Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
July 01, 2024, 12:24:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Vacation Mode  (Read 25398 times)
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

A True Hero is made of: Power, Wisdom, and Courage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 11:59:40 PM »

no, because then those who go on vacation for a month get jipped. It just won't work, because no matter what you do it won't be fair.
Report to moderator   Logged

Borg!
Master Sergeant

Learn from the past; to prepare for the future.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 12:00:56 AM »

if they go on vacation for a month they will be safe for a week and in this game if you go on vacation a month anyways your kinda jiped anyways because of the chain of attacks you can get unless you have one huge ship and a lot of credits in your hand so you can resuply marines every time

the borg(#183) wounded1 Borg!(#170) I'M ON TO YOU!
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong."
Finis
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 11:49:27 AM »

If you have to leave for a long time, find someone who plays the game that you trust, like an alliance member or something, or just a friend who will be home while your away, and have the manage your account. Give them detailed instructions on what to do and not to do.

Didn't you have problems with the person doing things you didn't allow for them to do? (I seem to recall something to that effect.) Even if I'm wrong on that, you still have to find someone that you can trust.

Ok, well guys, let me just build about 1 trillion powerships once this gets implemented, go into vacation mode, make a second account (which is allowed) and wait until D-day activates and is about to end, and then log back into my first account and deactivate vacation mode. Guess what? I just took 1st place without even trying. See why it's a bad idea? If this were a game where you couldn't attack other players, it would work wonderfully, but this game relies on PvP (Player vs Player) attacks, so it won't work.

This could be fixed by still allowing the normal everyone can attack everyone during the dday hours.

Another possible fix for the whole problem is to still allow attacks to occur, but refund a percent (doesn't have to be large 5-10%) of the cost of ships lost to the credits on hand. I like the idea of restricting access to messages and alliance board only during the vacation.

no, because then those who go on vacation for a month get jipped. It just won't work, because no matter what you do it won't be fair.

It may take alot of work Monkey D. Luffy, but eventually we may come up with something fair enough.
Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 01:46:52 PM »

Ok finis, how about this then, i build my 1 trillion powerships, reserve them, then go on vacation. now you can't destroy them and I don't have to worry about losing my money because I'm in a permanent neb for the time I'm gone.

Trust me, a lot of mmorpgs have something like this, and it isn't fair to anyone. You can't balabce it.

Finis
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 02:05:15 PM »

As I said... eventually we may come up with something fair enough. I never said it would be a perfect system. Alot of details would need to be worked out to prevent abuse of the system. I think it is worth the effort to make an attempt to create a vacation system.
ShAd0wS
Lance Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 04:59:20 PM »

monkey: if you have the cash to build 1tril powerships and vaction mode doesnt last in DDay then wahts to stop you from just keeping the cash on hand and jumping up to high power in the last few seconds nyways? since cash on hand cant be touched then the money is safe nywaysm and just not in ships, and if oyu are in vacation mode oyu couldnt do nything with the ships nyways...  ithink it might work with some limitations... like maybe max vacation mode is a week and once used you cant use it again for 30 days, D-Day cancels  vacation mode, and maybe even your power is set to a very low level (like 1k or something) and all ur ships get put on reserve... that way it would cost ya a bit to go into vm but could still have benefits...

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 03:14:21 PM »

It wouldn't work at all, there is no way to balance it. If you limit the amount of time it is put on, those who are vacationing more then that get jipped, if you don't limit it, those who are still playing get jipped. The fact is, with a sytem like this, this type of game can't fairly play it. There would always be someone getting jipped, no matter how hard you try to balance it. And no Finis, it's not worth the effort of Sir Emi to waste months trying to balance something that cannot be properly balanced. It's a good idea, just not practical guys.

Midnight44
Staff Sergeant

Midnight44

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 03:23:30 PM »

Something like vacation mode would require a lot of work to create, but I think that the bugs and glitches could be worked out of it if given time...

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 11:14:28 PM »

Vacation Mode:

-cannot be activated if you have attacked someone in past 24 hours (takes care of counters)

- no limit to how long, but a minimum of 3 days (max turns is worth 2 days already, so less then 3 is not needed anyway)

-DDay phase 2 cancels ALL vacation modes (anything further on 'if I then just had 1 tril pships' is really pointless, as stated before.  if you had that many, and could un-reserve them, vacation mode would have nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, to do with it, as they couldn't be touched anyway)

-Account is frozen, cannot log in unless it is cancelled due to DDay.  if you need to read the messages, that would mean you could get on, which means vacation mode was unnesecassary anyway

all in all, this will really put the person in vacation mode at a disadvantage.  the reason being, for 3 days solid, he will not grow whatsoever, meaning this whole time will be more time for others to catch up to him.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Lammalord
First Sergeant

Lamma.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 11:47:14 PM »

no vactaion mode BOOOO

that would mean all luna has to do is enter vaction mode and we never be able to attack him 10

Finis
Private First Class

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 11:50:23 AM »

I know this is an obvious exception to your first point ars68, but just so it is noted. Your counter attacks wouldn't count in that restriction.

As for the reading messages it could easily go either way, but you do make a point.

All-in-All ars68, I like it.

And Lammalord, if luna enters vacation mode, luna wouldn't gain any power according to ars68.
Midnight44
Staff Sergeant

Midnight44

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »

Ars68's plan is nearly flawless. I support it 100%.

Chronos
Sergeant First Class

Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 04:15:56 PM »

If you need to read the messages, that would mean you could get on, which means vacation mode was unnesecassary anyway

I have had many times where I was able to get internet access once or twice during my long vacations. Now, once or twice in two weeks ain't worth no vacation, but it would be nice to be able to check up on your clan during those rare occassions.

Oh, and Midnight44, you have no clue to whether it's even credible, let alone nearly flawless.

Seither
Lord of the Post Count

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 04:16:27 AM »

It's no where near flawless, and I can tear it apart with one counter point.

Vacationer automatically forfieted round. Since they don't grow, even a week in this game is detrimental, but most people go on vacation for at least a week, sometimes two, or even a month! So for them not to grow at all ends their chances of being able to win.

Antoher point, though not needed, if you can't log in until either d-day happens or your vacation timer runs out, what happens if you end up coming home way earlier then expected? now you CAN play time wise, but due to your vacation setting, you CAN'T get on, which hurts your account.

Like i said, it is a great idea, but not practical as someone will always be getting jipped a whole lot with it in this type of game, and Sir Emi just doesn't have the time to fidle with attempting to balance this. when he has a lot of other updates that are in que to be added and are highly practical. It just won't work, I've checked every possible senerio, you cannot balance this equally for this game.

ars68
Master Sergeant

Viva la C&C

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 03:31:53 PM »

to save time, I put luffy's counter points as 1 and 2:

1: it is better then the alternative, being getting your account kicked 24/7 for that whole week.  and it is sorta the point to put him at a disadvantage for leaving.  he will be at a disadvantage for leaving no matter what.

2: that is also sort of the point.  he must then be ready to use vacation mode ONLY when he has to, and not for a second longer then necessary.  If he is planning on a vacation, 9/10 once it gets time to leave, he is leaving for the whole time.  however, there can be a set minimum wait time though, like 3-4 days, then after that you CAN leave, but again, this allows people to abuse it somewhat.  also, compared with current system of turns and such, you could probably safely end the vacation 1-2 days earlier then you plan on coming back.

and about DDay cancelling it, it is like this:

in phase 2 of DDay, everyone can attack anyone, regardelss of power levels or anything.  and phase 2 of DDay cannot be cancelled, altered, or halted unless sir emi himself changes it, which if it is going off, will most likely mean if he does anything to it, it will be shortening it.  and once the 24 hours is up, EVERYONE is reset to 250.500 power, which as most of you can see, is so low that simply getting a bunch of segments will skyrocket you out of range.   and so then he has no real need of vacation, as he is most likely not going to get attacked, and if he does, damage will be (almost literally) non-consequential.

so you see, it makes perfect sense, the whole way through.

control the present, seize the future. seize the future, conquer the past. conquer the past, control the present.

that and cookies. lots and lots of cookies 1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: