------------
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 12:03:30 PM by Monkey D. Luffy » Report to moderator   Logged

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 01:02:11 PM »

hmmm... I believe the main problem you mean is that you can just donate to easily to win... and a 2nd non donator server would help a great deal, keep the donators and non donators seperated. 

and as far as making it more PvP, E could probably make the version it is now like that, all he would have to do is make hitting other people actually worth something, like disabling all segment missions, and putting in some all important segment building. (I didn't say disable extend mothership on purpose, yes, you have to have SOME way of getting more segments) oh, and get rid of the 1/3-2/3 segments just destroyed.  you would have to capture all segments taken, otherwise, the top people will slowly run out of segments, and just stay at the same amount as when they just started.

I do believe, that answers both your problems, without simply having to go 'back to the retro version' doesn't it?
Report to moderator   Logged

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 02:01:53 PM »

No, I'm not suggesting changing anything, I'm suggesting having two versions of the game, the current one and a "classic" one. I'm only giving reasons why I think it's a good idea to try and get people to agree. Frankily, I think having two different versions, an old style and the current one would rock.

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 02:28:06 PM »

ya, that would be pretty cool...

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 06:48:32 PM »

i wouldnt mind this, i probaly wouldnt play on the server or anything, but i dont have anything against it...

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 06:52:06 PM »

I'll take that as a for vote then, since you don't mind it.

*17 posts*

Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 07:01:34 PM »

can there be a "dont care section"

why are you conting post now?

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 07:10:01 PM »

A)because I'm almost to 2.5k posts

and

B) Ok, I'll add don't care.

*14 posts*

Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 07:11:07 PM »

ya im happy now lol

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:40 AM »

good, now try to get others to this thread, we need to give it lots of attention.

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 08:07:57 AM »

Well, if I were to do this, it would be a SO tournament server, where you would need a ticket to get in. The ticket could be purchased or earned (something would have to replace the donations). Then, everybody will start equal, in a PVP intensive round, with no missions, encounters or galaxy, just combat, and maybe at the end of the PVP tournament, there will be a prize for the top 10...

But I'm afraid we don't have enough players to sustain such a tournament yet... but it's a good idea.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 08:10:02 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 08:10:42 AM »

Works for me. I wasn't saying get rid of donations, just put them back to just credits, but this idea sounds good, limits who all can get in. Now, the question is.....can I have a permanant pass since I came up with the original idea? Lol, worth a shot, but your idea modification sounds great.

randalthor
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 07:27:58 PM »

put me on the agreed list monkey

wow, you're really fat.
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 03:28:48 AM »

ars brought up an interesting point on IM earlier. Sir Emi, if you limit who can get in, it's not fair to others who can't pay or earn a ticket. Unless you make it where the ticket cost credits instead of real money, many players will be unable to get in. That kinda of defeats the purpose of what I was suggesting. I say for this old style version, you just edit donations so they are for credits only, meaning you can't donate for turns or segments, but you CAN donate, and will recieve credits for that donation, like back in the old days.

TheDarkness
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 08:58:24 AM »

I came into this game when donations were readily available, but i would try this, so put me down as a for 1
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: