Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 16, 2024, 06:12:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SO Main - Planet attack requirements  (Read 11051 times)
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2009, 09:36:30 AM »

SO Main:

- Planet turns attack requirements increased: 40 turns for Raid Colonists, 80 turns Raid Resources, 160 turns Conquer.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:39:41 AM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »

your putting in some dumb updates with no suggestions for them... there is tons of good suggestions out there... try some of those out instead
Report to moderator   Logged

TNTTony
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:24:56 PM »

Well here is my take on this update. This update will virtually stop anyone from conquering any "decent size and decently defended" planet. A decent planet should take more than 10 attempts. This equates to 1600 turns which is more than one days worth of turn accumulation. Raiding itself would be useless since it will also take too much turns. This means that planets are safe until the endgame when you can grind for turn items. Even then, turn items are used to search for encounters and research.

Advantages: Planets are safe. You can't have one player dominate by taking out other people's planets.

Disadvantage: Pvp is now non-existent. To me this is a major disadvantage. The main reason why I attack planets is because we have several players who constantly alt-neb or buddy neb. These players (they know who they are) hide behind neb constantly. Their ships are safe and there is no use for marines. As a pvp player and as this is a pvp game, I can not dent their economy since they are hiding behind neb. No pvp there. Atleast before the update we can TRY and dent their growth by raiding/conquering their planets.

So my solution? - If planets are virtually protected...then make neb times shorter. Make the minimum neb 3hrs and the maximum neb 16hrs. Make it so people in the same alliance can not neb each other. Make it so people with the same ip address can not neb each other.

Please do something to bring pvp back.
Cameron07
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »

he wont.. he's done everything to kill pvp

CHICKEN ON A CHAIN
Private

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »

I agree with what is being said about making planets safe from attacks as the cost is now to high. So one alternative is not to have planets play such a major role in ones economy. another is do away with planets , another is make the defenses of the stations play a greater role in the protection of the planet another is give the colonists a higher combat rating, another is allow the purchase of marines for the planets you can go as far as having special forces if you want but the turn cost has gotten out of hand . and pvp is now basically gone as long as you can buddy neb or alt neb so your ships are not at risk. this is just my opinion and doesn't carry any weight in the game. also you can just raise the turn items frequency or raise the size of items to compensate for the difference. 2 12 wounded1
TNTTony
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:56:57 PM »

This is a suggestion from snowy the street Person who sells themself for money aka fender~bender:

i don't have a forum account.

Solution is require neb to only activate if 65% or higher of the fleet power is lost,

Also, remove the option of selling ships that have been reserved ~ or reduce the amount gained from selling the ships in reserve by the cost that it would have taken to resupply the fleet.

Neb times need to be something that protects a player that has been hit hard ~ therefore 14hours first neb, if that player is unfortunate and hit again after that ~ the neb time will be reduced to 4 hours (diminishing returns) and have no 3rd neb available.

This will allow people to actually raid secret bases and do many more things essentially bringing a purpose back to pvp ~ and countering the idealism of cheap nebs for protection.

This will also be beneficial to the attacking parties involved as it's not a 1 hit 24 hour waiting period for no gain whatsoever.
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 05:39:03 AM »

The higher turn cost to planetary combat is a temporary solution.

I want to add some more things to planetary combat:

- reserve troops consisting of dedicated marines that fight along side the colonists and are more specialized counting as 1 marine = the power of 10 colonists. Marines will not produce anything but guard the place. 10 Marines will occupy 1 space from the total capacity.

- marines will also increase the chance of preventing a raid by discovering the landing party and setting up an ambush spot, thus killing a percent of the enemy marines on the fleets at a very small casualty cost to the planetary marine force.

- an option to enable the owner of a planet to authorize the use of biological and biochemical weapons in combat defending the planet with an additional bonus at a cost to the environment (planetary capacity) on each planetary combat where the weapons are used.

- special items that can be loaded on a planet:
  -> Cyborg Units, Battle Tanks, etc. Used in combat and will add a certain amount to the marine reserve units, increasing the power on the defense force. Those do not occupy capacity space, since those are mechanized units. An unlimited number can be loaded on a planet.

-> Defense Grid MK 1,2,3,etc: The defense grid will decrease the enemy combat power by X percent, up to 50% on the max item level. Only one item of this type can be installed. It does not get used after battle and will be VERY hard to find. Gets destroyed if planet is conquered.

-> Attack Grid MK 1,2,3,etc.: The attack grid will increase % of all planetary defense forces by % percent.  Only one item of this type can be installed. It does not get used after battle and will be VERY hard to find.  Gets destroyed if planet is conquered.

The-Joe
Corporal

Aliens got me!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 07:18:08 AM »

The best defense of a planet would be to shoot back. A planet should have anti ship firing capabilities. Such capabilities should be a huge investment, allowing  a planet to defend itself against attacks from orbit including scouting. This way using alts to scout a huge planet in order to obtain intel, in order to use the main account for conquering would be impossible. I would give the planet itself more firepower than a space station has, but at a higher cost. Some research used on space stations should be used both to planets  and space stations, like fighters and missiles.
So i would add to the planet some planetary cannons, fighter bay and missile bay, and use the existing military base as a marines deposit. 

Spayed
First Sergeant

hey hey hey :D

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:48 AM »

completely useless update, kills planetary pvp, now the big guys cant attack the big guys, now at the start of a round you cant remove an opponets planet if you feel its nessesary now its useless for people to invest in planetary defence because who the hell is going to waste that many turns.

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Jan`go Vhett
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:25 AM »

If you ask me replies to this don't really agree with what was said here:
http://forum.spaceo.net/index.php/topic,5329.0.html

Need an s-ship? If you have Gold just search Jangos, then select the price you want. If you don't have Gold just pm me for a design.
The-Joe
Corporal

Aliens got me!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:24:56 AM »

This round has proven that huge size players can hurt big players and small players alike with low costs and impunity. There is no PVP in using tiny or kammi worth 10 to 100 times the value of the attacked commander fleets in order to take him down, or spend 3 times the value of the whole assets of the attacked commander to take down his planet, when you get that much from one decent size GT, and you have commander bonuses the other has not. The real cost of the planets conquered is expressed in turns, not credits. So if a player spends 1600 turns to make a planet, a attacker should spend just as much, since credits are having different turns costs at different power levels. Wars should be expensive as wars are always expensive. I salute SirEmi's decision.

TNTTony
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 03:42:44 AM »

Well I personally never agreed to any changes to planet attacks.

This round has proven that huge size players can hurt big players and small players alike with low costs and impunity. There is no PVP in using tiny or kammi worth 10 to 100 times the value of the attacked commander fleets in order to take him down, or spend 3 times the value of the whole assets of the attacked commander to take down his planet, when you get that much from one decent size GT, and you have commander bonuses the other has not. The real cost of the planets conquered is expressed in turns, not credits. So if a player spends 1600 turns to make a planet, a attacker should spend just as much, since credits are having different turns costs at different power levels. Wars should be expensive as wars are always expensive. I salute SirEmi's decision.

Joe, wars in SO MAIN is always expensive and has been for a while. Its just that you don't actively participate in wars and don't understand the cost currently. This update is directly preventing ANY kind of planet attack. I know you are a pacifist in SO...but really? Seriously no planet attacks at all????

1600 turns is a low cost estimation. I've done some calculation on my planet now and it would take atleast 100K turns to conquer...and the planet only took 15% of that turn cost. Is it fair that an attacker needs 100K turns to conquer a planet that cost 15K turns???

In regards to pvp using tinies. The problem is not the ship tiny and nor is it the income from the game used to buy tinies. ITs the fact that players can power down to such a ridiculously low level and attack players using tinies much lower than them. Tinies have been used BEFORE planets were introduced. Surely you know this. It is very very expensive (and therefore impossible) to use tinies on players with similar fp to you. You should try using tinies 13

No one is arguing with you about the "one player domination" issue. Read back this thread and see for yourself. But to totally remove planet pvp is ridiculous. It seems that most people want some sort of change to the planet turns...but IMO the new turn changes is too much. Remember Joe, this will affect simmers such as yourself. If planets are impossible to take that means players like myself, fender, spayed, cammy and chicken can grow our planets really really big very early on and get a big advantage again.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 03:56:33 AM by TNTTony » Report to moderator   Logged
The-Joe
Corporal

Aliens got me!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 04:43:07 AM »

I never suggested size does not matter. I always suggested that the old power difference protection was good. However that does not apply on planets. The most usefull ideea would be a size difference penalty. So smaller planets should be significantly harder to conquer than big planets. Defensive upgrades are fine, but they are available at high power where they mean little to nothing.

Jan`go Vhett
Staff Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:22 AM »

Well I personally never agreed to any changes to planet attacks.

You never opposed it either  16

Need an s-ship? If you have Gold just search Jangos, then select the price you want. If you don't have Gold just pm me for a design.
Spayed
First Sergeant

hey hey hey :D

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »

f**k it, all this update has done is make peoples planets safe, takes the pvp out of the game totally!

its already nearly imposible to pvp because of buddy nebs and taking planets is the only way to hurt those people who buddy/alt neb. and now its just not worth it to attack...

either remove planets totally or dont restrict the attacks, go play pve if u dont wana be attacked...

everybody starts off even so they shouldnt complain if better commanders gain more power and start running the game, there is no way of cheating and bug abusers get punished, those who have more power deserve to be there and if you chose to antaganise those people you can suffer the consequinces...

and seriously why do it mid round???
when planets still mean quite alot to most people. it disadvantages those who spent 10's or thousands of turns and cp in planetary defence which is now pritty pointless because who the f**k is going to waste 3000 turns to attack a planet...

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: