Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 10, 2024, 01:59:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: ship classification  (Read 3070 times)
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2006, 10:49:47 PM »

ok, I know this may not actually sound like a suggestion, and to some, it probably won't even sound like one, but this is the best place to put it, so don't worry.

I was just, for the longest time now, thinking along these lines: If space odyssey were to adopt some visual way of using ships, in 2-d or 3-d, how could it be done where the designer could design the ship, AND actually have a difference between a 1 space decoy, and a 10 trillion deathstar (so they aren't the same size)  without over-doing it, and where it would be flexible enough, but simple enough, to be used from 1 space to trillions of space.

I think I finally thought of an answer, and it could probably help with other things to, so in a way, this is a suggestion to help other suggestions 1  lol

anyway, this is what I got:
you could have a grid where you design the ship X by X big (or X by X by X for 3d) where X is the number of digits the space of the ship is.  so 1-9 space is 1 by 1, 10.000-99.999 space would be 5 by 5, then anything in between 10.000.000.000 and 99.999.999.999 would be 11 by 11.

another thing where this could lead to, is just simply, as I have in the title, a better ship classification, for size, such as:
1 digit: decoy
2 digit: small fighter
3 digit: heavy fighter
4 digit: cruiser
5 digit: destroyer
6 digit: battleship
7 digit: dreadnought
8 digit: supership
9 digit: heavy supership
and so on...

now obviously nothings going to absolutely perfect, and neither does this, this is just taking into account space, making it simple, so a tinyman would be considered a decoy size ship, even though it has enough stats to be something else (and cost of something even more)

but anyway, there it is, what do you guys think? cool, eh?
Report to moderator   Logged

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 08:14:13 PM »

They could have the titles attached to power levels instead of size, maybe.

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 09:15:16 PM »

hmm... ya an official classification of ships, ya, probably have to be a joint size/power thing, more then likely something like going with the digits, it would be like however many digits the number (size+[power/400]) comes up to, but then, say it is like 700 space, and then going with 'normal' (or at least how I do it) most space would go into powercore, so say 650, going off of 1 space nets you approximately 400 energy before using extra credits, and I don't go for having to pay extra, then it would be like (700+[{280000}/400)=(700+700) or 1400, meaning even though you actually only used what you already had, (you didn't pay extra for any of the systems, like in tinyman) the ship still jumped up a class, though I suppose it wouldn't be that bad, lol.

anyway, I say it again, this would probably have no bearing on actual gameplay by itself, just as is, a way to more standardize ship classes.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:32:24 PM »

eh i dont like the fancy names lol...

i rather completly random ones, something different to much of this "cool" stuff lol

but overall its a good idea, for the ships to have titles or something... by the size so what would it say? when som1 attacks? something like Deathstar Rotten Pozzy (my biggest ship last round) and mabey have Deathstar be bolded or something along that line, or even have something simular to command ranks, with a fancy picture and a label on how big the ship is

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 10:39:43 PM »

well, in reality, that was just my example, I wouldn't really know what you would want to put up, like for you, it would probably be something like this:
class 1: pepper shaker
class 2: toaster oven
class 3: rabbit hole (hmm... a hole in space... interesting laugh)
class 4: ye olde washroom (gratz to all canadians who really get this laugh and for the really  confused better luck next time  16)

class 15: The Gravy Truck
class 16: FoodStar (from episode IV: A New Chicken)  13
class 17: ultima omelet thrower

Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 11:18:45 PM »

know thats more like it!

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: