Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
May 17, 2024, 01:45:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: defence... or lack thereof  (Read 2763 times)
ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2009, 03:26:38 AM »

ok... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say for the past year or 2... this has not changed. (or at least wiki claims it hasn't)

so... I was playing astro empires and I think I may have an answer to a couple things.

currently: defense is multiplied by 5, then multiplied again by number of ships in fleet
then this is subtracted from the total damage the enemy is going to do.

--example: 100 ships with defense of 2, there total defense is (2*5)*100 = 1000
--example: 1500 ships with atk of 1... 1000 - 1500 = -500 (takes 500 damage)

proposed: let's make it a straight flat rate across ships. attack of ships (before any variables) gets a minus to it for the amount of defense it has to go through. then the new figure will then be used as the number to figure outt he actual attack

-- from previous example, how it would then go, with same ships:
-- example: 1500 ships with atk of 1, gets lowered by 2, this will be less then 0 so is set to 0.

what this will do: (as I see it work in the other game)
defense will become something useful for larger superships only.  it will make them immune to attacks of ships with attack less then there defense. 
swarm ships will become much more limited in usefulness as if it can't do damage... it can't kill
superships hitting other superships won't be affected to much... as they will naturally have high enough attack unless it is to far outclassed (which in that case it's screwed anyway)

and if your wondering why I said it to be taken into account BEFORE shields and accuracy... quite simply it will have the least effect then, AND the easiest to code (not that this would be easy anyway)
Report to moderator   Logged

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
TNTTony
Staff Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 06:27:07 AM »

I'm neither against it  or for this suggestion purely because its one of those suggestions that needs to be seen in action.

With the current system, the 1500 ships (call it fleet B) damages (or destroy, depending on fleet A hp) the 100 ships (fleet A). With the proposed system fleet B does no damage at all. That seems a radical change in defense.

It does seem easier to calculate with the proposed suggestion but maybe not as many strategies can be drawn from it. Space O is a double edge sword. On one hand its complexity is what makes it special but its complex nature is also its downfall.
A^Bloody^Idiot
Staff Sergeant

KartBoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:22:04 AM »

I'm sorry to post this ars68, but this idea is totally NOT gonna work... 10

'Cus if you say it'll only be good for super ships, that means it'll only be good for 1 ship in the fleet (right? as mostly you only have 1 ship in the fleet for your super ships)

This means that 1 defence would take away 1 attack from the attacking fleet (while you defend)
As you only have 1 ship, with this update it will only remove the Defence, as defence is 40 times more expensive than hitpoints, so people will only buy hitpoints (like they do now I believe)..

But this is in PvP..

In Missions:
I think you mean it will be good for doing missions, I agree, then it will be handy, but then again, in missions you don't always come across swarmers/tiny men/suicides I always come across super ships aswell,
Example: My ship has currently: 1 bill attack and 2 bill HP, if I were to put several to defence, I would have like: (1,5 bill / 40 = ) 37,5 mill Defence and 500 mill HP left, If were to to come across a super ship then in a mission, I most likely will lose my ship, so this update will remove the killerfleet item, but it will probably create a killer-ship item (I think)

So, I will not support this suggestion, but I like the idea though on the one hand, maybe with some adjustements it can be put in properly 1

Greetz, ABI w00t2

A^Bloody^Idiot (#10) - SO Elite
A^Bloody^Idiot (#14) - SO WARS
A^Bloody^Idiot (#66) - SO PVE
A^Bloody^Idiot (#10079) - Sea-O
Spayed
First Sergeant

hey hey hey :D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 06:15:47 AM »

i dont need funny calculations. ill just say no

Kyle!! (#8446) - main
Spayed (#7) - main
Spayed (#75) - wars
Spayed (#94) - pve
clouthour
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 09:15:30 AM »

i dont need funny calculations. ill just say no

lol

KenquinnTheInsaneOne
Master Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »

Hell no Ars bad bad bad bad bad bad bad idea.....
DarkChaos
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

I think there are plenty of other things wrong that need to be fixed before this should ever even be tested.. Not trying to be mean ars, but it seems that this just isn't one of the major things that needs to be fixed at this moment in time..
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: