Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 07, 2024, 02:10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: SO Collection...in BOOK form?!?!?!?  (Read 17672 times)
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »

Ok guys, here's what's up. I've been keeping this quiet until I got reasonably close to finishing my new SO short story.

Through the wonder of the internet, I have found a way to publish the SO stories on a demand basis, saving me a LOT of money, and thus making it 100% possible I will publish them. However, as this community played a huge part in crafting the stories, I want your guys's advice on how they should be priced. Mind you, this IS advice, so don't assume I will price it exactly where you guys say. But It'll be reasonably close most likely, or spot on, depending on what price you name ect. Also, please keep the prices in USD (United States Dollar) as I live there, and that's format I'll be using.

Keep in mind the following however:

1. I am going to be adding to each story, and completely reworking the 1st story (it doesn't flow with the rest of the series right, and that irritates me, plus its too short), so they will NOT be exactly like they are, though most will remain similar, I will also be adding a few "extras" in there, to make it worth purchasing.

2. Each book will be OVER 100 pages long (Not by much is my guess, depends on the size of the book itself, if its tiny, might break 200 pages, lol)

3. The stories have been removed from the forum and my site, as I AM publishing them.

4. They are going to be paperback (only option available) black and white with a color cover (custom by...someone, I'm talking to a few people, if you think you're up to the challenge, send me an example of some of your work and reasons why I should pick you for the cover to my email below).

5. And no, free is NOT an option.

Obviously I'm not charging insane amounts for the books, but I can't go dirt cheap either. So shoot me your thoughts.

Also, on a secondary note, would people wanted signed versions of the book? Obviously a signed copy WILL cost more, as i have to have the book sent to me, sign it, and THEN ship it to you wherever you may be located (thus, depending on location, you may pay more for your signed copy than others due to shipping and handling, I'm NOT footing that bill...would cost a FORTUNE, however, the signed version of the book will be cost the same for everyone, which that will depend on how much the normal book is selling for). If I do signed versions of the book, I'm thinking of including the following:

1. Signed book

2. Certificate of Authenticity

3. possibly some other extra to be determined

I want to hear from you guys, all of you.

And Emi, I'll need you to release the rights of names, places, ect of Space Odyssey to me. Doing so in an email will be fine for me, I trust you won't sue me, and also how you would want me to give credit to you in the book, since you DO own SO. Currently I'm think the following:

Based on the broswer based MMORPG Space Odyssey By Sir Emi (or your real name if you wish) for more information, see www.spaceo.net.

My email is andrewb.dewar@gmail.com emi. And for the artists, send me a copy of your work (it does NOT have to be done by hand, if you can do stuff in some online program, you may) and why you think i should choose you for the cover art to my email. Please note, you will NOT recieve a portion of the book's cost, however, you WILL be credited in the book. This is for fame only people, I don't have the money to pay you for your art, if i did, i'd go with some big fancy person, lol.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:18:27 PM by Seither » Report to moderator   Logged

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:54:34 PM »

cool deals 1

personally, I would think for around 100ish pages, I would think between 20 and 25$

tho keep in mind, over the past 2-3 years I've bought and read a single (JUST ONE!!) book and that was about 250ish pages iirc

so I wouldn't actually know pricing of good books, or even what a good book would be, lol.
Report to moderator   Logged

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »

100% possible? As opposed to 50% possible? Very unique grammar. I'm kidding.

I am no trade expert, but the average book price for adult paper backs seems to be ~15,00 USD. It all depends on production costs, of course. I would not look at that high of a profit margin, though, as you are trying to break into the industry.

Now, here is kind of the way that I see things. Keep in mind that this just my opinion.

Your books' potential market is partially limited. The main market segment would, of course, be those who have played SpaceO. Outside of that main sector, bar word of mouth and your own advertising, you likely will not get an extreme amount of attention. Do not think that I speak doom, far from it. I do not speak what will happen, only what might happen. It is possible that your books will become the next cultural phenomenon.

My personal mantra has long been:

"Expect what has been given,
  Attempt what may be achieved, and
  Hope for all things possible."

Now, that being said, if you can get your books published, and can do so without jeopardizing your future, I strongly suggest that you do. I mean, how cool would it be to be a published author? You would certainly have a better conversation starter than anything I could come up with ^_^". Not to mention, it would look good on ye olde resume.

With all of that, good luck to you. I truly hope this experience lives up to all of your expectations.

P.S. Make sure you are really nice to Sir Emi. This is his I.P., and you want to stay on his best side, in this regards.

P.P.S. Don't take anything I say too seriously. I have no actual experience in this matter, and thus I am mostly speaking out of my arse.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:22:30 PM by Chronos » Report to moderator   Logged

Genotype
Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »

Cool - although good luck on getting emi to release his ip to you  19
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »

Well, if Emi sticks to what he said before, he will release the IP to me, I mean, it would be free advertisement, lol. The only thing I need IP wise is the name Space Odyssey, people, and places. Pretty much everything else in the stories is original content. Worse comes to worse I have to rename a lot of things in the series.

and also, Chronos, the book will be listed on amazon.com too, so i'll have a decent reach as far as such things go. And production cost wise, i dare not go below $10 or so, as i will not be making much money that way. It's looking like the book will be about 150-200 pages actually. and the profit margin, so to speak, does depend on a few things, but atm, at where things stand before i've done any editting storywise, each book costs $7.50 to make total, all the publishing fees ect there. So I may not make tons off the books, but i'm not exactly looking to either, my goal is published, lol. But you make a fair point about the audience. And I wasn't planning on going too high with the price, i read a lot, and books of this sort range from $15-$20, so i'll probably be somewhere in there, but i figured i'd ask my people what they think.

jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:12:29 PM »

sounds cool. id say about $15 is reasonable, no more if you plan on getting ppl outside SO to buy it. EMI, big advert for SO, definately help Seither out.

and, hey, am i in it? if yes then id say at least $15.02 16

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »

Wow, way to bet your self-worth high, jessiedog. An entire 2 cents...

