Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 20, 2024, 05:43:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Save Sowars lets think up some stuff  (Read 34243 times)
jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »

power down and get good stabilizers like everyone else.

at a lower power stabilizers are more effective because of smaller differences in power. if u get good enough stabs, ppl would have to take their chances with a 80-95% of hitting u
Report to moderator   Logged

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
lostedchylde
Staff Sergeant

Beware this heart of gold, This heart is cold

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »

yeah? stabilizers are at 35 and they didn have any effect on you. even with the huge disparity in power. so im not real impressed by them.

Lostedchylde is Loveless Incarnate.
MeGuaRen
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »

No nebula; New technology called line of Sight Blocker allows you to be "nebbed" from an/the individual who has attacked you three times in the last 24 hour
New money mission. Reward is the same for everyone, but mission difficulty and power is determined by wealth
New DDay that once activated and developed will destroy half the wealth of the top twenty! Top twenty can attack anyone at this time, but using within 0-120% of the defenders power. When top twenty player gets halved he loses random 1/3 of CP and level. After DDay, half the top twenties stolen wealth is distributed evenly to all other players.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:46:24 AM by MeGuaRen » Report to moderator   Logged
captainjf
Corporal

I believe...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »

All players, or just top twenty players?

Some say the world will end in fire,
some say in ice,
but from what ive tasted of desire,
i hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
i think i know enough of hate,
to say that for destruction of ice
is also great,
and will suffice.

-Robert Frost
MeGuaRen
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 01:21:01 AM »

Top twenty is halved and 1/4 their wealth goes to everyone else besides the top twenty. (Is this the answer you were looking for?)

Maybe their wealth should be more than halved now that I think about it. Maybe they should lose 99%-99.9% of their wealth. It would be like taking 2 or three zeroes from their power.

DDays on the wars server should be almost continuous. Total Mahem!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 03:11:55 PM by MeGuaRen » Report to moderator   Logged
Tzarkoth
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 04:13:11 AM »

War server is defined by the ability to continuously grow ... So I am against any DDay mechanic being hard coded into the game.

War server will either end in a mad flurry of attacks from AI ... or a slow death through inactivity.

Only time will tell which path is chosen.

CEO of Armageddon Inc.
MeGuaRen
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »

There is still a maximum growth. No player could continuously grow. Isn't it possible to max all skills with CP? I think I would be bored if I had everything maxed and nothing to do.
I thought the wars server was about destruction and PvP and mayhem. The more PvP the better.

If there were a DDay type device (which does not end the game but takes wealth out of circulation and balances the game by distriuting some of the credits to others) this would keep a lot of action in the top 200 and balance the game for new players. It's not really a DDay device. Maybe it should be called a Conflict Device- after Conflict Theory.

If The game isn't balanced like this, then the server will have a slow death through inactivity. I don't think anyone finds a server which is inactive and dead very interesting.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 02:02:14 PM by MeGuaRen » Report to moderator   Logged
Chrys
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 08:04:20 PM »

This theory is flawed and silly. If such a dooms day device is in place I would use 9/10th of my wealth, buy as many ships as possible before the dday device activates. Also, even if the wealth distributes, it wont be a fair fight hardly....you look at your statement meguaren and u will realize what Im talking about. The new players will just receive a jump in power in which they have no way to defend.

The Top tier will still be bored playing with themselves, the mid tier will have a field day because of the new found wealth, and the low tiers will end up sucking their thumbs in a corner.  wounded1

Quote of the day "I have sucessfully countered a lot of people before, espically dday. it didn't show up on the news because i had 0 ships when they atatcked me and they had 0 ships when i attacked them back." Ninjastrike40
MeGuaRen
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 11:30:51 PM »

This theory is flawed and silly. If such a dooms day device is in place I would use 9/10th of my wealth, buy as many ships as possible before the dday device activates. Also, even if the wealth distributes, it wont be a fair fight hardly....you look at your statement meguaren and u will realize what Im talking about. The new players will just receive a jump in power in which they have no way to defend.

The Top tier will still be bored playing with themselves, the mid tier will have a field day because of the new found wealth, and the low tiers will end up sucking their thumbs in a corner.  wounded1

Perhaps I used a technical term.
From the Webster's II New College Dictionary:
wealth- n. 4. All goods and resources having economic value.

A ship - a good of economic value - will also be taken even if you buy it at the last minute.

The top tier will be reduced in power and their power will be redistributed. If the lowest tier is boosted in power from the money they get and are attacked, maybe they will learn for the next time how to keep their money. In all fairness, it is better they had the chance to get to a higher tier. I think I speak for the third tier when I say, it is better to be hit and fall back into a position you were than to have never had the chance to get to a higher position.

As for the top tier, the top tier will be as randomly mixed as popcorn kernels in a popcorn machine. If the amount that is taken away isn't enough to do this, it could be raised so they have more opponents.
The top tier will have plenty to do in defending themselves from the DDay researchers. They will need to design ships within 120% of the researchers power and pummel them. Perhaps the second tier researcher will be a very good designer and you won't knock him out; in a flash you will find yourself below the once second-tier-researcher's power. I expect this Conflict device to be continuously activated.

======================================================
Furthermore, in consideration of this tinyman topic anyone who must power down to hit a lower player, must only be allowed say 1250 ships maximum. This should solve any type of swarmer abuse.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 12:30:51 AM by MeGuaRen » Report to moderator   Logged
SlayerX
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 07:24:04 AM »

its already hard enough to get cash as it is growth is already slowed down because no 1 can find segs fast enough and now if we put doomsday in and some 1 in the top 20 is sucked dry of his cash hes giong to get hit so hard he will have nothing left because every 1 will board him and board him till he has nothing left.

now if we were to increase seg gane from mission by 30-60% every 1 would have lots of segs be able to get a big planet $$$$ will flow in and every 1 will have cash and ships to fight with and pvp will get a second life and defending planets might even be worth it. then emi will have to put in pvp salvage as well.

and then he needs to redo the bounty system maby add 10bil-50bil credits to some 1 bounty when he attacks some 1 wich players an raise them selfs would be nice to see how bad some 1 would want some 1 to get hit and if the bounty is high enough some 1 might jsut do it.

Chrys
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2008, 08:03:42 AM »

meguaren... putting up the dictionary definition is kinda silly. I know what wealth is, however, I never considered anyone would even want to suggest taking away the ships from people. How do you define last minute? If you say those ships bought T-24hrs before the activation of the device, how does one recognize if you buying the ships to replace losses after a hit or not. I do not believe you see such a thing as viable. I work and played hard to reach the top20....then activation of this device, viola, I lose ships and a chunk of my wealth just so that others who couldnt make on their own can hit us. Its beyond crazy. If that is the case, Im gonna stay out of the top 20 by reserving my power. Slayers is right in that people can just board them to nothingness... because you wont have the credits to replenish them. The top 20 will start hiding and evading just to recover their economy so that they can attack people. Which ultimately does nothing but maintain the situation if they havent been brutally slaughtered.

That is a very juvenile kinda way to even the playing field...heck, take the wealth from the wealthy to arm the poor so that they can shoot you better. It beyond silly. We need to look at other options. Slayers idea is viable however, the pace of the game may get too fast and you have people maxing out to early.

And please please please
"
Perhaps I used a technical term.
From the Webster's II New College Dictionary:
wealth- n. 4. All goods and resources having economic value.

A ship - a good of economic value - will also be taken even if you buy it at the last minute. "

I didnt get my masters to have someone post me this sort of things. Your idea hasnt been thought out properly and critically flawed. If you do not see it after this post, I wont bother to try anymore.

Quote of the day "I have sucessfully countered a lot of people before, espically dday. it didn't show up on the news because i had 0 ships when they atatcked me and they had 0 ships when i attacked them back." Ninjastrike40
SlayerX
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2008, 08:15:47 AM »

yeah the game might speed up 2 much and we might max out in 5 years instead of 10.

if i grind away lets say 3k turns i make a mil segs with the increase i would make 1.5mil segs so ok i would use a day less turns.
meaning people can put those days into tech or put them into segs.

not that it matters to me 1 way or the other it will end im not giong to stay in the top 20 diong nothing but missions and saving cash.
its already hard enough to find encounters since emi wants to keep them around the lvl of all the peoples FP ( time to remove the inactives emi ) im lucky to find 3-5 encounters for every 9k turns i spend and im lucky if 1 of those is a bio. wich would not be a problem but my commander doesnt get Xp form missions so getting cps is a long waiting game for me.

even if i take a vacation for a month nothing would have changed but the fact that im 300tril richer and no 1 attacked me. the server is just to slow.
Chrys
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2008, 08:31:57 AM »

you are right, there must be some incentives to grow beyond where you are now. Doing encrypts now has proven to be more of a nuisance than anything else because the items i get are simply crazy. I get 1-4% bonus items, bronze hacks. I do not even see the precious 34% bonus items anymore ever since i broke in lvl1800 encrypt. The only turn item i do get are +1~+4 turn items. A some sort of incentive is needed to continue to want to grow and get bigger ships.

This was something I guess no one foresaw at the begining of the server. Stagnation. The top does not need to grow because theres no one to hit. The mid cant grow because the top will own them in a bad way without means to recover fast enough before the vultures strip them. And the low end suffers in the end.

the top cant grow, so they invest in techs and mods for want of something to do. The mids even if they are able to challenge the top, they simply cannot fight the tech and mods the top has built up.

options to level the playing field? giving more segs might work, but kill certain techs like warp and cloaks. Increase bases HP/ATK and ACC values to maybe a trillion. Increase segs means higher income, but with lack of cloaks, one needs to defend the system with system fleets which will take up wealth. However, I suggest that for system attacks, boarding will not be possible. Otherwise I can simply board the system fleet to drain you of cash then attack you direct.

Giving more avenues to spend credits would help balance out the increase in segs. What do you think slayerx.. viable?

SlayerX
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2008, 08:56:07 AM »

aye boarding on a system fleet is rather bad reason i dont put them up you can ezly kill them using board since there is no resupply no base defence will help against board.
plus system fleets cant warp so you can over power the fleet so increasing the attack on a fleet in a planet system should also cost 100turns.

rediong the bases might work atm there push overs even with tech lvl 15 and 500bil worth of missles cant defend a base.
atm its so ezy to kill a base im wondering why i need to send in 1 single 100bil ships to take out a base it was a lot back then and it isnt worth teching up bases now.

the basic base should have atleast 20tril hp then it would be worth investing in shield tech (with maby a max absorb of 90%-95% might be over kill but hey bases cant warp)

ofc all the other techs will need to be upgraded aswell making it a very touch cookie to crack at planets wich a defending fleet.
MeGuaRen
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2008, 05:17:00 PM »

I'm not sure which side Slayer is arguing, so I don't know if I really have the heart to respond to him:
its already hard enough to get cash as it is growth is already slowed down because no 1 can find segs fast enough and now if we put doomsday in and some 1 in the top 20 is sucked dry of his cash hes giong to get hit so hard he will have nothing left because every 1 will board him and board him till he has nothing left.
Very next post
yeah the game might speed up 2 much and we might max out in 5 years instead of 10.
and inside that very post
even if i take a vacation for a month nothing would have changed but the fact that im 300tril richer and no 1 attacked me. the server is just to slow.

So I'll leave him to argue with his other half.

On the other hand, Chrys, if the people who gave you your masters heard you using your masters for the reason why you must be correct; they would take it away for that is not a very educated thing to do. Someone with a masters should be able to argue logically without flaunting a masters or saying "Your idea hasnt been thought out properly and critically flawed. If you do not see it after this post, I wont bother to try anymore." without giving supporting facts.

Allow me to quote my favorite author, Ken Follet, on this matter.
"The monastery's senior physician, Brother Joseph, stood beside the patient. Joseph wasin his thirties, a small man with a big nose and bad teeth. He said: 'the wound should be kept open and treated with an oitment to bring on pus. That way, evil humors will be expelled and the wound will heal from the inside out."
" Matthew spoke up with surprising confidence, apparently undeterred by Anthony's scorn. 'I've seen many wounds like this on the battlefield, Father Prior,' he said. 'The best treatment is the simplest: wash the wound with warm wine, then stitch it closed and bandage it.' He was not as deferential as he looked.
 Mother Cecilia interrupted. 'I wonder if our two young monks have opinions on the question?' she asked.
 Anthony looked impatient, but Godwyn realized what she was up to. This was a test. Perhaps Saul was the rival for her money.
 The answer was easy, so Godwyn got in first. "Brother Joseph has studied the ancient masters,' he said. 'He must know best. I don't suppose Matthew can even read.'
 'I can, Brother Godwyn,' Matther protested. 'And I have a book.'
 Anthony laughed. The idea of a barber with a book was silly, like a horse with a hat. 'What book?'
 'The Canon of Avicenna, the great Islamic physician. Translated from Arabic into Latin. I have read it all, slowly.'
 'And is your remedy proposed by Avicenna?'
 'No, but-'
 'Well, then.'
 Matthew persisted. 'but I learned more about healing by traveling with armies and treating the wounded than I ever did from the book.'
 Mother Cecillia said: 'Saul, what's your view?'
 Godwyn expected Saul to give the same answer, so that the contest would be indecisive. But, although he looked nervous and shy, Saul contradicted Godwyn. 'The barber may be right,' he said. Godwyn was delighted. Saul went on arguing for the wrong side. 'The treatment proposed by Brother Joseph might be more suitable for crushing or hammering injuries, such as we get on building sites, where the skin and flesh all around the cut is damaged, and to close the wound prematurely might seal evil humors inside the body. This is a clean cut, and the sooner it is closed the faster it will heal.'
 'Nonsense,' said Prior Anthony. 'How could a town barber be right and an eucated monk be wrong?'
 Godwyn smothered a triumphant grin."

Now I don't want to hear a Prior Anthony or a Brother Godwyn; however, I would love to hear your opinions as to why my system wouldn't work. Allow me to repeat the original so Slayer might have a chance to observe it:

No nebula; New technology called line of Sight Blocker allows you to be "nebbed" from an/the individual who has attacked you three times in the last 24 hour
New money mission. Reward is the same for everyone, but mission difficulty and power is determined by wealth
New DDay that once activated and developed will destroy half the wealth of the top twenty! Top twenty can attack anyone at this time, but using within 0-120% of the defenders power. When top twenty player gets halved he loses random 1/3 of CP and level. After DDay, half the top twenties stolen wealth is distributed evenly to all other players.

Now Chrys, we might be arguing because we have different values. I believe the War Server should be about constant war. Growth does not matter./ I believe that you believe the wars server is about holding rank and not fighting.
That is a very juvenile kinda way to even the playing field...heck, take the wealth from the wealthy to arm the poor so that they can shoot you better. It beyond silly. We need to look at other options. Slayers idea is viable however, the pace of the game may get too fast and you have people maxing out to early.
I don't know whether a game can have a juvenile opinion about it, but then again perhaps you are better at seeing sides as you were able to see which side Slayer was on. ;)
Allowing the newer people who did not have the chance to be in the game since the beginning to get all of the experience some of the others have will allow them to join the big fights even quicker.

As for maxing out too early, I believe loosing 2 digits of your power every three days and some of your CP that give you special abilities because you've been around longer than newer players, will not allow you to max out. In fact, I believe this should keep everyone around the level at which you are allowed to start research- default 200!
The set credit reward for everyone, I had suggested will allow the lower players to pull themselves into the fight, too.

Please, present which points you don't like and why, specifically, you don't like them. And sure I will be graduating HS with an Associates and you might not like that, but that has nothing to do with SO Wars.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 08:26:57 PM by MeGuaRen » Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: