Forum - Space Odyssey MMORPG - a massive free online space game
June 28, 2024, 08:49:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: New game Astro Galaxy launched by ET Virtual Worlds, http://www.astro-galaxy.com

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to protect against scam  (Read 2681 times)
Gunfighter Frank
Master Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2007, 12:29:17 PM »

I just got an Email from someone that looked just like it was from PAYPAL requesting that I update my account information.  if you get one IT IS A SCAM Paypal does not request that from email.  this did not have my name in it so it was not from PAYPAL.  if you get one log into your paypal account like normal and check your information.  and report the Email. to Spoof@paypal.com.  I just got off the phone with the Paypal people, since all my scam alerts went off when I did click it.  Remember if you have any questions call paypal. and use the normal paypal login do not click the link in the email.  even though it says it is the same as the paypal link.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:02:35 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

Gunfighter Frank

Semper-FI

DO or DIE
SirEmi
Administrator
First Sergeant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:56:13 PM »

I can assure you it has nothing to do with Space Odyssey.

A few tips on how to spot those scammers:

Paypal will never send you an email asking you to click a link to login, if you receive a checkout link, always make sure the link starts with www.paypal.com. If the link is an IP address, or something else than www.paypal.com, then it is spam / scam.

If you receive an email like that, check the full headers, it should show the originating server that sent the email, send the headers to paypal security or one of the anti-spam sites, they should deal with them swiftly.

There are spammers that will gather email addresses in order to send those spam emails, they don't know if you have paypal or not, they just spam a couple million emails hoping to scam someone.

It's called phishing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

Article on how to spot email phishing:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/phishing.mspx

God Speed commanders!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 03:00:22 PM by SirEmi » Report to moderator   Logged

BadGuy
Sergeant

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:46:37 PM »

I've seen many of these and even ones supposedly from banks.

Never click on links in e-mail but use a new window and type in URL directly to websites.
Report to moderator   Logged
djjcuk
Sergeant

tho' I seek perfection, I wear my scars with pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »

Hey guys... I just got that... thanks for the help!!! I wasnt sure whether it was a scam or not...  2 but now I know... thanks...  19

The enlightened man would offer a weary traveller shelter for the night and share a quiet conversation over a bowl of... coco-puffs...

Commander and chat mod djjcuk(#43519), Ultimate Weapon

"Why do hot dogs come in packages of 10, but hot dog buns come in packages of 8?" - Bulletproof Monk
Smee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 03:14:14 AM »

ouch paypal is being phished now that sucks monkey ballz
i know myspace is huge for that crap

be careful be safe

and if at the end of the url says .html its probably a fake
and also i would recommend mozilla firefox over IE

just an opinion not here to start a fanboy flaming over the 2

SmeeZus
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print