Anyways, ya, your books will definitely be available to the most people on Amazon.com. I cannot think of anyplace better, though I do not know their process when it comes to listing new items. Make sure you look into their process ahead of time.

And 14,95 USD to 19,95 USD is certainly a good price range. I doubt I would put it at below 10,00 USD.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 05:19:19 AM »

processing is the exact same time as normal processing, already looked into it. i can't remember if its average of a week from purchase to customer recieving, or a week from purchase to ship out, something like that.

And if i put it below $10 i'll be earning like...$2 a book, lol. if that >_< atm, the cost to produce per book (the rough draft) is $7.50 with all their fees and what not. but $15 is what i seem to be getting all across the board on whre to put it at, i'll probably put it right in that general range.

also, i notice no one has said anything about purchasing signed versions, do i presume this means they are not wanted and the idea should be scrapped? or that you guys skipped that part of my post, lol.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »

I meant the process for getting the item listed. You know, your long trudge through bureaucracy, wherein you convince the bigwigs, secretary, or automated widget that yours is an actual product worthy of showing up on their megastore search engine.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

best part...I don't NEED to do that. its already part of the deal, amazon just gets a cut of the profit for each book sold (20% for them).

So no trudging for me, just the following steps:

1. publish book
2.????
3. PROFIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sostesteg
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 08:57:40 PM »

Generally at a bookstore I pay about $8 for a paperback.  But if this is going on the internet I would go for 10$-12$ each.... and maybe you could make a box set for a cheaper overall price :p if that were the case the individuals should go for 12$-13$ at most (I honestly wouldn't pay more for anything shorter than 200-300 pages, but then again I am cheap)

Synchronized Empire(#102386)
jessiedog
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »

ouch 20% is a bit pricy.

if the $15 is not including shipping, it might be a bit high as well, the case set might be a good idea

And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »

unfortunately, i cannot DO a case set (i'd need multiple books, and I'm only 1/2 done with the 2nd book, lol) or i would at somepoint, s don't expect that unless a major publisher decides to pick me up. However, the book is rapidly (and by that i mean like....beyond insanely fast) approaching the 200 page mark due to the size I am using for the book, so its going to be a decent sized novel. With everything I'm doing/adding to the novel, I'm expecting it to hit about 300 pages or close to it.

and Jessie, your average publisher requires 60%+ of the books sales until you sell a TON of copies. so a 20% (40% if it was purchased via amazon, as amazon takes 20% too for the listing)fee is NOT bad, especially considering even with amazon's fee, I'm still earning most of my profit, AND amazon has a huge reach, thus a lot more potential customers.

and Sostesteg, if I did $8, I'd owe the place doing my publishing $1 a book >_< also, where i live, unless the book has been out for a while, the cheapest paperback is $15, and hardbacks start at $30, then go down a long time after they are out. Idk where or when you buy your books, but industry standard is $15, which is what it looks like I'll be going with. I'm not calculating shipping into my book price, as thats not how prices work, a book online costs the same as in a store. (shipping and handling isn't too expensive for most places, about $6 for standard, which gets you it in a week, or they have economy, which takes about 2 weeks and is like, $2 or so.)

I WILL do my best to make it worth $15, I'm making the 1st story longer and better, fixing some things in the 2nd and 3rd, and adding a few extra things to the book as well. I buy books myself, so I know you always want to get your money's worth. I will NOT go over $17.50 for the book, even if it ends up being 500 pages, that is the HIGHEST you will be paying (and $17.50 is only if I hit 500 pages, lol). and if i sell enough of the 1st one, when the 2nd one comes out, I'll probably drop the price for the 2nd one *wink wink*.

I *may* be able to do discount codes or something, i'm not sure, if i can, i might do some sort of giveaway event, we'll see, i'm not sure what all is/isn't possible yet. We'll see what happens once i'm done with the final draft, which should be soon.

Until then, Hobey ho.

SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:00:05 AM »

Seither, I think this can be awesome for Space Odyssey, especially if you have success with the book.

So I will give you permission to use the Space Odyssey name, and places, stories and anything related to the game that might make the book more interesting. I think that by reading the book, many will be inclined to also try the game and embark on a SO adventure.

Be sure to include the www.spaceo.net website and state that you where inspired from the virtual world of Space Odyssey.
I think you should use the term virtual world, as not everyone knows what an MMORPG is...

You will receive the email today.

Thank you and good luck.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 10:16:30 AM »

Seither, I think this can be awesome for Space Odyssey, especially if you have success with the book.

So I will give you permission to use the Space Odyssey name, and places, stories and anything related to the game that might make the book more interesting. I think that by reading the book, many will be inclined to also try the game and embark on a SO adventure.

Be sure to include the www.spaceo.net website and state that you where inspired from the virtual world of Space Odyssey.
I think you should use the term virtual world, as not everyone knows what an MMORPG is...

You will receive the email today.

Thank you and good luck.

Thank you emi, and I will use virtual world to describe Space Odyssey, and I wouldn't dream of leaving out the website address, lol. *goes to scour for anythign else he can use to enchance the SO I Trilogy book.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: