Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 05, 2024, 08:10:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: UI & SpaceO  (Read 13799 times)
qe2eqe
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2008, 01:06:05 PM »

First off, I'm in a bind, because I want to write a Greasemonkey plugin to tweak SpaceO into having keyboard shortcuts - e.g., M for galaxy map, R for ranking, enter for 'navigate here', and also a key to refresh without popping the question, 'do you want to resend?'.** However, I'm having issues getting greasemonkey to work on epiphany, and firefox is just too d**n slow. Here's a quick breakdown for browsers for SpaceO:
Epiphany: Lightning fast, and beautiful
Opera: Lightning fast, but not so beautiful (and also rendering errors), and it's user scripting bit (greasemonkey-like) is exclusive to Opera, meaning if you write a plugin for opera, it's stuck in opera, and opera's proprietary software ==> evil.
Seamonkey: This is the old mozilla suite. Based on netscape, it's a touch faster than firefox, and I think it's compatable with alot of Firefox plugins.
Firefox: Slow, even on an empty profile (some of you might be interested in adding --profile-manager to the launch command). If you want to see an example of what Greasemonkey can do for a plain UI, look no further than the following links (in order, the actual Greasemonkey plugin and the Advanced Google Keys script for that)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
[url]http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/5711[url]
Internet Explorer: Maybe an older version might be fast - - I haven't actually tried the newest version, with all the catch-up they played to firefox. IE sucks. When I see older, less computer literate people using IE, I flinch, and I let it slide if they really need the simplicity.

**Ok, this is the real reason I decided to post, I blew the browser bit out of proportion...
A very elegant way of building modules in a space station / mining station / planet is you build one module, and just refresh (=> resubmit)  untill the max is built. It cuts down the time req'd to less than a quarter of previous, and the frustration of losing a mining station by an equal amount.

--- If you found this post useful, just give me negative rep. When I derive self-esteem from forum ratings, I use absolute value functions.

--- P.s. emi, please improve the UI; use the tabindex attribute, use shortcut keys...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 08:01:40 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged
Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »

tech support on a game?

maybe there is a good reason a greasemonkey plugin wont work.. people tried it before, im pretty sure emi updated the game to stop or at least make them harder to get working...
Report to moderator   Logged

Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »

ha this made me giggle

blakranger51
Sergeant First Class

Blood Upon the Risers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:14:47 PM »

Giggle? I sh*t my pants.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that's in it.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 08:03:32 PM »

Cleaned this a bit... please be nice 1

qe2eqe
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »

...Maybe I can understand why you'd censor the pro-consumer, anti-rights-management rant...

...but the E's mom joke should stand.
lostedchylde
Staff Sergeant

Beware this heart of gold, This heart is cold

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 12:18:29 AM »

unless its part of the game everyone can use its nothing but a cheat, and e should take every measure to gum up any such trash.

Lostedchylde is Loveless Incarnate.
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 01:47:53 AM »

poop

qe2eqe
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:31:21 AM »

you're frikken retarded if you think being able to do things faster is a cheat.
[bold]retarded[/bold].
Cheat = "To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards."
Where's the rule that says 'YOU WILL CLICK AND NOT PRESS A BUTTON'???
You gonna kick Steven Hawkings out of a chess tournament because he pays someone to move pieces for him?

----- Part Two ----

[bold]RETARDED[/bold]. I couldn't help myself - tools like ^^^ are why, if I got to choose a super power, I would choose the ability to make anybody anywhere impotent as a deem fit. Sexually impotent, and socially impotent - Your ideas deserve to starve in a sock.

----- Part Three ----
The Americans With Disabilities Act, and the INTERTUBES

First, the opinion of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit in Doe v. Mutual of Omaha70 was written by the influential and respected Chief Judge Richard Posner. Second, the decision explicitly refers to cyberspace. Interpreting the meaning of "place of public accommodation" the court says: "The core meaning of this provision plainly enough, is that the owner or operator of a store, hotel, restaurant, dentist's office, travel agency, theater, Web site, or other facility (whether in physical space or in _electronic space), that is open to the public cannot exclude disabled people from entering the facility and, once in, from using the facility in the same way that the nondisabled do" (emphasis added).71
This quote is from a civil suit against AOL, and it sets a precedent that being forced to use a mouse instead of a keyboard is discrimination (you need fine motor skills to use a mouse...).
Issues included text concealed within graphics, commands that should have been executable from the keyboard but that on the AOL system required the use of the mouse, inability to identify the precise timing or location for entry of data required to carry-out various searches, and a host of related functional barriers.
....obviously, if a third party creates "accessibility software", it would be be less than "undue hardship" to allow it. Therefore, disallowing would be contrary to the ADA, which, after whatsthatname v. Southwest, has jurisdiction over teh blogtubes.

--- Part Four ---

None of this applies to SpaceO. fkn Canada.
SnipeDragon
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 11:19:35 AM »

qe2eqe, I do not believe that the General Discussion board is a rant board.  Being called retarded is usually taken as an insult by most, which isn't allowed here, as its rude and inconsiderate to the other players.  If you choose to call someone retarded again, or insult a person/group of people, I will remove for posting ability for say...a week+ depending on the offense.  Consider this your one and only warning.

-SnipeDragon
lostedchylde
Staff Sergeant

Beware this heart of gold, This heart is cold

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

using a system not available to all players giving you an unfair advantage is cheating(technicalities count). the fact you have to go to such lengths to respond to such a simple fact, well, methinks the lady doth protest waaaay too much.

and just because you think you've found a way around TOS just puts you in a long line of industrious cheat creators.

Lostedchylde is Loveless Incarnate.
qe2eqe
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 02:06:36 PM »

First off, I never said it would be exclusive - you know, it was supposed to be a pro-community thing, HENCE THE REASON I WOULD MAKE A PUBLIC POST ABOUT IT.
blakranger51
Sergeant First Class

Blood Upon the Risers

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »

If you had any brains at all, you would know that Emi lives in Romania, so this game does NOT fall under the jurisdiction of the USA. Therefore, the ADA does not apply, and your entire argument is null and void.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute with sixty seconds' worth of distance run, yours is the Earth and everything that's in it.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men.
NightShadow
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 03:37:13 PM »

OMG! Black, your rep has gone up quite exponentially, Also, I thought E lived in Canada?

stupidyankee
Lance Corporal

New York Yankees

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »

Yeah Emi's po box number is for Canada but i think blak meant his nationality is Romanian 13.

Need a starter account for SO WARS message Mobius13 13

WARS Account= Silence555

Need help getting started? join Galatic Training Squadron 1

I'll take what i can get lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: