Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 18, 2024, 11:39:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vacation Mode  (Read 24094 times)
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2006, 01:36:24 AM »

Ars, I made tons of counters to your suggestion, but here, let me tear it appart for you again. The person who leaves gets jipped because they fall far behind. Even a week without growth can finish the round for you, as you'll never catch up. The attackers get jipped because they cannot use that person to grow on. It's not fair to either player. My idea is close, though still slanted in favor of the vacationer, which it should be, but the attacker should still be given a fair chance to hit the person, wither they're able to play or not.

And shadows, I'm saying as for the whole of SO it would be a bad idea. I always look at suggestion for the effects on the whole game, not just me. So please, don't try to act like you know how I'm viewing this. I'd like to see this game improve, not diminish, and to do so, it has to be as fair as possible to all players. Would you want to play if someone could just freeze their account with 10 trillion, like ricu, and wait until the end of the round then come out of nowhere and win because of it, all because you couldn't hit them while they were frozen? I'd quit if that happened, and with ars's/most everyone elses suggestions, something like that would be easy to do.
Report to moderator   Logged

ShAd0wS
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2006, 11:29:11 AM »

Monkey, if ricu has 10 tril, he doesnt need to go into vacation ot be safe, he can keep all money on hand if he wanted then just use the 10 tril at the end of the round ot jump up nyways...

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2006, 11:35:04 AM »

ah, but your vacation mode would let him keep his ships is my point. Then when he comes back it's an easy win. That is what I'm pointing out.

charmuska
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »

How is killing his ships now easier than killing them later?  You seem to contradict yourself a little bit.
Even if he can keep the ships better this way, why is it so much better than him keeping the money to buy those ships later?  Is there some distinct advantage to being #1, where every ship is twice as good for the same cost?  If not, it shouldn't matter where he freezes.
If someone wanted to go on vacation mode with power fleets out, he gets more attention, nebbed upon return, and nothing more.  What advantage does this bring?

People aren't growing by leaps and bounds when they leave either.  How is not gaining interest so much more devastating than gaining some, then having to spend it replenishing fleets?

At times, yes, having one more target can help (at one point, 2/3 people I could attack who had ships were my accounts, and the third had too many marines to steal his ship).  But how's it different if someone's nebbed vs. in vacation mode (as far as the attacker's concerned)?
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »

because they were saying the vacationer be in a permanant neb, so if they leave for a month, thee's a month of a neb. Second off, let's say commander A has 100B in his base and 5% growth, the max for non-gold. Every day he earns 5B. He's gone for a month. 5*7*4=140, he loses enough to double his secret base. And the advantage is that he froze his account with good ships, and did it for 3 months we'll say. During that time, another commander makes a ship that can take the vacationing commander's ships out. D-Da comes around, and the commander who was froze is now able to play again. He quickly shoots up to the top because of his reserved ships, and the guy who could of destroyed them earlier lost his ships to a mission. Now no one can beat the frozen commander, so he wins. Then if the guy is frozen and not able to be touched and D-day rolls around, another commander could have raided him and gained credits, but can't because he is untouchable.

FTP
First Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »

Have not readed everything but this is how I see vacation mode:
1. You may not go in vacation mode if ppl have still counters on you.
2. Vacation mode will take atleast 2 days.
3. If a leader goes on vacation he can choose who ever is in command till his return.
4. No growth or what ever is possible at this acount. It totaly freezes. If you go in vacation mode with 10 trill you'll coem out with 10 trill. (and no turns gained)
5. When Dooms-Day starts everyone goes automaticly out of vacation mode.
6. Eveyrone who is in vacation mode will have a V symbol at the place of the nebula symbol.

There are no disadvantages about this. None of the holiday seekers will have an disadvantage, they just have to not attack in 24 hours aint that hard.

As shadows said whats the differents between putting 10 trill credits on hand and reservign all fleets and going on vacation mode except that now you dont lose youre workers/segments (the idear of vacation mode).

It will always take 5 min for you to go into vacation mode so if someone is already attacking you he wont just boom egt stopped becus you quikly push the vacation button. And as minimum time is 2 days you cant do a f**k for those 2 days. You wont have interest turns etc so you wont improve youre time.

Now dont say if you do go on vacation mode you lsoe so much interest and stuff you wont be able to get up again, well its youre own choice to use this option you dont have to use it. And you can even ask another player to play for you.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2006, 07:24:15 PM »

Ok, how are you not jipping the other players with this? They cannot benifit from that person who is in vacation mode. They are getting jipped. That's why I said give the vacationers their interest, but make it so they have to set a resupply fleet with a max amount of ships that you determine how many it is, but they go neb at 10%, which is a pretty fair balance. This way, they get to leave and grow still, but people can attack them and use that to grow in power. But they can't do this while they have counters on them.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2006, 07:49:15 PM »

... but make it so they have to set a resupply fleet with a max amount of ships that you determine how many it is, but they go neb at 10%, which is a pretty fair balance.

But then all they'd need to do is set them to produce powerships and they get a perma-neb and interest.

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2006, 09:57:18 PM »

Ars, I made tons of counters to your suggestion, but here, let me tear it appart for you again. The person who leaves gets jipped because they fall far behind. Even a week without growth can finish the round for you, as you'll never catch up. The attackers get jipped because they cannot use that person to grow on. It's not fair to either player. My idea is close, though still slanted in favor of the vacationer, which it should be, but the attacker should still be given a fair chance to hit the person, wither they're able to play or not.

And shadows, I'm saying as for the whole of SO it would be a bad idea. I always look at suggestion for the effects on the whole game, not just me. So please, don't try to act like you know how I'm viewing this. I'd like to see this game improve, not diminish, and to do so, it has to be as fair as possible to all players. Would you want to play if someone could just freeze their account with 10 trillion, like ricu, and wait until the end of the round then come out of nowhere and win because of it, all because you couldn't hit them while they were frozen? I'd quit if that happened, and with ars's/most everyone elses suggestions, something like that would be easy to do.

ok...  breaking this again down to points, I will show you right here how NONE, not a single one, is actually legit.

1: The person who leaves gets jipped because they fall far behind. Even a week without growth can finish the round for you, as you'll never catch up.

as opposed to what?  coming back from the vacation that will happen sooner or later anyway, finding that instead of falling behind week or 2 in interest, is instead back pretty much where they started MONTHS ago?  21 nice point there seither, really makes sense  21 sorry, but no go here.

2: The attackers get jipped because they cannot use that person to grow on.

while you may have a point to an extent of someone losing a potential victim to attack, it ends right there.  what are they going to take?  if it is just workers and credits in secret base, fine.  if that was just it, I would have no problem with it.  however, if they take segments, that means eventually in so many attacks they will run out of segments to take ANYWAY, and because the person who plays the account can't get back on and correct the situation, the only thing that can be taken will quickly diminish, totally jipping the person who left, AND jipping the attacker in the long run, as now he has lost that 'potential' victim 'potentially' for the rest of the round, instead of for just a couple weeks.  and even then, most of the time, it is MUCH MUCH more profitable to go ahead and launch a volley of attacks ona bunch of MISSIONS, as they grow in profit with you, not like someone who consistently yields less and less rewards every time you hit them. sorry seither, but I think that's a no go here to, in more then one way.

3: Would you want to play if someone could just freeze their account with 10 trillion, like ricu, and wait until the end of the round then come out of nowhere and win because of it, all because you couldn't hit them while they were frozen?

(and quite possibly the EASIEST out of the 3) Seither, let me give you a hypothetical situation, if EVERYONE around you, I mean everyone, from the lowest point that could attack you, all the way to number 1, all of a sudden froze their accounts attempting to do this, and remained so for months, do you:
a: sit there and do nothing waiting for them to come out
or
b: grow stronger then them thanks to the fact that NO ONE can even attack you, let alone hurt you.

of course the answer is B, who wouldn't, unless they SERIOUSLY wasn't actually interested in playing.  by the time they come back with those 10 trillion, the other people around them may end up be using QUADrillions.  hence, in their attempt for a shortcut to #1, they instead doomed themselves to anything but #1, as anything they build then would be matched and overwhelmed, especially when would only have 24 hours to make their comeback, with everyone else being able to freely attack them.  so once again (and for the 3rd and final time) still a no go with those counterpoints.

so I say again, WHAT reason could you still possibly have to be so adamant about being against a vacation mode?  and besides, even if they COULD do 3, all sir e would need to do is to disable re-supplying of ships for the last 1-2 minutes of play, where then anyone trying to build that last minute powership fleet would just get shot down.  I simply do not see how any of your points are in all reality of the game, able to happen.

in short: Seither, for the love of all that is good, STOP comparing someone in vacation mode to someone who normally plays.  the disadvantages of someone trying to abuse the vacation mode CAN be extreme, but IF they are truly simply wishing to be gone for a long time, they will be gone anyway, so instead compare someone in vacation mode to someone inactive for that time, because if they are going to just be inactive for a while, they will more then likely be gone for a couple weeks max, then be back plenty of time to re-strengthen themselves. 

and even if the penalties WERE extreme, to the vacationeer, SO WHAT? then that would simply give people 1 less reason to abuse it, and leave it for only those who truly are using it for what it was intended to be.

oh, and FTP, I basically said what you just did.

which leads me to a second point, about your 'proposed' vacation mode idea, which can be shot down with this REAL situation.

If the #1 person did it, with even a 2 day wait, that is right there with the max turns you are able to have.  so he goes into your vacation mode, comes back every 2 days to use all his credits and everything, and it will almost be like he played like normal.  even with longer times, say 5 days, he comes back every 5 days, throws ALL his credits on hand, uses all his mission turns, and goes back in.

this could never happen with my version of it, because he leaves with 10 turns, he will come back, with 10 turns. 

and even without it, the interest would still allow you to do it, just not as much, and without interest, you may as well go with my idea, as it will pretty much be the same.

oh, if he is allowed to attack every 24 hours, every 24 hours for a couple weeks, the person will lose up to 2/3 of 10% of all his segments.  you do the math.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »

I'm not against it ars, I'm saying unless we meak it really fair, it shouldn't be added, because while it may improve parts here and there, people are smart, and someone will find a way to abuse it big time, so they can be unstoppable.

And with my idea, we can restrict the type of attacks to attacking, scouting, and raiding only, and cut the amount of segment rewarded for a victory if needed. Like I said, the idea I put up is slightly slanted towards the vacationer, but it should be, but at least the other players may still attack them. But to be fair, any attack would leave a counter that once the person returned from vacation, they would have twenty four hours to use it.

And ars, I said give them interest, not turns. Their turns should remain frozen, but they should be allowed to continue growing.

This is the whole reason I say we might as well not implement this. It cannot be done fairly where someone can't abuse it or isn't getting cheated out of being able to grow. We could cut interest greatly or something, maybe make it so workers still produce credits, just so when they come back, they at least did some gaining. Also, we can make it so once you've activated vacation once, you must wait a set amount of time before you can do it again. and we can make a minimum of a week, since most people who go on vacation go for at least a week.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2006, 05:11:12 PM »

Perma-neb would be much simpler, and more abuse free.

Anyways, don't forget that if somebody finds a remote overlooked way to abuse vacation mode, Sir Emi can just banned and fix the used method of cheatery. Of course, we're still going to have to iron out every possible abuse we can think of before hand.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2006, 05:15:22 PM »

Exactly. Maybe once the game evolves a bit more, it'll be practical, but i say until then, no, it shouldn't be added.

ShAd0wS
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2006, 09:35:15 PM »

And with my idea, we can restrict the type of attacks to attacking, scouting, and raiding only, and cut the amount of segment rewarded for a victory if needed. Like I said, the idea I put up is slightly slanted towards the vacationer, but it should be, but at least the other players may still attack them. But to be fair, any attack would leave a counter that once the person returned from vacation, they would have twenty four hours to use it.
ok if you get less out of hitting a person in vacation mode and they still get a counter, and can grow almost unchecked while not there, y would you do it? that just makes it unpractical to hit som1 in vm, so as a result the person in vm just gets interest, workers, maxes out turns, and gets 1 hti neb evry time if som1 is stupid enoguh to hit them, this would make it an advantage to go into vm for 2 days, come out, use turns, and go bak in totally safe...
I also dont see how oyu can abuse the vacation mode me and ars proposed, as yo uare totally frozen, and dont give me this gives the vacationer a disadvantage, because if the person thinks it does they dont have to use it... also i have no idea how it could be abused as you are frozen and cant have ny counters on you, so you just stay their pretty much...if i was going away for 2 days i wouldnt bother using it as id be fine, but for a week that would look very tempting as oy uwould lose a lot more hten growth from gettin hit, especailly at low powers... all in all i dont see what is wrong with vacation mode...

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2006, 09:58:17 PM »

finally, someone who agrees with me, I thought I was just ttalking to myself for a while, with no one listening.

ok, seither, for the last time, STOP COMPARING SOMEONE IN VM TO SOMEONE PLAYING REGULARLY!

actually, I don't know WHAT your thinking...

Like I said, the idea I put up is slightly slanted towards the vacationer, but it should be, but at least the other players may still attack them.

seither... don't you mean it is supposed to be slightly slanted AGAINST the vacationer???  if you are making it even a SMIDGEON slanted towards the vacationer, OF COURSE it will be unbalanced.

let me put it this way:

I go into VM for even a week, all this time being gone that week, everyone else will gain, leaving me behind, or closing any gaps between me and #2, if not surpassing me.  which will automatically mean, almost no matter what, it will NOT be worth it to go into VM, but instead stay out of VM, and simply play normally.  If I am simply trying to shortcut to victory to DDay, I will have less a chance of winning now because they will be closer to me then they were before, and still have to survive any attacks for the 24 hours before the end of the round.

NOW, let's say I am ACTUALLY LEAVING for that 1-2 weeks.  if I DON'T go into VM, then that will mean I will get hit unhindered that whole time, without the chance to re-build.  all of a sudden, going into VM looks pretty good, to CUT THE LOSSES.  it has never been a matter of preventing them from losing strength, it has simply been a matter as to cutting unneeded losses.

put it simply: making it slightly against the person going into VM, it will make it unwise to fake the VM.  but it will still be MUCH better then just sitting there getting hit 24/7.  you are saying making slanted in advantage TO the person in VM, which would just encourage people unneedingly to find ways to abuse it further.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2006, 12:05:38 AM »

You people seem too keep ignroing to vats I've said with my ideas.

And ars, I said give them interest, not turns. Their turns should remain frozen[/i][/u], but they should be allowed to continue growing.

This is the whole reason I say we might as well not implement this. It cannot be done fairly where someone can't abuse it or isn't getting cheated out of being able to grow. . We could cut interest greatly or something, maybe make it so workers still produce credits, just so when they come back, they at least did some gaining. Also, we can make it so once you've activated vacation once, you must wait a set amount of time before you can do it again. and we can make a minimum of a week, since most people who go on vacation go for at least a week.[/i][/u].
right at the bold poarts I had already answered the problems. It isn't fair to anyone to completely freeze a persons account, because with the way the game changes, something could happen that gives them a major advantage because they froze their account.

Wnd ars, the people will abuse it either way. we might as well shut the game down because of people being able to abuse too much.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: