Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 19, 2024, 06:20:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: take it or leave it  (Read 5977 times)
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2008, 01:53:55 AM »

ok, I'm just gonna say it plain and simple... and you can delete if you want, I understand parts of this is against 'TOS'... but it just HAS to be said. it has been bugging me for weeks, months, possibly even years since it was started... so I'm finally just gonna say it.  and people, if you start flaming, I'LL delete this post, and then you'll just look an idiot replying to a blank post. so please.  if your gonna rant, go elsewhere.

turns: please remove ALL ways to get additional turns except base 1 turn per minute (including donations)
to offset this, lower turn cost in research to about what cp costs is atm, travel time reduced about 90%, and mission time costs 3-4 turns (instead of 15) and PvP costs 1 turn

CP: please remove ALL ways to get additional cp except for lvl'ing up (including donations).
to offset this, take out all CP requirements in research, and reduce cp costs for abilities by around 75%

these are things that should not have been added.  they are supposed to be core parts of the game mechanics and not supposed to have 'free gimmies' (no, I am NOT talking about donations... talking about how easy it is to get extras of these) and is ruining spaceo as whole.

everyone else doesn't really want this because we like zooming up in power so much and maxing out so quickly, but it really does need to be done to make spaceo an actual turn based rpg again.  right now it's more or less half turn based, half real time game

ok, there, I said it.  now when these aren't done, and spaceo gets worse, I can at least say in my mind I did tell you so.

now... to clarify what I did NOT say in this post, so people don't try to read between the lines:
- I did not say donating is bad, let emi keep his money he deserves it
- I did not say commander system is broken... just cp is for lvl'ing up, not finding an encounter
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:01:38 AM by ars68 » Report to moderator   Logged

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 01:58:35 AM »

well said ars, well said indeed. couldn't agree more.
Report to moderator   Logged

Spayed
First Sergeant

hey hey hey :D

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 04:46:16 AM »

i only like the turns idea becuase it is almost impossible 2 gain any turns anway..

cp isnt a bad idea, but both could only be implemented if the things u said 2 off set them would be implemented aswell.

although it would give donaters an incredible advantage because turns and cp would be such a rare comdity, the winner would almost certainly be the biggest donator.

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 03:47:02 AM »

ok... spayed... read it again... what I wass aying is turns and CP should not be able to be bought.  at all.  whether by real money, or missions, or encounters, or ANYTHING.

the only way to get turns, should be by waiting... because turns is an indication of HOW LONG YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING. 

the only way to get cp, should be by leveling up... because cp is an indication of HOW HIGH A LEVEL YOU ARE.

to have it other ways, imho, is a disregard to how it's supposed to be setup.

example: how much would an rpg be, if you were able to just randomly give yourself extra stats, as much as you wanted, for free, without levelling up?  don't get me wrong, SOME extra stats is sometimes nice, a little advantage to make it a bit easier.  but your able to give as much as you want, and it's TO easy.  you'd fly through the entire game never having actually fight anything.  at that point you may as well have made it a movie.

I understand emi is setting it up for other things... including being able to pay for stuff... but honestly... it wouldn't hurt if he had it normal.  from a gameplay viewpoint? none at all.

and I only say this because evidently my 1st post was a little confusing...

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 03:39:19 PM »

i agree completely Ars, the buying of turns and cp kinda goes againt the type of game this is.

Spayed
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:25:42 AM »

why i bother to try and agree with you i dont know...

you should be able to donate for turns or cp if you like, you pay you should get the benifit, THATS THO WHOLE REASON PEOPLE DONATE... take away peoples ability to do that and the game will die because em dont get any income.....

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
TNTTony
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 04:46:59 AM »

I have to admit, Emi needs some form of income coming in. A $20 gold account is great but that is a yearly thing. Having the ability to donate for turns and cps is a good idea from a *business* point of view like Spayed said. It allows a steady stream of income coming in.

However, Ars, you make a good point. Turns and cps are core statistics. I like your analogy of an rpg where you can pay for a increase in stats.

So the question is this:

What ideas can we come up with so Emi has a steady stream of income coming to support Space O but at the same time not allowing people to donate for turns and cps?
Spayed
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:47:13 AM »

we could all kill g unit, if you can see them on the rankings screen (i cant can u guys??)

im sure emi would get a steady stream of income when people have to donate to attack the mighty G unit...

tony, unless voting for money becomes more valuable then you cant give emi a steady stream of income and not allow voting for turns and cps...

G unit sucks...

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »

spayed stay on topic.

and ars isn't saying not donating, you could still donate for segs and credits, just not turns and cp.

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »

and if you've been up anywhere high in rankings... you should know it all comes down to credits ANYWAY.

more credits, you can build yourself that max power ship, and just use turns you already have to get trils of credits per mission.

and if for any reason emphasis got changed to segs... well, same thing.  you could just donate to get max segs and pwn everything in sight.

you donate for turns to get what? more credits? more segs? more cp?
you donate for cp to get what? easier time getting more credits and segs and possibly turns?

like I said, by all means, emi would still have a steady income, in fact, I'm sure half the profits he gets is from credits anyway, people paying to buy replacement ships (tho no one can know for sure except emi himself)

anyway, the point is, turns and (for the most part) cp are things suposed to be core stats like previous person said.  having ANY way to get more of them (whether it be donating, missions, encounters, items, w/e) is really not that great imho.

also, think of it this way.  I spend x amount on everything all at once.
or I spend even more over time to get that same amount by working for it.  and by playing to get that much, I may enjoy it more by having to do things I may not have had to do otherwise, and stick around longer.

case in point: rpg game isn't great because of a cool ending alone.  if you could skip to the end, a lot of people probably would, but they would also miss all the great jokes, subplots, plot twists and boss battles in between.  leading to a lackluster experience overall.

Spayed
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 04:38:49 AM »

haha if ive been anywhere up near the top?? look at the rankings some times ay, im there most of the time...

if you had been anywhere up in the rankings you would realise its not all down to credits, there are people who have more money then me and yet i will beat them this round. how can you explain that??

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »

better ship power to credit designs, more time online, poor management on thier part.

The gameplay wouldn't change much, jsut how long it takes to max out, making it more of a fight for it, more interesting, not jsut who plays enough and gets lucky with their turn missions/ect.

Spayed
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 04:29:06 AM »

hahah but ars said it all comes down to money...

and the game play would change...

with turns being shorter the most effective way to play would be to grind incursion all day long...

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 03:57:50 AM »

granted there are things you get that isn't just from credits.  but if you get 1 million cp, it only gets you so many bonus's, like so many %'s of what you have.

you get 1 million segments and it only helps so much, unless you put it in biofarms, which then goes back to credits.  or warehouses, which again, credits.

you get 100 billion credits, and it don't matter what fleet you had before if it's lower then that, your going out and buying 15-20 bil credit ship fleet and storming the missions

ultimately you DO need the other things to help strangthen the ships, but it's still ultimately to do missions... to get more credits... to build bigger ships.  am I not right?

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 04:05:00 AM »

really spayed? because the gameplay hasn't ALREADY changed so drastically that the game doesn't resemble anything it once was. Ya, that DEFINITELY never happened.

Two things have to happen to make SO even a semi-successful game anymore (and don't tell me it is, becuase Emi is always talking about getting more players for a stronger fanbase, and i kno that at least 50% of the accounts on SO are alts) is the following:

1. A revision like Ars has suggested, something limiting turns and CP from being gained beyond the way they are meant, aka time and leveling.

2. A complete reworking of the inner structure of the game, such as turns, PvP, ect, to make them work with the current growing structure.

You seem to act as if Ars and I wish to destroy SO, we're jsut trying to help by getting people to want to stay and play for more than 1 round....and probably even less than that.

SO is dying, and fast. Either we do something to save it, or we won't have to worry about the grinding anymore at all, much less playing a non-existent game, as eventually too many people WILL quit for SO to maintain a stable income, and emi will be forced to shut it down.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:08:36 AM by Seither » Report to moderator   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: